User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    And exactly what is the public interest in Polanski's prosecution? Because it certainly is not for the benefit of Ms Geimer, who long ago stopped being a victim.
    No, it's not for her.

But the public interest in the matter lies in the upholding of the law that says that men should not rape women, especially not 13-year-olds. It may seem in this particular case like an empty gesture, but absent some compelling reason... some reason that has traction in a court of law... no exception will be made for Mr. Polanski. Incidentally, it's not his prosecution that is at issue; he had already been found guilty in court. The question left unaddressed by his having fled was that of his sentencing.

I am not normally a great advocate of law for law's sake. I find law as a discipline to be arbitrary and capricious, and depending much more on the cleverness of lawyers than the interests of justice. However, this particular law... the one that says that women should not be raped... is one that I can get behind.

I have a teenage daughter and a four-year-old who have never been raped, and God willing never will be, even by so distinguished a personage as Mr. Polanski. His fulfillment of a criminal sentence is in their interest.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    But the public interest in the matter lies in the upholding of the law
    Yes, and it is even more than the law. It is part of a political, social and religious movement that started with the abolition of institutional slavery for the first time in history by the House of Commons in 1833.

And it was followed by the emancipation if women for the first time in history in Australia and New Zealand at the very beginning of the 20th Century.

And this was followed by the prosecution in our Criminal Courts of child sexual abuse at the end of the 20th Century for the first time in history.

These are all milestones in the history of liberal democracy.

Liberal democracy notes that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. And so liberal democracy is devoted to the limitation of power.

And liberal democracies have been successful in limiting power over slaves, women and children.

So Mr Polanski is not just facing the Criminal Court, he is also at the bar of liberal democracy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    After 30 years the Media Circus has rolled into town and Ms Geimer has been given the role of leading lady, whether she likes it or not.

And exactly what is the public interest in Polanski's prosecution? Because it certainly is not for the benefit of Ms Geimer, who long ago stopped being a victim.

But the boys haven't quite finished with her yet. They need her to be the victim, just one more time. For the cameras.

As for Polanski, he's just a bone for the dog.
    Quite right. A morality boost .. in Massachusetts they had one when they started to burn the witches. The priests devour their victims. Did Jesus tell them to hate ms Geimer?

I have never really understood the priesthood. I have not known many of the breed. Hypocrisy is a strange profession.

The prices for cigarettes and wine skyrocket. What is wrong with these priests? They say there are good drugs and bad drugs. What do they know? They are not doctors.
    Jesus turned water into wine.
    The good Lord did not say a thing about cigarettes. He said a couple things about the priests, though.
    Now the priests are morally indignated. They lecture in the Parliament. Why do they hate the homeless? Did Jesus tell them to hate the homeless? The homeless deserve their wine and fags.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Quite right. A morality boost .. in Massachusetts they had one when they started to burn the witches. The priests devour their victims. Did Jesus tell them to hate ms Geimer?
    Can the hyperbole. If you can't see the difference between raping children and being accused of being a witch in the 17th century, there is something seriously wrong with your brain.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Can the hyperbole. If you can't see the difference between raping children and being accused of being a witch in the 17th century, there is something seriously wrong with your brain.
    Child rape today is viewed in the same light as witchcraft was viewed in the 17th century.

I wouldn't be surprised if three hundred years from now child rapists are considered harmless eccentrics, kind of like what people currently think of Wiccans.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Child rape today is viewed in the same light as witchcraft was viewed in the 17th century.

I wouldn't be surprised if three hundred years from now child rapists are considered harmless eccentrics, kind of like what people currently think of Wiccans.
    Child sexual abuse is the moral issue of our day.

We are defined morally by which side of the issue we fall.

And for those who do not know history, it is as if they were born yesterday.

So if you wish to start to learn the history of child abuse, just click on -

Contents - FOUNDATIONS OF PSYCHOHISTORY

Fortunately liberal democracy has set its face against slavery, the inferior position of women and child abuse.

We shall overcome someday.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is not what I said. Please read your statement.

I said there is a common bond, a unifying factor.
    I never said the unifying factor is about the crime.
    Had I said that, I would have admitted the witches were criminals.

The unifying factor, the common bond, is not about the crime.
    Why do you think moral indignation should be concerned about the crime committed?
    It is not concerned about the crime at all.
    Moral indignation is even less concerned about the victim.

Read the Sermon of the Mount.
    Moral indignation is not about the victim.
    It is about the ego.
    Pity is about the other.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Child sexual abuse is the moral issue of our day.

We are defined morally by which side of the issue we fall.

And for those who do not know history, it is as if they were born yesterday.

So if you wish to start to learn the history of child abuse, just click on -

Contents - FOUNDATIONS OF PSYCHOHISTORY

Fortunately liberal democracy has set its face against slavery, the inferior position of women and child abuse.

We shall overcome someday.
    Why differentation is so hard?

Quality is not reflected in the quantity. Position is not division.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

There's a minor difference. Witchcraft isn't real. Sexual abuse is.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Are you fucking serious? I really hope you're joking.