User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Judges can reject plea agreements. Here is an example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/01/us...Smtro+3hdkJ5tw
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Boo hoo. Lock him up. I'd like to see if any of these people would want to let bygones be bygones just because it happened a long time ago if it was their daughter.

Those assholes give the child rapist a standing ovation at the Oscars to make a point about his "unfair" treatment, yet they also made a point to remain seated when Elia Kazan got his lifetime achievement award. Screw 'em.
    Couldn't agree more.

I haven't heard any worthwhile opposition to his arrest. Mostly just selfish, short-sighted loyalty. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Meanwhile, Zurich Film Festival jury president Debra Winger on Monday demanded the release of Polanski from jail in Switzerland.

France's foreign minister Bernard Kouchner said that he had written to Clinton calling for Polanski's release.

France's culture minister Frederic Mitterrand also criticized the U.S. "Seeing him alone, imprisoned while he was heading to an event that was due to offer him praise and recognition is awful," he said. "He was trapped. In the same way that there is a generous America that we like, there is also a scary America, and that has just shown its face."

In Germany, there was also support for the director. The Berlin Film Festival demanded Polanski be freed. "The Berlinale protests the arbitrary treatment of one of the world's most outstanding film directors," the fest said in a statement. "We declare our deep respect for Roman Polanski and we demand his immediate release."

The German Film Academy also condemned Polanski's detention. Academy presidents Senta Berger and Guenter Rohrbach said in a joint statement: "The German Film Academy finds it revolting that Roman Polanski has been arrested for an act committed more than 30 years ago."
    This is exactly what I'm talking about when I refer to self-righteous loyalty. I mean, who gives a shit about these people? Why is their input relevant?

None of their opinions have any bearing on the legality of the issue. It's as arbitrary as you or me weighing in and receiving visibility for our stance.

It's amazing that their remarks are print-worthy.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    None the less, would it really matter to any of us if they twisted the law every once in a while and said, "Oh hell, lets try him again to see if we can get a guilty!"
    Yeah, it would fucking matter.

What's wrong with you?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yeah, it would fucking matter.

What's wrong with you?
    I agree. That's basically allowing the judiciary branch to change laws and circumstances at will.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah, see, even the kid from 4chan thinks its a bad idea.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah, see, even the kid from 4chan thinks its a bad idea.
    LOL, I actually don't read 4chan, I just find it fun to learn about all the internet memes that are out there, just for the record.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    I think you have to be actually held in trial before the second can be called double jeopardy.
    You have to be acquitted for double-jeopardy to attach. Even then, there are times where there may be different crimes for the same offense. For example, someone plans to kidnap, rape and kill another. There may be multiple crimes (kidnap, first degree murder, rape/sexual assault). That person could be found guilty or acquitted of one, two or all three.

It's unusual, though not unheard of, for prosecutors to think they've got a solid kidnap case and drop the rest. If acquitted on kidnap, the prosecutor could file murder charges. Unusual, because the prosecution usually goes for their strongest case against the perpetrator. If they couldn't get a conviction for kidnap (in this example, their strongest), why would they waste the time to refile for murder? So, in this case, the more likely approach would be to charge for all three, hoping for a conviction on all three.

None the less, would it really matter to any of us if they twisted the law every once in a while and said, "Oh hell, lets try him again to see if we can get a guilty!"
    Are you serious? That's how innocent people get put in jail for purely political reasons. That how a county prosecutor finally got a conviction after three previous grand juries refused to indict a man on self-defense charges, based on evidence and recommendation by the investigating agency. However, the prosecutor was getting political heat by the victim's family, and was seeking reelection within the next year or two.

Hello? Our system against double jeopardy was put there for a reason. Sure, some guilty may go free, but IMO that's preferable to the innocent going to prison.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I really hate the argument that "but it was a long time ago..." means you don't have to pay your debts for anything.

A friend once owed me 20 bucks and tried to use that argument out of it. "But come on man, I mean I haven't bothered to pay you for three years, so...I shouldn't have to at all, right?"

Fail!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I really hate the argument that "but it was a long time ago..." means you don't have to pay your debts for anything.

A friend once owed me 20 bucks and tried to use that argument out of it. "But come on man, I mean I haven't bothered to pay you for three years, so...I shouldn't have to at all, right?"

Fail!
    Shit, if I was you, not only would I take that $20, I'd charge interest.

But I think they should Polanski go because I like his movies and don't particularly care about some kid's torn asshole from 3 decades ago.

I'm open minded like that, you see.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Shit, if I was you, not only would I take that $20, I'd charge interest.

But I think they should Polanski go because I like his movies and don't particularly care about some kid's torn asshole from 3 decades ago.

I'm open minded like that, you see.
    R. KELLY IS INNOCENT

SO IS MJ

(He made Thriller!)

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    You have to be acquitted for double-jeopardy to attach. Even then, there are times where there may be different crimes for the same offense. For example, someone plans to kidnap, rape and kill another. There may be multiple crimes (kidnap, first degree murder, rape/sexual assault). That person could be found guilty or acquitted of one, two or all three.
    It's also not double jeopardy if you're wrongly convicted of killing someone who is actually still alive, serve time for it and then you actually do kill him later. You're going straight back to prison. (Thanks for nothing, Ashley Judd and Billy Bob Thornton.)
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?