User Tag List

View Poll Results: Nobel Peace prize is it more "politically expedient" to accept?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

17 37.78%
  • undecided

9 20.00%
First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Clearly, Obama is nothing like Hitler or Stalin, but I think an argument can be made regarding the relative worthlessness of the award vis-a-vis the lack of credentials many of the nominees/winners have had throughout its history.
    No, I agree. Not only re: the bizarre Nobel appointment that is Barack Obama, but also that the award can clearly be a political trophy, rather than a meritorious nod.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I disagree, Nevernude. I think future generations will actually lay partial blame on Borlaug for increasing the earth's population to an unsustainable level and thereby decreasing the quality of life for everyone.

That is incredibly farfetched. From 1950 to 2000, the Earth's population increased dramatically while the number of people living in absolute poverty fell dramatically. The "Population Explosion" mindset has been disproved as myth.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    When he tries to exterminate an entire race of people for having different ethnic qualities, or slaughters tens of millions of Americans for having alternative political viewpoints, sure -- we can talk.
    Why would that happen, it already has been done, and proved to be a fruitless effort. I'm not talking about genocide, I'm talking about totalitarianism!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTP

No, I agree. Not only re: the bizarre Nobel appointment that is Barack Obama, but also that the award can clearly be a political trophy, rather than a meritorious nod.
    I see the implications as being different, but what is the difference between "political trophy" and "meritorious nod" besides when the former is given to politicians?

That is incredibly farfetched. From 1950 to 2000, the Earth's population increased dramatically while the number of people living in absolute poverty fell dramatically. The "Population Explosion" mindset has been disproved as myth.
    I don't know if those studies' findings apply to future generations that may have billions more people to consider. Maybe they do, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Why would that happen, it already has been done, and proved to be a fruitless effort. I'm not talking about genocide, I'm talking about totalitarianism!
    I'm pretty sure when people think "Hitler", they really are often thinking "genocide", as there are other leaders to choose totalitarian reference from.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Kangol View Post
    I see the implications as being different, but what is the difference between "political trophy" and "meritorious nod" besides when the former is given to politicians?
    That's the point. One is given on the basis of achievement. The other for power of social connection.

Err.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What would be farfetched, is using that example to think we could keep this up forever.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Err.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.
    Totalitarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...
    In a comment about the similarity of religion to totalitarianism Christopher Hitchens has said "the urge to ban and censor books, silence dissenters, condemn outsiders, invade the private sphere, and invoke an exclusive salvation is the very essence of the totalitarian".
    ... I guess American spy satellites, the FCC, Google Earth, and the Obama Administration Campaign were all coincidences?

I could be wrong though, right?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I'm familiar with what Totalitarianism constitues.

Your use of the term within the present context of American politics makes it clear you aren't.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I'm familiar with what Totalitarianism constitues.

Your use of the term within the present context of American politics makes it clear you aren't.
    That's your argument?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

That's your argument?
    No. That's my conclusion.

I've offered multiple arguments that have stumped you. Most notable is your spurious Obama-Hitler-Stalin link, which you quickly conceded.

As I said before - it's clear you're debating points you don't know very much about.