User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 130

  1. #71
    Senior Member millerm277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    978

    Default

    So, I'll chime in on multiple facets of this:

    First - This isn't going to happen. Why? Who's paying for it? Tax increases definitely won't go over too well right now, and quite obviously, more hours = more $$$$.

    Second - We DEFINITELY don't need more time in school. This coming from a current High School senior, as it is right now, I'm literally leaving two hours early each day because I'm out of relevant classes to take. And, because of idiotic arts requirements, I even used to take a solid hour to two hours a day of pointless classes (introduction to theater production, etc). If you think american kids need more instruction in something, um...there's plenty of time in the current day to do it, get rid of some of the fluff crap.

    Third - I would predict that most people would hate this idea, so....which congressmen would really vote for it?
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

  2. #72
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I think the biggest question would be, though, who is going to pay for all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    So, I'll chime in on multiple facets of this:

    First - This isn't going to happen. Why? Who's paying for it? Tax increases definitely won't go over too well right now, and quite obviously, more hours = more $$$$.

    Second - We DEFINITELY don't need more time in school. This coming from a current High School senior, as it is right now, I'm literally leaving two hours early each day because I'm out of relevant classes to take. And, because of idiotic arts requirements, I even used to take a solid hour to two hours a day of pointless classes (introduction to theater production, etc). If you think american kids need more instruction in something, um...there's plenty of time in the current day to do it, get rid of some of the fluff crap.

    Third - I would predict that most people would hate this idea, so....which congressmen would really vote for it?
    One - we can afford it. God knows there are plenty of other bloated areas of the budget *cough*defense*cough*

    Two - congratulations, you lose nothing from this idea! If you've met the requirements, then you get to take that time off from school without any changes, except with blocks of vacation spread out over the year. Even with more school days, you might be able to get started on next-level information. That's pretty useful, right?

    Three - Congressmen will vote for anything if the advertising campaign is effective enough to say it's "for the kids". Besides, this is more a Department of Education and state issue - Congress will have little say in it.

  3. #73
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    One - we can afford it. God knows there are plenty of other bloated areas of the budget *cough*defense*cough*
    It's not a question of if we can afford it. Of course we can afford it. It's more if we are willing.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  4. #74
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It's not a question of if we can afford it. Of course we can afford it. It's more if we are willing.
    Then start working for it. "We" are simply a collection of "I"s, you know.

  5. #75
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ^ It's much more fun to just whine about how these damn libbrulls are ruinin' Amurrrica!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #76
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Be careful, you're sounding a bit xNxJ-chauvinistic there.

    Hard work and creativity are not the sole province of the wealthy
    1.) So were you, in assuming that poor people work harder than the non-poor; there are lazy and hard-working people among both groups.

    2.) Never claimed otherwise, merely that: a.) families with a history of success in school are that way because of values and habits transmitted through familial and community socialization. b.) parents who do not posses such traits tend not to socialize their children to posses said traits, leaving school as the only place in which such traits and values are transmitted to their children. This effect is magnified when one is economically segregated amongst other people who do not posses said traits and values. c.) And finally, there is a strong relationship between success in school and success in the workforce, which makes it logical to assume that the values and habits that lead to success in one area overlap with those which lead to success in other areas.

    ^I'm very confident that this is a much better explanation as to why poor students retain less information over summer vacation than supposing that periodic trips to the French Riviera have a dramatic effect on retention.

  7. #77
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ^ Better idea: Don't assume that being successful means you're automatically a hard worker or that being unsuccessful means you're not.

    Conservatives love to attribute their successes to 100% their own hard work and their failures to totally unavoidable circumstances. (Of course, "unavoidable circumstances" don't work as an excuse for anybody else--just ME! If you're in economic trouble, it's CLEARLY because you're not working hard enough!!!)

    It's awfully convenient how they're always working exactly hard enough and nobody else is, wouldn't you say?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  8. #78
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Better idea: Don't assume that being successful means you're automatically a hard worker or that being unsuccessful means you're not.
    I assume no such thing, and I explicitly said as much within my posts on this thread.

  9. #79
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ^ Sorry that was more generalized criticism/responding to the guy you responded to.

    I didn't clarify; my mistake.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #80
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Then start working for it. "We" are simply a collection of "I"s, you know.
    But I don't support it. They're going to misuse it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. who are these 47%ers that dont want to take responsibility for their own lives?
    By jcloudz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 05:44 PM
  2. So You Want To Be A Typist...
    By Fleeting in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 07:10 AM
  3. 4chan is down so its time to take Swivels down!
    By Zangetshumody in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM
  4. I want to run away!!!
    By miss fortune in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
  5. I wanted to get away
    By colmena in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 04:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO