User Tag List

Thread: Food Inc.

MBTI
    INxJ

Default Food Inc.

In Food, Inc., filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that has been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of our government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA. Our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. We have bigger-breasted chickens, the perfect pork chop, herbicide-resistant soybean seeds, even tomatoes that won't go bad, but we also have new strains of E. coliŚthe harmful bacteria that causes illness for an estimated 73,000 Americans annually. We are riddled with widespread obesity, particularly among children, and an epidemic level of diabetes among adults.

Featuring interviews with such experts as Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), Michael Pollan (The Omnivore's Dilemma, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto) along with forward thinking social entrepreneurs like Stonyfield's Gary Hirshberg and Polyface Farms' Joel Salatin, Food, Inc. reveals surprisingŚand often shocking truthsŚabout what we eat, how it's produced, who we have become as a nation and where we are going from here. Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change? - About the Film

Watch here: Ninjavideo.net - Food, Inc. (Flash)

Kind of long, but very interesting. Not vegetarian propaganda.

It's illegal to publicly criticize meat in some states, and those of us that eat meat might be consuming cloned animals without knowing. In California, Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill that would have made it mandatory to label packages of cloned meat. Also, illegal immigrants had their jobs taken away by U.S. corn manufacturers, and then those same people were recruited by the meat industry for cheap labor.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Also, illegal immigrants had their jobs taken away by U.S. corn manufacturers, and then those same people were recruited by the meat industry for cheap labor.
    I don't understand this statement. Jobs taken away? Is that like stealing someone's car?
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't understand this statement. Jobs taken away? Is that like stealing someone's car?
    No. Many Mexicans prefer America's cheaper corn, and that put many native corn farmers out of business. I just think it's interesting that once they were jobless, American meat companies came in and recruited people for work even though it's illegal.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Uh... huh...

We have bigger-breasted chickens, the perfect pork chop, herbicide-resistant soybean seeds, even tomatoes that won't go bad, but we also have new strains of E. coliŚthe harmful bacteria that causes illness for an estimated 73,000 Americans annually. We are riddled with widespread obesity, particularly among children, and an epidemic level of diabetes among adults.
    Small issues here... selective breeding did that already, herbicide resistant stuff REDUCES the amount of poisons yeu ingest compared to organic crops, the new strains of E. Coli are unrelated to cloning food or genetically engineering it, obesity is more about the fact that, even with these genetic alterations *REDUCING* the cost of food... that's right, reducing, organic food costs 20-70% more in most cases, we're stuck eating cheap junk food which's unhealthy but costs far less... and diabetes among adults is moreso related to the previous factor of unhealthy eating, both eating more sugary foods, and eating meals in a clump rather than smaller meals due to our more busy schedules these days and less reliance on 3+ meals per day; that and of course the adult diabetes is actually GENETICALLY INHERITED meaning that people who used to die from it, now that we have this fancy thing called MEDICINE, no longer die, and actually have children, passing on the genes... making it far more likely for the next generation to acquire diabetes.

Sorry, but the crap they're spewing has nothing to do with the things they're comparing it against, and some it's the direct reverse case. Genetically engineered foods are better for yeu, cheaper, and help the farmers and the people eating them... they reduce the obesity level by both making nutritious food more nutritious, but also by making it cost effective compared to junk food, or at least moreso than organically grown stuff.

Maybe they should use less sensationalistic arguments, and actually pick some that actually relate to the problems they're trying to discuss >.>

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

No. Many Mexicans prefer America's cheaper corn, and that put many native corn farmers out of business. I just think it's interesting that once they were jobless, American meat companies came in and recruited people for work even though it's illegal.
    Was the hiring of illegal immigrants unique to the meat industry?
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Small issues here... selective breeding did that already, herbicide resistant stuff REDUCES the amount of poisons yeu ingest compared to organic crops, the new strains of E. Coli are unrelated to cloning food or genetically engineering it.
    In order to genetically modify foods a virus must be placed into it to break open the barriers, so scientists can alter to their hearts content. If you can't see the correlation between injecting produce with viruses and the actual outbreak that occurs with these foods, you're delusional. There's nothing sensational about the film, just the facts. You'd know that, if you actually stopped to watch it before yammering on with your usual nonsense.

Also, high fructose syrup (corn) is in most products. That does spike insulin levels, which makes many people gain weight. Any company that makes criticizing them or their products illegal, has something to hide.

Was the hiring of illegal immigrants unique to the meat industry?
    It doesn't change that it did (does) occur, and that these companies are united. It makes sense that they would choose business strategies/decisions that benefit one another.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It doesn't change that it did (does) occur, and that these companies are united. It makes sense that they would choose business strategies/decisions that benefit one another.
    So you're accusing them of collusion?

MBTI
    INxJ

So you're accusing them of collusion?
    Not exactly. I am certain their interests are aligned, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they definitely collaborate together behind the scenes. Though, I'm highly skeptical of the coincidences that benefit one another.

For the record, there wasn't really any mention of them working together in the film that way. Just the usual stuff like corn is used to feed all the animals that are raised for consumption.

MBTI
    INxJ

Main points:

1. Shows republican woman and her mother lobbying for stricter regulations on food labeling/production, ever since the woman's son died of an e coli infection from meat.

2. Illustrates the way factory farming works, and includes info about injecting certain meats with ammonia to stop bacteria from spreading. There's also a veterinarian explaining and showing that e coli forms inside cow stomachs in the first place, because cows unnaturally consume corn. No peta drama showing pigs laying dead in their own vomit. Just simple facts of operation, and the downfalls of the current methods from the animal to employment.

3. Free range farmer shown humanely raising, killing, cleaning, and selling animals for consumption.

4. Corporate farmer explaining they can only raise what the public wants. If the public demands healthy food, farmers will deliver. The overall focus seems to be showing how the industry works in the first place, and that the public will be healthier by investing their money in local produce and free range meat.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I am very particular about what I eat.
    A majority of the food I consume is from the perimeter of the supermarket:

(1) Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
    (2) Lean Meats
    (3) Lowfat, Organic Dairy Products
    (4) Whole Grain Breads from the Store's Bakery

I buy/use/eat very little that is frozen, canned, or boxed. I barely eat candy or desserts. My diet is essentially that of a well equipped cave man.

You don't have to buy ALL organic fruits/veggies in order to reduce exposure to excessive use of pesticides/herbicides/fungicides by farmers. Bananas, onions, broccoli, corn, potatoes, etc. are all fine to buy whether organic or not. But strawberries, apples, rasperries, pears, etc. are slathered with chemicals, wax, and other ilk to reduce crop losses in the fields and during shipping to the marketplace.

Regarding meat, I know Tyson chicken has touted for years that they do not use any hormones in their products. The beef industry has been cited as using Trenbolone/Finaplex, an anabolic steroid used to bulk up cattle and hence increase yields and profits.

The dairy industry is perhaps the most toxic of all. The U.S.A. is the only country that allows use of recombinant bovine somatotropin (rcbvh), which is esssentially growth hormone, in dairy cows, forcing them to lactate on an ongoing basis. Dairy cows are also pumped full of antibiotics to reduce the infections that occur frequently as a result of the chemically induced perpetual state of lactation and the less than sterile environment the cattle are exposed to in such an industrial setting.

The worst case of all I have ever heard of was a European pharmaceutical manufacturer that sold surplus inventory of birth control pills (estrogen) to ranchers in Central America. The ranchers administered the estrogen pills to their cattle, and boy they sure did fatten up. What they didn't count on was that the estrogen would be transmitted into the milk (and products derived from milk, like cheese, yogurt, butter, etc.) and ingested by end consumers. There were reports of 8 year old boys with "C" cup breasts in the regions where these cattle were raised, processed, and consumed.

I don't know how much grain can be screwed with as a result of genetic engineering and what not, but I know that I love bread with butter on it so I am going to keep eating it and just convince myself that sticking with whole grain products is the best bang for my buck, and for my health.

All of us live on a limited budget. It is important for us all to make intelligent choices about our diet and overall nutrition, as they are integral to developing properly while young, and maintaining good overall health once we are grown.

Junk foods like Doritos, Oreos, Pop-Tarts, Potato Chips, Hot Dogs, etc. are similar to illicit drugs. Just because they are produced and available, does not mean that you have to use them. Even though manufacturers make filthy, poisonous food/food products, no one is forcing you to eat them. Individual choice is very powerful when exercised by an educated and disciplined person.

Eat well, exercise, take a multiple vitamin, and see your doctor regularly. Enjoy the benfits of living in an industrialized society, and avoid the pitfalls as best you can. Live well and have fun, this is not a dress rehearsal!