User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    We were told that in Ohio now they have to report bullying, just like they to have to report sexual abuse.
    Oh, like that's going to make a difference.

We always knew we could run to the teacher. The question was, was it the smart thing to do in the long run?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    We always knew we could run to the teacher. The question was, was it the smart thing to do in the long run?
    Why wouldn't it be?

I always ran to the teacher. It always worked out well for me. Then again, I was kind of a teacher's pet... always got As, dressed more like the teachers than my peers, never broke the rules, and was always polite and compliant. I suppose it's possible that they were more willing to help me because I was right kind of person. If you're a bad kid, it might not be very smart, I guess. But I wouldn't know about that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Agh, I wrote an essay about schools' zero-tolerance policies, it's horrible.
    There's the common belief that it's not teachers' jobs to discipline their students, so they turn things over to the authorities. Besides the racial discrimination, kids who're arrested for this stupid shit get to keep that on their records, and they're taken out of school for a while and slip behind in their classes. More importantly, when you're labeled at such a young age as a "criminal" or "delinquent," it stays with you.
    I'd be pretty freaking discouraged and unhappy with school if people kept slapping those labels on me, to the point that I become what others expect.
    And I just realized that the kid in that article wasn't exactly arrested, lol. Though the same things apply.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thats my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who cant go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide View Post
    Agh, I wrote an essay about schools' zero-tolerance policies, it's horrible.
    There's the common belief that it's not teachers' jobs to discipline their students, so they turn things over to the authorities. Besides the racial discrimination, kids who're arrested for this stupid shit get to keep that on their records, and they're taken out of school for a while and slip behind in their classes. More importantly, when you're labeled at such a young age as a "criminal" or "delinquent," it stays with you.
    I'd be pretty freaking discouraged and unhappy with school if people kept slapping those labels on me, to the point that I become what others expect.
    And I just realized that the kid in that article wasn't exactly arrested, lol. Though the same things apply.
    Yeah, I think it's wrong to arrest kids for what amounts to carelessness in most cases. Ostracizing young people doesn't usually help them, it just puts them on the path to getting into more serious trouble as adults.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Why wouldn't it be?
    Because an adult is not always present. For instance, when walking home from school or the bus. And then kids take twice the beating.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    What they are doing is raising a generation marred by institutionalised bullying. Society undermining the authority of law by putting justice out of reach of those who stand to learn the most from it.
    In thirty years you could end up with a lot of anarchists. The question is whether they will be the ruling or the rebel class.
    Well obviously, from the amount of drugs they've forced down our throats to keep us quiet in the happiest days of our lives, to allowing power-hungry school boards to ruin the lives of many out of fear from media who praises local authoritarianism(Every syndicated news show ever, plus Oprah). It will happen, it's just a matter of when.

My cheers of praise to the Baby Boomers.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Haha, in my high school we weren't even allowed to have scissors. Zero tolerance policy~

Some chick in my art class brought in her own scissors and the teacher saw her. She had a freakout and the girl was kicked out of class. I think she didn't come back for an entire week. I mean, she was just cutting paper... Huh? I thought it was hilarious though. Soon they are going to start banning pencils.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Every law, rule or policy on every level only hurts the innocent and glorifies the criminal.

Edit: Interestingly enough I just found out a new policy my old high school has enacted. They now randomly drug test students on a weekly basis. Use a automated computer system, pull the kids out of class, and force them with the threat of suspension to take a piss test.

Personally im appalled and feel this is an inappropriate violation of their privacy.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

From the description, it sounds like he brought one of these:

which I pack into my daughter's lunch whenever she takes one from home. I'm pretty sure her school has a zero tolerance no-weapons policy but oddly enough, she has never gotten in trouble for it. Only the most ridiculous of zero-tolerance policies would consider that a possible weapon.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

^I think he was talking about something more or less like this.

...mine looks like this

SDMF