User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Awesome business idea? Messed up? Both?

What do you all think of this? Some dude in the UK has started an internet-based business whereby members of the public watch CCTV footage taken from (already installed) public cameras and try to catch criminals. 'Watchers'/players are rewarded with cash if they successfully ID a crime. Dude is charging businesses/entities fees to have their camera feeds made available to the internet.

I think I'm so damned impressed with the idea in a business sense I'm not really thinking about any possible privacy issues. What do you think? Human rights groups are protesting, some are saying it encourages snooping on one's neighbours etc.

Keep in mind that a)these cameras are already set-up, and not by this dude who's started the business and b)the physical locations of the cameras will not be revealed to those watching footage online.

Link to story: Internet game that awards points for people spotting crimes on CCTV cameras is branded 'snoopers paradise' | Mail Online
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ I think it's a neat idea too The camera's are there to do that very purpose.. but even working as a security guy in a camera room before, it's impossible to always watch everything.. I'm sure plenty slipped by me because I have two eyes and 30 TV screens.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTj

They will have a lot of competition. A stand alone recording video camera could be manufactured for less than $10 these days. They can be made smaller than the smallest cell phone and be totally concealable and expendable.

MBTI
    NICE

The problem is that many CCTV cameras are old, resolution is poor, often in monochrome and/or blurred. Getting a successful prosecution solely from CCTC is, quite rightly, difficult.

The second point. Many of the culprits often wear garb that conceals their faces, making ID difficult.

The characters that make no attempt to "hide" their faces from CCTV (sometimes these people are referred to by the slang term "idiot") are usually picked up by the plod fairly pronto. Often their brains are affected by booze or drugs.

The new sport for bored housewifes and Daily Mail readers...

Spot the junkie.

Welcome to the payrole you sad bastards.

MBTI
    ENTP

east germany tried something similar. didnt work out too well

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

cctv is bullshit...

What about IP camera networks?

MBTI
    SEXY

Totally up for it. A couple of weeks ago I was witness to a fight (or more of a physical abuse of one guy) down town. Later I heard police was looking for witnesses, so I dropped in to make a statement. Apparently one of the guys ended up in hospital with severe brain-damage (he'll probably be okay). Anyway, the police was looking for witnesses to gather evidence, but luckily they also had everything on camera. The suspect was already identified and would soon be arrested thanks to the power of strategically placed CCTV cameras.

When giving my statement to the police I found it remarkable to notice that I remembered some details perfectly but that other, even rather big things, were just completely blank, or had changed, in my mind.

And as for the privacy issue. When the cameras are placed in a public place, there is no real intrusion of your privacy. After all, what's the difference in being watched by other people or by cameras apart from the fact that cameras register things objectively.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Apparently one of the guys ended up in hospital with severe brain-damage (he'll probably be okay). Anyway...
    You're not a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan by any chance?

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    You're not a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan by any chance?
    Educate me!