User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay. So what? This doesn't really effect my life or anyone's life. He got some award... kay.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I think the best part of it is just telling people. And hearing them not believe you. And knowing that they won't believe you until they see it on the news. That's gold!
    No kidding....it took me a few minutes to believe it after first reading it on yahoo news. Who the hell is on that Nobel prize committee, anyway?

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Seems like people keep rewarding him for doing nothing...
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Seems like people keep rewarding him for doing nothing...
    Yes, you are correct. In fact, they decided to give it to him after just TWO WEEKS in office.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

This is so ridiculous. Period.

What is the justification? On what grounds? They've just made a laughing stock out of the whole institution.

You've got winners like:

Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Mother Theresa
    Yassir Arafat and Yitzhak Rabin
    Henry Kissinger
    Jimmy Carter
    Nelson Mandela
    IPCC and UN

And then you have freaking Barack Obama??? What the hell did this guy do???

Okay, okay I get it already - everyone's so glad that GWB is out of office, but can we get over the hysteria already? Bloody hell.

The fact is: There is something else behind that.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Yassir Arafat and Yitzhak Rabin
    Technically, Shimon Peres was in on that, too. But I thank you for at least mentioning Rabin. People too frequently cite Arafat like he was the sole recipient.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

The fact of the matter is: Until about 3 years ago, the US was the superpower of the world - and the only one. Now it is weaker than hell.

So what do you do? You support the only man who MAY be able to keep the balance of power (sort of) and prevent a political vacuum from occurring that really no nation-state has the power or desire or possibility to fill.

Essentially, this prize is European in nature. This was a way of Europe to say it supports the new leader - also in the hope that it changes something, but it really won't, so it's a waste of time anyway. But hell it's worth a shot, right?

Probably this is the only preemptive peace prize - meaning the only one given BEFORE the peace came about - as a kind of a catalyst rather than a reaction to an improved situation.

In that way, it's rather fascinating...but it certainly says something about our world right now.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

The fact of the matter is: Until about 3 years ago, the US was the superpower of the world - and the only one. Now it is weaker than hell.

So what do you do? You support the only man who MAY be able to keep the balance of power (sort of) and prevent a political vacuum from occurring that really no nation-state has the power or desire or possibility to fill.

Essentially, this prize is European in nature. This was a way of Europe to say it supports the new leader - also in the hope that it changes something, but it really won't, so it's a waste of time anyway. But hell it's worth a shot, right?

Probably this is the only preemptive peace prize - meaning the only one given BEFORE the peace came about - as a kind of a catalyst rather than a reaction to an improved situation.

In that way, it's rather fascinating...but it certainly says something about our world right now.
    I love it when you talk .

MBTI
    INTJ

I think it would be funny if six months from now Obama uses the Peace Prize to bang on a nuclear launch button against Iran.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I really have to disagree. First of all, I believe the USA's power as been over-estimated, and I don't agree with the only superpower theory. If that was ever true, it was during the last years of the USSR and a few years after it's collapse. I like to point out that the USA's relative power has in most ways declined continually since the 1950s, and that acceleration as of the later 90s.

Secondly, there is nothing the political arena hates more than unipolarity. Anything is preferable to that. If it really were true that the USA was the only super power, you could bet that Europe would be trying to destroy that, not maintain it. Europe wanted us to have power through the cold war because the USSR had power. Even in that time, as far back as the 60s, western Europeans, mainly France and Germans, were already making plans for greater European independence, they were just waiting for the right time. I like to say that in 1991, when the Soviet Union collapsed, Europe was liberated from two nations. Anyhow, the point is, there's not such thing as balance of power with one super power. Balance requires at least two. If the goal is to maintain it, then everyone will be working against the USA's power, or for someone else's.

Lastly, there is never a situation when no one wants to be a super power! Like I said, people only want one super power to fight off another. In a power vacuum, the most frightened nations are the ones that have no chance of becoming a new power themselves, and have good reason to believe that a nation they fear will become. But there will always be substantial nations waiting in line, hoping for a vacuum, so they can be the next ones.

EDIT: God, I'm derailing my own thread.
    Go to sleep, iguana.