User Tag List

View Poll Results: Nobel Peace prize is it more "politically expedient" to accept?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

17 37.78%
  • undecided

9 20.00%
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think it was wise to accept. He DID admit openly that he didn't deserve it, and stated that he's accepting it only as a token of their faith in his ability to do something. But I think actually rejecting it could be construed as symbolic of rejecting peace, or thumbing your nose at the scientific community. They offered to him as a gesture, and there's something to be said for not looking a gift horse in the mouth. It looks arrogant in one way to accept it, and arrogant in another way to reject it. The whole situation is unreasonable, and one he shouldn't have been in in the first place.

Do I think they should have given it to him? No way, many are more deserving.

Do I think he was right to accept it once they did? Yes.

So I have contempt for the people who offered him the prize, but not the man himself. It's their responsibility to award it appropriately, not the recipient's responsibility to gauge their own worthiness of it. They didn't do their jobs well, and if anyone is held accountable for this, it should be them.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Makes him look bad. The prize is unearned. It gives fuel to an old line of attack against him. It was a mistake.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Rush Limbaugh was highly critical of Obama for accepting the prize. I wonder how he would have responding if Obama refused the prize?

Personally I tend to agree with Rush on this issue to a degree but I think as far as presentation goes he may have over did it when he said he agrees with the Taliban on this issue. Hmm...
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Makes him look bad. The prize is unearned. It gives fuel to an old line of attack against him. It was a mistake.
    not necessarily. Only to the small majority who actually think. Most people in the world will look at Obama with more respect.

I quit agree to what athenian wrote.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    not necessarily. Only to the small majority who actually think. Most people in the world will look at Obama with more respect.

I quit agree to what athenian wrote.
    "NOBODY EVER WENT BROKE UNDERESTIMATING THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE AMERICAN PUBLIC"

H. L. Mencken
    US editor (1880 - 1956)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

No. I'm not talking about the intelligence in america. I'm talking about the whole world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

No. I'm not talking about the intelligence in america. I'm talking about the whole world.
    +1 Good expansion of the quote.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Rush Limbaugh was highly critical of Obama for accepting the prize. I wonder how he would have responding if Obama refused the prize?
    That's easy. Rush would be just as critical.

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Personally I tend to agree with Rush on this issue to a degree but I think as far as presentation goes he may have over did it when he said he agrees with the Taliban on this issue. Hmm...
    He always over does it. I have doubts he ever uttered a paragraph that wasn't fatally flawed.

My point does not require people to think at all. It requires them to believe particular media machines. It has been spewed all over the airwaves since before Obama was elected that he is an over-praised, narcissistic, false messiah. His detractors who have made that happen will snatch this up with gusto, and mix it into their message.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Once again, why is the onus on HIM to decide what he does or doesn't deserve?

If someone gives you a gift, do you shove it back in their face and say, "No, I don't deserve this"? AFAIK, that's considered rude. The blame and responsibility lies with the people who gave it to him. This isn't like that episode of the Brady Bunch where Jan was given an award by mistake because the teachers miscalculated her grade, you know. They know exactly what he has and hasn't done, and they gave it anyway. He even said that he didn't feel he deserved it. What more do you want? There's no way to reject the gift without being rude.

To show you how ridiculous it is to expect people to make reasonable decisions about what they've earned, imagine what it would be like if we allowed workers to set their own wages. Or allowed criminals to set their own sentences. Do you really think they'd set them to something reasonable? If so, you've failed to understand human nature. One should NEVER expect people to make decisions regarding their own value/achievements objectively. Most either grossly overestimate them, or grossly underestimate them.

There's a REASON why we have someone OTHER than the person themselves decide what a person is worthy of, and a reason why there's a lot of responsibility to be fair and impartial that goes with such a job.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

His detractors who have made that happen will snatch this up with gusto, and mix it into their message.
    I agree they will try but would qualify the statement it that "only if they do so skillfully". I think that his detractors may be pissing off some of their own "I love to be an American, the red, whit and blue..."[song] audiance.