User Tag List

View Poll Results: Nobel Peace prize is it more "politically expedient" to accept?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

17 37.78%
  • undecided

9 20.00%
First 4567816 Last

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think it was wise to accept. He DID admit openly that he didn't deserve it, and stated that he's accepting it only as a token of their faith in his ability to do something. But I think actually rejecting it could be construed as symbolic of rejecting peace, or thumbing your nose at the scientific community. They offered to him as a gesture, and there's something to be said for not looking a gift horse in the mouth. It looks arrogant in one way to accept it, and arrogant in another way to reject it. The whole situation is unreasonable, and one he shouldn't have been in in the first place.

Do I think they should have given it to him? No way, many are more deserving.

Do I think he was right to accept it once they did? Yes.

So I have contempt for the people who offered him the prize, but not the man himself. It's their responsibility to award it appropriately, not the recipient's responsibility to gauge their own worthiness of it. They didn't do their jobs well, and if anyone is held accountable for this, it should be them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Once again, why is the onus on HIM to decide what he does or doesn't deserve?

If someone gives you a gift, do you shove it back in their face and say, "No, I don't deserve this"? AFAIK, that's considered rude. The blame and responsibility lies with the people who gave it to him. This isn't like that episode of the Brady Bunch where Jan was given an award by mistake because the teachers miscalculated her grade, you know. They know exactly what he has and hasn't done, and they gave it anyway. He even said that he didn't feel he deserved it. What more do you want? There's no way to reject the gift without being rude.

To show you how ridiculous it is to expect people to make reasonable decisions about what they've earned, imagine what it would be like if we allowed workers to set their own wages. Or allowed criminals to set their own sentences. Do you really think they'd set them to something reasonable? If so, you've failed to understand human nature. One should NEVER expect people to make decisions regarding their own value/achievements objectively. Most either grossly overestimate them, or grossly underestimate them.

There's a REASON why we have someone OTHER than the person themselves decide what a person is worthy of, and a reason why there's a lot of responsibility to be fair and impartial that goes with such a job.
    I agree with both posts. Nice.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    IXFP

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    I agree with both posts. Nice.
    x2

I love this whole forum. So many smart people!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that I agree with Athenian.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I thought it was a joke at first. He shouldn't have accepted it. He doesn't deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

i hope this has been said before, but anyone who denies a price for peace keeping efforts must be the effin devil and he should not be granted access to nukes.

Oberon

On the upside, there is now a write-in campaign to nominate Barack Obama for the Heisman Trophy.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

How much money did he win?

Who wouldn't accept it??... Wow,... Some of you people act as if he were the anti-christ.

It was a delusional election, people voted on the primary principle of CHANGE,...Nobody really said which kind,... Maybe a neo-fascist kind?

All this bullshit reminds me of how history ALWAYS repeats itself!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    How much money did he win?

Who wouldn't accept it??... Wow,... Some of you people act as if he were the anti-christ.

It was a delusional election, people voted on the primary principle of CHANGE,...Nobody really said which kind,... Maybe a neo-fascist kind?

All this bullshit reminds me of how history ALWAYS repeats itself!
    Says the guy with... CHE GUEVARA on his avatar -_- .

MBTI
    INTJ

Anybody offered the Nobel Peace Prize would clearly be wise to accept it; that is not the important question.

The important question is whether or not the candidate deserved it. In this case, it is an unqualified 'no'. What did Obama do to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?

This is pure liberal politics in action, seeking to further deify the untouchable Obama.

Then again, the Noble Peace Prize has become a joke in the last several decades, just take a look at some of the winners:

• Henry Kissinger
    • Jimmy Carter
    • Yassir Arafat
    • Al Gore
    • Rigoberta Menchú

What have any of these individuals done to deserve a prize that is supposed to be awarded to great philanthropists of the day?
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    This is pure liberal politics in action, seeking to further deify the untouchable Obama.
    Exactly. The Nobel Committee is a bunch of evil liberals sent by devil to deify Obama, the anti-christ, their decision is a mere political trick to seize control of the United States. It was influenced by:

• freemasons
    • judeo-bolshewism
    • the Al-Kaida
    • Jörmungandr the sea-serpent
    • Kang and Kodos

VIGILANCE people!