User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    ^I think he was talking about something more or less like this.
    Except there's not a fork or a spoon in that.

They describe it as "a camping utensil that can serve as a knife, fork and spoon," not a pocketknife, which is how I'd expect them to describe it if it were a pocketknife with a fork/spoon in it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Ive seen "Swiss Army Knives" with spoons in them however and miniature butter knives...no spoons though. But they make them now with all kinds of "utensils" in them. And thats what made me think of it.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I stand corrected:

That's the kid and the thing he brought to school. I agree with 01011010.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Ah Ha, told you so....Uh sorry, slipped...

But seriously, what was he going to do? Spoon someones eye out? That blade isnt even long enough to kill a small dog, or sharp enough probably.

Edit: And on one level I do agree with, uh...binary but the parents cant always be blamed. The child may not have even thought about it being a problem at school and just wanted to show it to friends. So probably took it with out the parents knowledge. The teachers and faculty are to blame, like Oberon pretty much stated. Its not the policy thats the problem but the administration and their fear of political and legal backlash.
    SDMF

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    The teachers and faculty are to blame, like Oberon pretty much stated.
    I'm afraid you misunderstood me. I intended to state that the problem is inherent in the public-school model. I think it's a broken paradigm that serves nobody very well, and have opted my family out of it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Is it really that much of a hardship not to have weapons at school? I really don't see how that's a political thing.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Update: http://www.helpzachary.com/

I think this is the weird part. Seriously? Even if he were suspended at the school they should just let him come back after a day. I wonder what this is about.

On Tuesday, September 29th, Zachary brought his camping utensil to school to use at lunch (spoon, fork, bottle opener, and knife). As he was getting off the bus, a teacher asked him what he was holding in his hand. Zachary showed it to her and explained why he had brought it... to eat his lunch. The teacher gave the utensil to the principal, at which point Zach was suspended from school pending a school district hearing.

The School District committee recommended that he be alternatively placed at The Douglass School, a reform school for juvenile delinquents.
    This is the same school where they place children who have severe behavioral problems and who are guilty of such offenses as assault and battery, rape, drug offenses, concealing a deadly weapon, and more. Since there is absolutely zero chance that we will allow that to happen, the only hope for Zachary being able to rejoin his friends at Downes Elementary is if Christina School District Superintendent Marcia Lyles or the Christina School Board intervenes to overturn the committee's decision.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Suspension and reform school is seriously crazy IF it's really the result of just the pocketknife thing. Gotta wonder if that's the whole story, though.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Is it really that much of a hardship not to have weapons at school? I really don't see how that's a political thing.
    No, that's not a hardship at all. What's a hardship is that some Cub Scout takes what is essentially a working tool to school with him and immediately becomes the focus of a controversy because the implement happens to have a sharp blade on it. You might think that that's a weapon by definition, because it has a sharp cutting edge. I disagree; I have many tools with sharp cutting edges that are not weapons, because their primary purpose is not to do damage to other people.

This is an idea that critical thinkers can get, but when you establish a political bureaucracy the capacity for critical thinking is one of the first casualties. This poor kid is facing weeks of punishment, a media circus, and possibly a period of institutionalization because of a camping implement he carried in his pocket. My kid keeps his .22 in a gun case under his teacher's bed while he reads about Charles Martel and the Battle of Tours. Which one do you think is getting the better education?

And the political effect pertains to much, much more than simply weapons policy. How do public school teachers manage an unruly classroom? Lay a hand on a student and you face political repercussions. Order a student out of your classroom and you could be blamed for interfering with his right to an education. Send too many students to the principal, and the principal (who is your boss) will downgrade your job evaluation on the basis that you can't control your students. Well, you can't; all the tools you might have used to do so have been taken away. If you can't negotiate willing cooperation from every one of your students, only a handful of deliberately disruptive children can destroy a learning opportunity for all the rest.

This is why police get called to schools. Public school teachers and administrators have little or no legal right to use physical force on a student, but police officers do. The cop can physically remove a kid from a classroom without being legally liable, as long as he follows procedure. He has the standing to do that.

These are extreme examples, but it's the last extremity of a school model that was and is inherently flawed because it allows politics to influence the policy of educators. Home education has many flaws of its own, but that one isn't one of them.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Amen.

Whether you're in a gang or you're a boy scout, you don't need a knife in school and school administrators shouldn't be expected to make exceptions about what weapons should be allowed and who can carry them.

As for the reform school sentence the kid got.... that can't be half as bad as going to Boy Scouts, am I right?! harhar