User Tag List

First 18262728

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'm absolutely disgusted with Switzerland right now. In September 2009, Kate Harding, blogger of the Shapely Prose page, wrote this opinion piece on Broadsheet, regarding Polanski's arrest: here. I'm surprised how many Hollywood media figures have come forward to defend Polanski. ...Well, I should say, I'm not surprised by Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese and David Lynch. But I am surprised by Pedro Almodovar, Michael Mann, Wong Kar-Wai and Wim Wenders. I really thought they had better character. And now I hear that Janeane Garofalo's signing Woody Allen's petition - Garofalo, one of Hollywood's sharpest feminist voices? I'm deeply dismayed by this.
    I wasn't born of a whistle or milked from a thistle at twilight.
    No, I was all horns and thorns, sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
    -Joanna Newsom

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    When your daughter is raped, the father (= you) decides what is what?
    What the daughter says does not matter in the least, huh?
    Chauvinism. Combined with hypocrisy.

When the daughter says bygones is bygones it is bygones in my record.
    It was she who was raped. Not you.

Show respect to the victim.
    I think you misinterpret me. I merely suggested that if Polanski's defenders had a daughter who suffered the same fate, they would not be so quick to defend the person who had impacted their family. It's much easier to make excuses for the perpetrator of an abstract crime. There's nothing resembling chauvinism here, and I can't even fathom how hypocrisy figures into this.

To your second point, the victim is not the complainant. The People of the State of California are. The victim does not get to decide that bygones are bygones, especially a victim of minor age. As I took great pains to explain in a previous post, the reasons should be quite plain. Allowing the victim to decide whether to prosecute violent crime is very dangerous, not least of all to the victim himself.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
    I'm absolutely disgusted with Switzerland right now. In September 2009, Kate Harding, blogger of the Shapely Prose page, wrote this opinion piece on Broadsheet, regarding Polanski's arrest: here. I'm surprised how many Hollywood media figures have come forward to defend Polanski. ...Well, I should say, I'm not surprised by Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese and David Lynch. But I am surprised by Pedro Almodovar, Michael Mann, Wong Kar-Wai and Wim Wenders. I really thought they had better character. And now I hear that Janeane Garofalo's signing Woody Allen's petition - Garofalo, one of Hollywood's sharpest feminist voices? I'm deeply dismayed by this.
    I was out in the porch. I heard neighbours talking.
    It sounded Hungarian. I knew better.
    Distinction is based on facts.

A feel of things has a place. It is not everything.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think you misinterpret me. I merely suggested that if Polanski's defenders had a daughter who suffered the same fate, they would not be so quick to defend the person who had impacted their family. It's much easier to make excuses for the perpetrator of an abstract crime. There's nothing resembling chauvinism here, and I can't even fathom how hypocrisy figures into this.

To your second point, the victim is not the complainant. The People of the State of California are. The victim does not get to decide that bygones are bygones, especially a victim of minor age. As I took great pains to explain in a previous post, the reasons should be quite plain. Allowing the victim to decide whether to prosecute violent crime is very dangerous, not least of all to the victim himself.
    Allowing the victim to decide whether to prosecute violent crime is dangerous in a new case.
    Distinction 1: This is an old case.
    D.2: No harm can come to the victim.
    D.3: She is not a minor.
    D.4: The complainant does not live in Switzerland.

Emotion does not oppose to reason. It complements it.

MBTI
    IsTP

At they very least we can take comfort in the fact that nobody will look at him the same way. He can't die with dignity now, people can choose to believe or ignore the story, at any rate Roman Polanski won't be remember as the director who did 'The Pianist' but rather the director who drugged and raped a little girl.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    When your daughter is raped, the father (= you) decides what is what?
    What the daughter says does not matter in the least, huh?
    Chauvinism. Combined with hypocrisy.

When the daughter says bygones is bygones it is bygones in my record.
    It was she who was raped. Not you.

Show respect to the victim.
    This isn't about the victim. This about wealth and fame allowing someone to thumb their nose at the law. Maybe Europeans and Australians don't have a problem with this, but in the US, we don't like it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This isn't about the victim. This about wealth and fame allowing someone to thumb their nose at the law. Maybe Europeans and Australians don't have a problem with this, but in the US, we don't like it.
    Every maldemeanour is about the victim.
    A stand for law and order is a vote for the privilege of the rich.
    You can have a cake. Or you can eat it.
    Do not attempt to do both. It ends up in a folly.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

No one should be allowed to escape the judgment for their crimes. and this includes Polanski.

nuff said.
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.