User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

This sounds like a horrible idea. Why is Obama trying to mold us after "other countries"?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Umm, because contrary to popular belief there actually ARE things that "other countries" do better than the US?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENFJ

There's a personal finance class at my school and it's a joke.

Most of the classes at my school are a joke. About the only one that isn't is orchestra, and that's not a part of a standard curriculum.

American high schools are just there so you can get into a college. And, to get into a good one, you need to do stuff outside of school, too. Extending the school day will make it more difficult to develop any skills outside of school.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Umm, because contrary to popular belief there actually ARE things that "other countries" do better than the US?
    I would never have known. Thanks for enlightening me.

DisneyGeek made a going point, second post in. Is extending school hours really going to be productive? Why is this the approach we're deciding on for a revival of education? Because "other countries" do it? Kids and young adults are stir-crazy enough as it is. For those that acknowledge the importance of education and wish to pursue it more intently, there is always the option for "after-hours" academics... If education and learning is what you want, there is more at your disposal than you would even have the time to utilize. Why should it be mandatory for all?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

At least he wants to do something to improve education instead of just sleeping through the problems and having wet dreams about the invisible hand.

But hey I'm sure doing nothing is the answer, just like far righters think is always the answer for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I would never have known. Thanks for enlightening me.
    I don't understand how you could ask such a question, then.

"Why is he trying to mold us after other countries?" implies that you don't see any reason for the US to ever model any of its policies after those of other countries. I don't see the problem with modeling ourselves after other countries when it comes to areas where those countries clearly outperform us.

What exactly makes this such a horrible idea?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Let's look at this. Why is orchestra at my school so successful, when just about every other class isn't?

1) it's an elective, so you can choose to or not to take it

2) it's an elective that requires a lot of hard work, so casual players are driven away, and only those who have a true interest stay

3) there's a huge incentive to do well. The higher orchestras go on trips while the lower ones stay behind. Also, the higher orchestras play more difficult and interesting pieces. The better you play, the more opportunities open up for you.

4) we have a teacher who's an excellent musician in his own right and knows how to keep kids motivated

Is there any way these things could be applied to other classes?

In fact, this model seems to imply looking at another thing schools in other countries do, that we don't very much -- setting kids on educational tracks earlier.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I think the key is having highly skilled and motivated teachers who really know what they're doing and can adapt to different learning styles of individual students.

The only way for that to happen is to pay public school teachers enough to make education a competitive field. Right now we get the bottom of the barrel (with occasional but notable exceptions) because the work:reward ratio is too high for many potentially very talented teachers to bother seeking employment in that field.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I don't understand how you could ask such a question, then.

"Why is he trying to mold us after other countries?" implies that you don't see any reason for the US to ever model any of its policies after those of other countries. I don't see the problem with modeling ourselves after other countries when it comes to areas where those countries clearly outperform us.

What exactly makes this such a horrible idea?
    Because this doesn't even seem like a good idea. Maybe other countries outperform us because they have their priorities straight to begin with. It's not the duration of the school hours, it's the quality of the educational program and the desire to actually learn it. Use our tax dollars towards hiring teachers held to higher standards and on solid curriculum, not keeping bum teachers on the clock for two more hours a day.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Are you familiar with Obama's educational policy positions?

Surely you don't believe extending the school day is the only reform he plans to make.

We all agree that many educational reforms need to happen in order to catch this country up to global standards--that's not the point here, though.

I want to know why extending the school day specifically is a bad idea?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So...you are aware that this isn't specifically Obama's idea? Summer vacation was originally implemented so that children could WORK in the summer on the family farm. Many people have done research on this phenomenon, and there is strong evidence that year round schools provide a more cohesive learning experience with less forgotten over the extended summer break. Not only that, but students get shorter breaks more frequently during the school year which could ease burn-out and boredom with school. There are quite a few year round schools already in existence in this country.