123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Default David Letterman Scandal

I haven't watched much TV over the past two days, so I have only seen the stories on the 'net about this scandal: David Letterman and His Amazing 'Little Story' - Yahoo! TV Blog I find this whole situation to be surreal, which is why I chose to link that particular news story. What are your thoughts?
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

I'm devastated. I'm an aspiring comedy writer, and Letterman is my primary role model. I've been a fan of his show since very near the beginning, and I've always appreciated his opinions and interviews on serious issues as well as his comedy. It's never a good idea to confuse a celebrity's personal life with their work or to allow one to color your opinion of the other. But with him, I just can't help it. It's saddening.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's never a good idea to confuse a celebrity's personal life with their work or to allow one to color your opinion of the other.
    I have to agree with you there. It's a weird situation because normally in a regular job position this would be handled as discretely as possible between the employee (Letterman) and the employer (CBS). But when it comes to celebrities or public figures, everything comes out eventually. I guess we're way past an age where the most honorable thing to do, once someone is in that sort of situation anyway, is to remain silent about the matter. The thing here is, either we will learn specifics about whom Letterman had relations with, or we won't. If we do, then those women will be dragged through the public arena (I'm not saying they're innocent, just that no one deserves that). If we do not learn specifics, then that calls into question all who work at the show which degrades everyone. That creates a really unfortunately catch-22 situation...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Uh? Why is that scandalous/degrading? Is he married?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Uh? Why is that scandalous/degrading? Is he married?
    Socially, it is scandalous in American culture to have affairs while you are still married, and Letterman is married. (Although, he is recently married and I have not hear the timeline exactly so I want to remain open until I find that out.)

Legally, a boss having relations with a subordinate can cause all kinds of problems for an employer. Was it consensual, or was the boss using his/her power to coerce the subordinate into having relations?

Additionally, it sounds like he was having relations with several women, and we don't know if there were several women he was involved with at the same time, which would only add to the scandalous nature.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yeah it's the employee thing that is kinda weird. And it's not just "employee" it's "employees." I really don't care either way but it's a little ucky. It would really suck to work there as a woman. Everyone would wonder how many women are there because of the casting couch.

The piece of garbage was the guy trying to extort 2 million dollars from Letterman.
    Shockingly enough, was who the extortionist was.
    A TV producer. He was arrested.

Who gives a shit who Dave had sex with?
    Extortion is a crime.
    Having sex with employees is not.

Robert J. Halderman, "48 Hours" Producer, Wanted $2 Million Not to Disclose David Letterman's Affairs with Employees

Robert J. Halderman Arrested for David Letterman Affairs Extortion - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

He only recently got married, and I think the affairs go back to the 80's. It's not like Dave pretended to be a pillar of morality either like say Elliott Spitzer. I kind of think the scandal is a non-scandal, and that's why Dave would rather just tell everyone instead of being blackmailed. The real scandal is that someone tried to blackmail him rather than what he did.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Affairs will become normalized in short order. Letterman is just slightly ahead of the degratory curb.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Yea, I'm already desensitized to such transgressions. Scandal to me is like... killing and raping somebody and THEN eating them. Now that is a scandal. Anything else is just more of the usual.