User Tag List

View Poll Results: Nobel Peace prize is it more "politically expedient" to accept?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

17 37.78%
  • undecided

9 20.00%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Was it “politically expedient” for Obama to “accept” the Nobel Peace Prize

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Makes him look bad. The prize is unearned. It gives fuel to an old line of attack against him. It was a mistake.
    +1

Many people who respect him and voted for him do not think the prize is deserved. He would gain more respect overall by refusing it, because it fits the common viewpoint on the matter. Some people are going to hate him no matter what, others are going to love him no matter what. But for the people who can swing either way I think he'd get more respect by refusing it.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Once again, why is the onus on HIM to decide what he does or doesn't deserve?
    He didn't ask for it, or make the decision to get it, but he has the power to decline it. It is considered meritorious to decline a reward you do not deserve. Doing the contrary may be perceived as dishonest, selfish, delusional, or any combination.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It is considered meritorious to decline a reward you do not deserve. Doing the contrary may be perceived as dishonest, selfish, delusional, or any combination.
    Where? By whom?

Why does everyone fail to see how irrational it is that we're focusing on the president, rather than on the committee? What kind of absurdity is it to become disgusted with a person for not rejecting a gift, which might well have been construed as arrogant or rude as well? That's probably exactly what they wanted us to do. If we should be focused on anyone, we should be focused on the Nobel Peace Prize committee. What were their motives, and what were they trying to do by awarding it to such a public figure? Were they trying to solicit donations? Were they paid off by someone? What about their corruption, their dishonesty?

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I listened to his acceptance speech, and determined that his arrogance would never allow him to do that.
    You may think whatever you'd like about his character and politics (or this decision for that matter), but there was no sign of arrogance in his acceptance speech. Actually, I don't see him as an arrogant person at all.

"I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee. Let me be clear: I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments [...]. To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize [...] but I also know that this prize [...] has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes."

<- totally true

Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Once again, why is the onus on HIM to decide what he does or doesn't deserve?.
    To clarify the scope of the question is less on the onus of his character rather, albeit character would come into play to a degree with some of the voting public/political reps, the extent, under the totality of the circumstances on what is “politically expedient”.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    You may think whatever you'd like about his character and politics (or this decision for that matter), but there was no sign of arrogance in his acceptance speech. Actually, I don't see him as an arrogant person at all.

"I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee. Let me be clear: I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments [...]. To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize [...] but I also know that this prize [...] has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes."

<- totally true
    Although I do not think the speech raised a logical basis to morally justify his decision [to me], it nevertheless was a well written speech to mitigate the initial negative fall out caused by his acceptance [to the public].

Perhaps in other words if you were his "paid political consultant" what would you advise?
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Yes, he is talented in manipulating the public.

I don't think there was a need to "morally justify" anything, I simply stated that it is impossible to "determine his arrogance" based on this speech (plus the fact that the Nobel Peace Prize isn't awarded to a certain person, but to the manifestation of a cause).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Yes, he is talented in manipulating the public.

I don't think there was a need to "morally justify" anything, I simply stated that it is impossible to "determine his arrogance" based on this speech.
    I don't know about "impossible" but his delivery was good (I personally could not tell if he was acting or no).

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Why should he turn it down? He donated all of the money to charity. It's not like he kept it for his own personal gain.

Conservatives are so bitter. Over NOTHING.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Rush Limbaugh was highly critical of Obama for accepting the prize. I wonder how he would have responding if Obama refused the prize?

Personally I tend to agree with Rush on this issue to a degree but I think as far as presentation goes he may have over did it when he said he agrees with the Taliban on this issue. Hmm...
    Rush Limbaugh is a flaming moron who flunked out of community college and only got on the radio because of who his daddy was. He's a pill popping fat-ass lunatic.

I sincerely wish I had realized this thread was started by a mentally challenged Dittohead before I even bothered to respond.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma