User Tag List

First 3111213

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think that children should be taught in classes based on ability level, rather than an arbitrary "grade" system where children are grouped by age.

If a kid's a good reader, he or she should be grouped with readers at or near the same ability. If they're poor at math, the same thing should apply. I think a big problem the system has is of pushing kids on who aren't ready to advance at one thing, which can affect performance in other areas.

Who's with me?
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENFP

Average IQ of the World
    [SIGPIC]http://www.derekrhode.com/MiscHosting/Pics/151645.png[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think that chart is bullshit for any red/dark orange country.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Australians do not have an average IQ of 60. That classifies as mild retardation which would mean a significant portion of the population were close to being vegetables. You also can't have the majority of the world with an IQ below 100. That has to be a joke or possibly propaganda from...
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I think that children should be taught in classes based on ability level, rather than an arbitrary "grade" system where children are grouped by age.

If a kid's a good reader, he or she should be grouped with readers at or near the same ability. If they're poor at math, the same thing should apply. I think a big problem the system has is of pushing kids on who aren't ready to advance at one thing, which can affect performance in other areas.

Who's with me?
    This would be a significant improvement in alot of ways honestly, though it'd be a real pain to do, and yeu'd risk some kids that WERE doing good, being shoved deeper into a cirriculum skipping stuff they needed to know to do that other stuff.

The biggest issue is that, with the way grades are set up currently, yeu KNOW that they've been at least taught certain concepts and such. From 1-12 yeu KNOW that they'll have at least been subject to it, whether they did well or not. In this variable state, there's a much higher chance of someone who was doing good, completely missing something that's absolutely needed for them to be able to progress further.

Let's say someone's going insanely well at Grade 2 math, so well in fact that they're practically equilvient to grade 4 in terms of understanding. So yeu bump them up to 4 and skip 3 entirely.

Great, now they've never been taught how to do fractions, are completely bewildered by the concept, and fail hardcore because the stuff they're being taught all assumes they covered that information already.

Unfortunately, things aren't as easy as we'd like them to be, the current system, even though it has many faults, is pretty easy to regulate and ensure that X amount of topics and information is covered without flaw. It just kinda sucks when it comes to those that were 'taught' but never understood.

A perfect system would have unlimited time available, and 1:1 teaching ratio. It's not economically possible though.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Fe = uphold the social system. That is, by doing pro-social activities. As in, not keeping to yourself if you don't have to. Fe sees someone willingly going to the library and wondering why they'd rather be holed up in a book when it's a beautiful day outside and everyone can hang out together. Wondering why that person doesn't want to talk and share things with each other. It's not just "doing what everyone else is doing", which seems to be a common characterization, but rather joining together with everyone else.

SPs wouldn't mind more time at school, provided school was giving something for them to do. My brother, xSxP that he is, couldn't stand school until he was able to start on auto tech and get his hands dirty. After that, he didn't mind staying after hours one bit. I hated school out of principle, but really didn't mind being there, as it was the greatest repository of information available in the pre-Internet era. I'd be more bored at home because there wasn't anything new there.
    First off: Not everyone in my family is an INFP. (I'm the youngest child of six.) Yet we all did well in school, and none of us were opposed to reading a book. (And as I mentioned we interacted socially while we discussed more intellectual ideas, vs what happened on a TV show.) Secondly, you just latched onto the library and nothing else that I said about there already being school-funded programs to help low-income families that are loaded with social interaction.

But back to the library first: Libraries aren't just about books. They have DVDs, group programs for kids, etc. There's all sorts of free programs funded by the city, foundations, etc, that can fulfill people's social needs, and be educational at the same time. For free. Which was my point. Library- free. X-box- not free.

Okay, so I understand that a lot of people want to do what others are doing. And yes, most kids out there are more entranced by an X-box than they are by a book. (How is staring into a TV more social than reading, please tell?) But how on earth are we ever supposed to encourage education and academic success in our country if we come straight out and say people who would rather read books than play video games are weird? (As far as Fe-related book activities, by the way, book clubs are extremely popular with adults these days.)

And if kids are sitting around playing video games then they aren't exactly enjoying the beautiful day outside with their friends, are they? I think if kids were to enjoy the beautiful day outside with their friends vs. sitting around in front of a TV or playing video games they would probably do better in school when they were there. Then maybe we wouldn't need to extend the school day.

Our culture has changed over the years. As someone mentioned, a person as intelligent as Abraham Lincoln would never be considered for public office these days- too cerebral. Albert Einstein was a celebrity in his day- I don't see any scientist celebrities these days- do you? If the social culture does not change what it thinks is cool, there is no way our kids will advance academically, no matter how long the school day or year is.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Australians do not have an average IQ of 60. That classifies as mild retardation which would mean a significant portion of the population were close to being vegetables. You also can't have the majority of the world with an IQ below 100. That has to be a joke or possibly propaganda from...
    The map referenced by this article was taken from the book “Race Differences in Intelligence: An Evolutionary Analysis” by Richard Lynn. The book focuses on intelligence per race NOT nationality. Richard and Co “tested” (actually just used others research) approximately 813,778 individuals worldwide so basically 0.01% of the worlds population. The people tested were only those indigenous to each country, so for Australia only 2.4% (approximately 400, 000 people) of the population is indigenous, whereas Asia has an indigenous population of 70%.

References
    Race Differences in Intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Indigenous peoples - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    World population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GoBEARCATS.com - Official Athletics Website of the University of Cincinnati

Here's a article about research done about the average IQ and how its not mostly based on schooling as it is Genetic traits. Race differences in average IQ are largely genetic Most indigenous Australians are very low IQ around 60. Also way back in the day Australia was a penal colony which was used to dump prisoners on. I'm not sure if that would effect the average IQ of the country today though.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.derekrhode.com/MiscHosting/Pics/151645.png[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    First off: Not everyone in my family is an INFP. (I'm the youngest child of six.) Yet we all did well in school, and none of us were opposed to reading a book. (And as I mentioned we interacted socially while we discussed more intellectual ideas, vs what happened on a TV show.) Secondly, you just latched onto the library and nothing else that I said about there already being school-funded programs to help low-income families that are loaded with social interaction.
    And yet, they still don't work out so well, simply because other influences are more alluring for various reasons. Mind you, I'm trying to leave out class-based power dynamics here, but unless you are going to make school "cool", people of most backgrounds aren't going to stay any longer than they have to. At the same time, I'd consider extracurriculars "school" in this context.

But back to the library first: Libraries aren't just about books. They have DVDs, group programs for kids, etc. There's all sorts of free programs funded by the city, foundations, etc, that can fulfill people's social needs, and be educational at the same time. For free. Which was my point. Library- free. X-box- not free.
    DVDs need players. Group programs stigmatize at a certain age (even most suburban kids don't make it to Eagle Scout, and what group for young men is more esteemed than the Boy Scouts?). You can't be sure what happens on the way to the library from the house - you aren't limiting the bad influences.

Meanwhile, you get an Xbox, your social standing is increased (due to the luxury item), and the kids are pacified for the day. Meanwhile, games are really cheap when you rent them in the short term.

Okay, so I understand that a lot of people want to do what others are doing. And yes, most kids out there are more entranced by an X-box than they are by a book. (How is staring into a TV more social than reading, please tell?) But how on earth are we ever supposed to encourage education and academic success in our country if we come straight out and say people who would rather read books than play video games are weird? (As far as Fe-related book activities, by the way, book clubs are extremely popular with adults these days.)
    TV's more social because everyone's doing the same thing at the same pace, so there's a common frame of reference. Much the same why whitewater rafting is very social but kayaking isn't so much.

I think you mistake me for making a value judgment. I personally don't think that kid is weird, but you're deluding yourself if you don't think most people do. Pointing that out isn't casting aspersions on that person. That being said, it's interesting that the height of the American educational system was also the height of the integration of the industrial arts into the curriculum. To me, not requiring shop class is as neglectful as not requiring art or music. How many people would be thrilled to go to school when they know they can make something of their own every day through their own effort? That the football field isn't the only time they can do well through their own dexterity?

And if kids are sitting around playing video games then they aren't exactly enjoying the beautiful day outside with their friends, are they? I think if kids were to enjoy the beautiful day outside with their friends vs. sitting around in front of a TV or playing video games they would probably do better in school when they were there. Then maybe we wouldn't need to extend the school day.
    Figuratively, of course. Besides, we still have the supervision question. Is it really smart to have kids outside all day when most productive adults around are working double shifts?

Our culture has changed over the years. As someone mentioned, a person as intelligent as Abraham Lincoln would never be considered for public office these days- too cerebral. Albert Einstein was a celebrity in his day- I don't see any scientist celebrities these days- do you? If the social culture does not change what it thinks is cool, there is no way our kids will advance academically, no matter how long the school day or year is.
    Lincoln's more a product of the electoral system of the time, but I see your point. That being said, was Einstein as well-known as he was for his ideas, or because he fits the archetype for theoretical scientist as well as anyone ever has? Stephen Hawking is pretty well-known.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    That being said, it's interesting that the height of the American educational system was also the height of the integration of the industrial arts into the curriculum. To me, not requiring shop class is as neglectful as not requiring art or music. How many people would be thrilled to go to school when they know they can make something of their own every day through their own effort? That the football field isn't the only time they can do well through their own dexterity?
    Full on agree. Have you read the book Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford? It addresses this issue; a good read. Perhaps you could pick it up at your local library...

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. )

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Full on agree. Have you read the book Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford? It addresses this issue; a good read. Perhaps you could pick it up at your local library...

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. )
    Clever, aren't we?