User Tag List

View Poll Results: Nobel Peace prize is it more "politically expedient" to accept?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 42.22%
  • No

17 37.78%
  • undecided

9 20.00%
First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Can you say foreshadow?

Do Americans truly believe that the worst could never happen to them?... Sorry, I'm just curious!
    There are plenty of doom soothsayers in the US right now, on both sides, if you don't know.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Can you say foreshadow?

Do Americans truly believe that the worst could never happen to them?... Sorry, I'm just curious!
    Are you honestly trying to draw a parallel between Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Barack Obama on the basis of Nobel prize nomination?

Sounds as arbitrary as developing a link between, say . . . Elie Wiesel, the 14th Dalai Lama and Al Gore.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Are you honestly trying to draw a parallel between Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Barack Obama on the basis of Nobel prize nomination?
    Honestly, no I wasn't trying, I was doing... Why not?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Honestly, no... But why not?
    Well, because you are comparing 3 profoundly different personalities with profoundly different administrative motivations.

As I said, it's as arbitrary as randomly selecting 3 laureates and threading some personally observed common theme as evidence of inborn similarity.

It's just silly.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Well, because you are comparing 3 profoundly different personalities with profoundly different administrative motivations.

As I said, it's as arbitrary as randomly selecting 3 laureates and threading some personally observed common theme as evidence of inborn similarity.
    Ok,... I'll let it go! But when Obama sends out 40,000 more troops to seize nuclear arms from Iran, we can continue our discussion further!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Sounds as arbitrary as developing a link between, say . . . Elie Wiesel, the 14th Dalai Lama and Al Gore.

Al Gore wasn't that great a nominee, either. This award has little value. They do get it right from time to time, though. Last month, Norman Borlaug passed away, and he won the NPP in 1970. He saved more lives than any person in human history.

Norman Borlaug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Al Gore wasn't that great a nominee, either. This award has little value. They do get it right from time to time, though. Last month, Norman Borlaug passed away, and he won the NPP in 1970. He saved more lives than any person in human history.

Agreed -- unless you're against genetic crossbreeding.

Still, a far better choice than either Al Gore or Barack Obama -- or Elie Wiesel, if I'm honest.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Ok,... I'll let it go! But when Obama sends out 40,000 more troops to seize nuclear arms from Iran, we can continue our discussion further!
    When he tries to exterminate an entire race of people for having different ethnic qualities, or slaughters tens of millions of Americans for having alternative political viewpoints, sure -- we can talk.

MBTI
    ESFJ

When he tries to exterminate an entire race of people for having different ethnic qualities, or slaughters tens of millions of Americans for having alternative political viewpoints, sure -- we can talk.

Clearly, Obama is nothing like Hitler or Stalin, but I think an argument can be made regarding the relative worthlessness of the award vis-a-vis the lack of credentials many of the nominees/winners have had throughout its history.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post

I disagree, Nevernude. I think future generations will actually lay partial blame on Borlaug for increasing the earth's population to an unsustainable level and thereby decreasing the quality of life for everyone.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”