User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

You could start with gaining a simple understanding of quotes you use in your own signature. That, perhaps, may be too much to ask for. I am certain, however, that this is not a problem that extends to everyone associated with your type.

On topic: here is an editorial by a person who expresses loyalty to Polanski because of personal ties and says clearly that there is no justification for the crime committed. He does raise some good points about the delay in justice, even from a jaundiced viewpoint. Personally, I don't care how old he is. Crime should be punished. I'm just curious about the delay and the spike in interest now in his arrest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/op...rris.html?_r=1
    Excerpt from the editorial:

I have worked several times with Mr. Polanski in Switzerland, where he owns a house in Gstaad. He travels back and forth from France a dozen times a year. If Mr. Polanski is such a physical danger and moral affront to civilized society that he must be locked up, even at the age of 76, why was he not picked up earlier, when he was 66, or 56 — or even 46? It would not have been hard to grab him at his home: his name is on the doorbell.

To answer this question the Los Angeles County district attorney, Stephen L. Cooley, has issued a “timeline” purporting to show the numerous efforts made by his office to have Mr. Polanski arrested. In fact it reveals precisely the opposite: how half-heartedly the case has been pursued since 1978, when Mr. Polanski fled the United States. On only five occasions — right at the outset, when he flew to London; in 1986, when it was rumored he might visit Canada; in 1988, when it was suggested he might be headed to Brazil, or elsewhere in Europe; in 2005, when he went to Thailand; and in 2007, when he visited Israel — do overseas authorities seem to have been contacted by the district attorney with specific information about his presence. This is hardly a red-hot manhunt.

Mr. Cooley’s office maintains that Mr. Polanski’s visit to the Zurich Film Festival over the weekend was different. It offered a unique opportunity to seize him, the office says, because officials knew for the first time precisely where he would be, and when. But Mr. Polanski was always heading off to film festivals and award ceremonies when I worked with him. To take only one example, his appearance at the Turin Film Festival last November had been advertised across the Internet since the February before. In other words, the district attorney had nine months’ notice of where he would be and when.

So it seems fair to deduce that the capture of Mr. Polanski — who has never been accused of similar offenses before 1977 or since — was an understandably low priority for the California criminal justice system, a system so short of money, that a court ordered it to release 40,000 convicts early because of prison overcrowding.

I suspect that this peculiar standoff — of sporadic, bureaucratic twitchings to remind the world that Mr. Polanski was still a fugitive, but no serious attempts at arrest — would have continued had it not been for Marina Zenovich’s 2008 documentary, “Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    You could start with gaining a simple understanding of quotes you use in your own signature. That, perhaps, may be too much to ask for. I am certain, however, that this is not a problem that extends to everyone associated with your type.
    Ooooh, what a classic typology rift we have.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No, it's not. What is the purpose of the justice system? To cater to the wishes of sympathetic victims?

You can't be serious.
    American justice system has brought a lot of injustice to its people.
    A bad record altogether, not only as regards the Civil rights.
    Oklahoma, Texas, Missisippi, Georgia, Louisiana.
    Corruption of the judges, and within the police. A rotten prison system.
    Sentences carried out that have nothing to do with justice at all.
    And it is not only the South.
    Why you do not follow Jesus? You talk about Him.
    Sympathy and care for the victim is everything.
    Justice without mercy is not justice.
    Read the Bible. Thread in His footsteps.
    Stop crying. You have not been raped.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I dunno, on the one hand, it was pretty dumb that they 'caught' him at his own celebration, that's just rude, and may really cause some nasty unintended reprocussions in the art world to a vast degree, to the point that the prosecution of him may very well cause FAR more damage than to not do so.
    Repercussions like other artists who drug and rape children might get caught and brought back to face the sentence for their acts? I would be so sad for the arts community. Art isn't worth that much to me.

That, and if yeu actually check the records on the case and such, yeu find out lots of neat stuff. I even saw pictures of the girl he made out with - consentually - it wasn't rape other than due to her age. And let's put it this way, SHE LOOKED OLDER THAN ME and I'm 25! I can KINDA see how that could happen >
    "I swear your honor, I thought she was 18" is your excuse? Well wax my ass and use me as a surfboard. It's not like he picked her up at a bar. Her MOTHER drover her to Jack Nicholson's house (friend of the pedo) for some modeling pics. He gave her champagne and Quaaludes, then raped her in the ass and vagina, all while saying NO.

On second thought...you're right..it couldn't have been rape because when a woman says "NO" in that situation, especially at 13, they really mean "Yes" and are giving sexual consent.

I don't know all the exact details of exactly whot happened, just mostly that it was like...
    Thank you Captain Obvious.

There may be other details I'm not aware of that weren't on the news and such though, but I think the whole thing's alot more complex than "ZOMG CHILD RAPE" considering the hints of whot happened back then, and the police photos of the girl in question at the time.
    Do you speak ignorantly about topics you haven't "learned the details about" naturally, or do you have to work hard at it?

Just what *do* they teach people up in Nova Scotia, anyway? Hopefully it's not that 13 year olds can give sexual consent to a man over 3 times her age after being drugged. If so, send your little sister to visit him while he's in the states....

Mods: I am sorry about this, but the moral equivocation surrounding the rape of a 13 year old just chaps my ass to no end (I am trying to be nice here). There is little in this world that shocks or surprises me. That "oh it wasn't such a big deal because she forgave him" and "well, he was free to go and the judge changed his mind", I have learned, are two of those things.

Thus, please feel free to delete this post and/or warn me as appropriate. If it means a ban, too, well, I'll accept that punishment, though I like this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I dunno, on the one hand, it was pretty dumb that they 'caught' him at his own celebration, that's just rude, and may really cause some nasty unintended reprocussions in the art world to a vast degree, to the point that the prosecution of him may very well cause FAR more damage than to not do so.
    Rude? Sorry to inconvenience the rapist. And unintended repercussions in the art world? Um...WHO CARES? I couldn't give a rat's ass what a bunch of actors and painters think about the merits of the case when they value saving face for Polanski above justice for a 13 year old girl who was drugged and raped.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Rude? Sorry to inconvenience the rapist. And unintended repercussions in the art world? Um...WHO CARES? I couldn't give a rat's ass what a bunch of actors and painters think about the merits of the case when they value saving face for Polanski above justice for a 13 year old girl who was drugged and raped.
    I'd have to blow my brains out and bathe the remnants in high powered radiation in order to understand not how some people think the way they do.

MBTI
    enfp

Who planned his celebration?

Didn't they think about whether it was okay to hold it in a country that has an extradition treaty with the USA?

Obviously, the guy can't afford proper help. Or he trusts dumb people.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    American justice system has brought a lot of injustice to its people.
    A bad record altogether, not only as regards the Civil rights.
    Oklahoma, Texas, Missisippi, Georgia, Louisiana.
    Corruption of the judges, and within the police. A rotten prison system.
    Sentences carried out that have nothing to do with justice at all.
    And it is not only the South.
    Why you do not follow Jesus? You talk about Him.
    Sympathy and care for the victim is everything.
    Justice without mercy is not justice.
    Read the Bible. Thread in His footsteps.
    Stop crying. You have not been raped.

What in God's holy name are you blathering about?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

What in God's holy name are you blathering about?
    lmao.

MBTI
    NICE

There's an old joke - What goes into 13 twice?

Seven and a half.