User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Obama is lucky kids don't vote. And I could see making summer break shorter having some positives, but longer school days would be counterproductive, especially as students now have more homework than in past generations.
    If they're not going to reduce typical workweek hours for the parents it makes sense for longer hours for kids in school, because a gap is illogical purely in terms of a functioning society. The increased hours don't need to be intellectual, they could be physical or social hours--more time playing and hanging out. (Of course this has its own problems, like most schools not having vast open areas for all sorts of sports, and of course it'd be better if kids could spend more time with their families and this is just a band-aid.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Numbers indicate that the greatest socioeconomic imbalance in school performance is due to the lengthy summer vacation, other than parental involvement. This isn't just coming out of nowhere - wealthier kids do educational things like go on trips and visit museums during the summer. Poorer kids are stuck in front of the TV or Xbox to keep them out of trouble while the parents are at work.
    Obviously that makes sense since you can visit a museum for free and an xbox or tv costs money.

We don't need more "balancing" between low school performance and high school performance. We need the low performance to increase. If some schools have high performance with the same time commitment that actually says something else should change.

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    This Mr. Obama is quite an interesting President,... Amerika is changing.
    Yes, and I fixed your post with the new spelling.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I don't think it necessarily needs to be as intense as countries like China, Japan or Taiwan but 3 months really is too long. 6-8 weeks would work better. Think what you're losing out on if you miss a month's worth of education every year of your school life.

I never fully understood the US system. Do you have terms/semesters/whatever with breaks in between? Or are the only days that you have off during the school year statutory holidays? What's the format as it stands? And how long is the average American school day now?
    The public schools in my county start around mid-August, are off for Labor Day in early September, have a few days off for fall break, Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving, two weeks off for Christmas/New Year, a week off for spring break in March or April, a day off for Memorial Day, a few days off here and there randomly for teacher training, and sometimes days off due to inclement weather, then they let out in early June. Supposed to be 180 days total.

Elementary school starts at 8:25 AM and lets out at 2:40 PM. middle school and high school starts at 8:00 AM and lets out at 3:15 PM.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I really like the year-round calendar. It's a 5 or 6 week break for summer, which for us is plenty to go to the beach and do a week of camp or something. Then every 9 weeks there's a 3 week break. I really prefer it to the traditional calendar. But it's no more days per year. I don't think I would support adding days to the school year or hours to the school day, unless they are optional. I'll homeschool if it gets out of hand, but I don't see this getting much steam.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    The public schools in my county start around mid-August, are off for Labor Day in early September, have a few days off for fall break, Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving, two weeks off for Christmas/New Year, a week off for spring break in March or April, a day off for Memorial Day, a few days off here and there randomly for teacher training, and sometimes days off due to inclement weather, then they let out in early June. Supposed to be 180 days total.

Elementary school starts at 8:25 AM and lets out at 2:40 PM. middle school and high school starts at 8:00 AM and lets out at 3:15 PM.
    Interesting. Where I am, the school district changed so that school starts the Monday after Labor Day. (A couple years ago I believe it started earlier.) The rest is similar, but this year the school year ends in late June. I'm not sure if the school year was extended or not.

Elementary school goes from around 9am to around 4pm. Middle school goes from 7:30am to 2:20pm. High school goes from 7:35am to 2:28 pm. I think the high school used to be a few minutes shorter because I think I remember that time was added on to the school day. I'm not positive though.

Oh, and the seniors graduate a few months earlier than everyone else.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

The part of Canada where I'm from usually does a 9am - 3:30pm schedule for elementary schoolers, and high school varies (mine was 8am to 3:20pm).

We also start school after Labour Day and end late June (though my high school ended mid-June).

Also, our years for grades are separated by birth years (so Jan/Feb/March birthday kids are usually easy to pick out in kindergarten vs. the late birthdays, because of the developmental differences due to age).
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I really like the year-round calendar. It's a 5 or 6 week break for summer, which for us is plenty to go to the beach and do a week of camp or something. Then every 9 weeks there's a 3 week break. I really prefer it to the traditional calendar. But it's no more days per year. I don't think I would support adding days to the school year or hours to the school day, unless they are optional. I'll homeschool if it gets out of hand, but I don't see this getting much steam.
    I thought this idea was awesome when I first learned it (they do it in South Africa this way) but it really doesn't mesh well transitioning into university, which requires traditional blocks of semesters. I thought about transferring to the U of Pretoria for a few days until I figured out I'd have to kill 8 months just to start their system on time.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think the year round system would be better for my introverted kids. It would give them more downtime to recuperate throughout the year. Not more actual time in school, though. They are worn out enough from school as it is.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

Interesting. It seems so irregular but it seems we (in New Zealand) spend around the same amount of time in school. Also I find it confusing (like with all northern hemisphere schooling) that a school year is spread over 2 seperate years. Maybe this is where the southern hemisphere actually has the advantage. In NZ its like this:

Primary (elementary school) and intermediate/middle school (junior high) begins early Feburary around the 10th I think. There is a 2 week break every 10 weeks (except the break around Easter which is a little longer) on top of public holidays. Then they finish around 22nd of December and the summer holidays run over Christmas and new years. I think the school hours are usually around 9am until 3:10pm (some are a little longer now).

High school is similar but they start a week earlier after summer holidays and finish the year around the 10th December (sometimes earlier for the seniors due to the exam period). School hours are usually about 8:30am until 3:15pm

I have to say we're pretty lax compared to some countries. The foreign students used to make us all feel grateful that we didn't have to get up a 5:30am every morning. And I have to say I liked the even spread of the terms. It made it easier to deal with.