User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 128

  1. #111
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Right: these are all prominent members of state offering diplomatic nods. There's nothing particularly meaningful in their tailored press releases.

    Look at the common citizen for a better read.

    It's dismissive to gloss over the opinion of the opposition. American conservatives aren't alone in their dismay.
    I think it's a clear net-plus for Obama on the world stage. Whether it's anything particularly significant or not - it's not anything major.

  2. #112
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I disagree with this. He said he'd fix it, so it's expected he'd fix it. Though I would hate congress too if I were a president, because all they do is impede everything, but that's what it's there for.
    Actually, no, congress's job is not to impede everything. In fact, it's job is to pass laws. It has the most pro-active job in our government. They should be doing things. However, the Republicans are irrationally obsinate, and none of the Democrats seem to have figured out their stragetic situation yet.

    Obama said he planned to fix things, as any president would. He's falling short of is promise because of things beyond his control. Mainly morons in congress. Don't you hate it when you make an honest, well intentioned promise and morons keep you from fulfilling it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Sure, it's a tough gig.

    I don't have any pity for him. It's the nature of the beast.
    It's tougher than usual this time. On top of that, supposing his motives are sincere, imagine how bitter failure must seem.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #113
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Precisely.

    And most of the analysis I've read has regarded the award as a premature political move. And no, not just fox news.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think it's a clear net-plus for Obama on the world stage. Whether it's anything particularly significant or not - it's not anything major.
    I get this feeling that Obama will be like Gorbachev or Trudeau, in that he will forever be more liked by the global stage than the country he led.

    It's true that both Republicans and Democrats in the US are upset with this prize. It's also true that people outside of the USA are on average considerably more supportive of this decision than American. This shouldn't be a surprise though, because Obama is more popular in plenty of countries than he is in the USA. Unfortunately for Obama, none of those people comprise a voting base.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #114
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's true that both Republicans and Democrats in the US are upset with this prize.
    Well, technically, yes. But it's 90% coming from the political Right.

  5. #115
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think it's a clear net-plus for Obama on the world stage.
    You don't see how this could backfire and hurt Obama?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  6. #116
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You don't see how this could backfire and hurt Obama?
    My thoughts are that if the USA becomes ruled by a political ideology which is that opposed to whatever the rest of the world supports, then the USA is doomed and all bets are off anyhow.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #117
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You don't see how this could backfire and hurt Obama?
    I think he'll go to Oslo in December, get some positive PR in the world media, and from there, the story will die down.

  8. #118
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well, technically, yes. But it's 90% coming from the political Right.
    Disagree. It's easier to go partisan than talk about what actually happened, isn't it?

  9. #119
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Disagree. It's easier to go partisan than talk about what actually happened, isn't it?
    If not 90%, then how much? If you had to guess.

    These kinds of things often largely break down along ideological lines.

  10. #120
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    My thoughts are that if the USA becomes ruled by a political ideology which is that opposed to whatever the rest of the world supports, then the USA is doomed and all bets are off anyhow.
    Huh? I have no idea what you're talking about.

    I think this raises the expectations placed on Obama, while limiting his options.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Nobel Peace Prize for Malala
    By Bilateral Entry in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM
  2. Obama and the Nobel Peace Prize
    By Ethereal in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 12:49 AM
  3. Was it politically expedient for Obama to accept the Nobel Peace Prize
    By Vizconde in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
  4. Nobel Peace Prize: A world sigh of relief?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
  5. Obama Wins.
    By Eldanen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 307
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 05:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO