failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I wouldn't care if summer vacation was eliminated. It was originally implemented because children were needed to help with farm work over the summer. We don't have that issue any more. However, our society has grown around the concept of summer vacations. Simply removing it would have some temporary negative consequences, but we'd get over it.
    Just as our society has grown around using school as 'free' daycare so mothers/fathers could work or do whatever?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    ...impossible unless gigantic air conditioners were installed everywhere. From the end of May to the end of September it's just too warm to expect a good intellectual performance from kids.
    True, it's like that here. No one (especially restless, bored kids) wants to spend 95 degrees F afternoons (35 degrees C) sitting in school.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Just as our society has grown around using school as 'free' daycare so mothers/fathers could work or do whatever?
    What are you implying?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I heard this at school today, LOL.

IT'S AN OUTRAGE!

Seriously, I'd hate it so much...but then again I only have one more summer break before college.

He's not talking about taking away summer breaks in colleges, right? I didn't read the link but I will.

Hopefully Congress disapproves of it. I'll cross my fingers!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    YaYa

Obama also wants to take away 4x4 trucks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded splitting the summer break up amongst the rest of the year when I was in school. I don't think Obama's the first to speak of this idea either.

Increasing the length of an average school day would be counter-productive though. Mental fatigue is a pretty big obstacle to the learning process.

Someone said it already, the attitude problem is what's plaguing our public school system. Certain parents only view it as a daycare.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Obama also wants to do away with babies. Yeah, just get rid of 'em. Throw 'em away or somethin'. He doesn't really like the look of 'em.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I wouldn't care if summer vacation was eliminated. It was originally implemented because children were needed to help with farm work over the summer. We don't have that issue any more. However, our society has grown around the concept of summer vacations. Simply removing it would have some temporary negative consequences, but we'd get over it.
    Its crazy how many things are a throwback to when U.S. based everything around farming, like our daylight savings time, or govt subsidized farming, or special farm driver's licensing for kids as young as *14*
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Numbers indicate that the greatest socioeconomic imbalance in school performance is due to the lengthy summer vacation, other than parental involvement. This isn't just coming out of nowhere - wealthier kids do educational things like go on trips and visit museums during the summer. Poorer kids are stuck in front of the TV or Xbox to keep them out of trouble while the parents are at work.
    I think its more likely that wealthy parents (or parents in academia, etc.) simply socialize their children (often without even trying) into the habits and interests that are conducive to educational achievement. These same habits and interests are absent from many poorer student's lives outside of school. In short, its culture/values/upbringing rather than economic advantage-the latter only plays an indirect role due to the elimination of structural poverty combined with economically-segregated housing developments (resulting in less diverse parenting influences).

MBTI
    enfp

20 more minutes of math classes a day.

now, bridges stop crumbling, space shuttles stop blowing up, instant replays work better, financial meltdowns are more avoidable, DMV lines are shorter, everyone is happy

just deal with it.