User Tag List

View Poll Results: Nobel Peace prize is it more "politically expedient" to accept?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

17 37.78%
  • undecided

9 20.00%
12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Was it “politically expedient” for Obama to “accept” the Nobel Peace Prize

Ok here is the situation:

You are Obama, a first term U.S. President. You would like to get reelected. One morning out of the blue you are offered the Nobel Peace Prize. From a point of view of political expediency, particularly in getting your proposals passed and ultimately in a better position to get reelected. Do you accept or deny it? (Please respond to this answer strictly with political strategy in mind)

I don’t know the answer, am curious what you think is the best strategy.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

If he were smart, he would've denied it. I listened to his acceptance speech, and determined that his arrogance would never allow him to do that. Now he's gonna get a lot A LOT of ridicule over the whole thing. He would've looked really good to deny it.

MBTI
    STFU

i think if you are anyone it would be hard to turn one down. even if i was someone like hugo chavez or henry kissenger i would chuckle to myself and accept it.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    He would've looked really good to deny it.
    i actually would have respected him for that
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INTJ

Denying it is a slight to the scientific community. While he would have earned the respect of many people who dislike him (like myself) it wouldn't have been worth it.

He's not Satre.
    wails from the crypt.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Not just the people who dislike him. The whole thing makes him look bad to to anyone with some sense of rationality.

MBTI
    ESFJ

[Cross-posted with similar thread on INTPCentral]

Obama is going to be mocked for this everytime he sends more troops to Afghanistan or Iraq, or when he reminds Iran that military intervention hasn't been ruled out, or whenever he does anything else that is vaguely associated with the military.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    SEXY

Yeah, should have turned it down. He's only been in office for a couple of months, and hasn't done anything to make the world a better place in particular. Sure, compared to Bush Junior he's an angel in foreign politics, but so far he hasn't really achieved anything. It was a mistake by the Nobel prize committee in the first place, but Obama should have realized that and shown modesty.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah “I” would have "respected" for doing that. But would the “voting public” 3 years from have the same respect for him as a person who denied the Nobel Peace Prize or a stronger candidate because he was held the Nobel Peace Prize?
    This is not the question but something I am unclear on to help me answer the question as far as strategy. The optimist side of me says the public would respect him more for denying it but the pessimistic side says no they would be more impressed that he was the first sitting president since Wilson to get a NPP(i.e. everyone loves a winner.)...My realist side is uncertain.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Yeah “I” would have "respected" for doing that. But would the “voting public” 3 years from have the same respect for him as a person who denied the Nobel Peace Prize or a stronger candidate because he was held the Nobel Peace Prize?
    This is not the question but something I am unclear on to help me answer the question as far as strategy. The optimist side of me says the public would respect him more for denying it but the pessimistic side says no they would be more impressed that he was the first sitting president since Wilson to get a NPP(i.e. everyone loves a winner.)...My realist side is uncertain.
    Food for thought: Considering how one person's actions may be viewed by others in society and what effect that would have is a realist perspective. Taking into consideration people's personal thoughts and feelings as it applies to the big picture and future events is a key component to having an accurate realist perspective. If you can properly judge and predict human behavior and perception, you can come to the proper conclusions. You may dismiss certain perceptions as being irrational, but they are entirely relevant to how the future will manifest.