User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Ok, here you go... Lincoln was, like, the best person ever! He was God incarnate, and we should, like, worship him. He is the definition of genius.

Have fun!
    It's already been done in this thread.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

brainheart

Yeah, but I was giving you another opportunity.
    Geez, you try to be nice and generous to somebody...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

For the record, although I see the merits of year-round schooling, I'm against the extended school day. It seems such a J-dominated tactic to control and structure more of children's time. I agree that extracurricular activities are important, and that the freedom of college is better dealt with if young people have had some unstructured time with which to make choices before hand. I'm also one of those people who rage against the idea that a child's day should be insanely structured with school, sports, and other classes. People need SPACE TO BREATHE. Kids need to play. Sheesh.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Umm, most museums cost at least $10 a pop to visit in a major city. Never mind that there's no time to do it because parents are working 60+ hours a week to get by. That $150 on a used console is a lot more reasonable in that context, considering how much of a workout it'll get.
    You know what's free? Libraries.

My family was not poor by any means, but we were also not well off. And my family had priorities when it came to spending money. Use it for education, don't spend it on snack food or clothes or most decidedly, X boxes. Also, there are plenty of federal programs already in effect for low-income families. I know in our school district low-income families get free YMCA out of school care, reduced hot lunches, and other free after-school enrichment programs. Also you can get reduced or free museum tickets, etc.

I voted for Obama, by the way. I am all for improving education, I just don't think extending the school day is the way to do it. My family was very supportive of academic success. We had discussions at the dinner table and frequently cited the dictionary. I went to the library on a regular basis. If I hadn't had a family like this I doubt I would have succeeded academically as I did, nor have a lifelong love for learning. Families have to be held accountable for their children's success; it is not merely the government's responsibility.

P.S. I needed those after school hours in high school to work so I could save money for college.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My family was not poor by any means, but we were also not well off. And my family had priorities when it came to spending money. Use it for education, don't spend it on snack food or clothes or most decidedly, X boxes. Also, there are plenty of federal programs already in effect for low-income families. I know in our school district low-income families get free YMCA out of school care, reduced hot lunches, and other free after-school enrichment programs. Also you can get reduced or free museum tickets, etc.

I voted for Obama, by the way. I am all for improving education, I just don't think extending the school day is the way to do it. My family was very supportive of academic success. We had discussions at the dinner table and frequently cited the dictionary. I went to the library on a regular basis. If I hadn't had a family like this I doubt I would have succeeded academically as I did, nor have a lifelong love for learning. Families have to be held accountable for their children's success; it is not merely the government's responsibility.

P.S. I needed those after school hours in high school to work so I could save money for college.
    I agree with nearly every word you said. I learned to read before kindergarten because my grandfather taught me how to read. He instilled a love of reading into my by example - he read often and my parents took me to the library. During the summertime I did math workbooks in elementary school, and that was also thanks to my grandfather, not the public school system.

Some of the most intelligent, educated people I know are people who both went to school and read a great deal on their own. Going to school alone just isn't enough, and lengthening the school day isn't going to create a love of learning or spark intellectual curiousity. In fact, it might squash it. This is because some people find what they're most interested in doing/learning about in their free time, and being forced to learn what the school system wants you to learn can interfere with what you're actually interested in or good at.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Who wants to be known as that weird kid who is at the library all the time?

brainheart

Um, I guess me? And they let you check stuff out, in case you didn't know.

I think you have completely destroyed your entire argument with that one sentence. If our culture thinks learning is weird (as it does), we are forever doomed, no matter how long the school day is or the length of the breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

As long as it results in faster graduation or shorter class periods, why not?

I don't really see what difference it would make, really. I have to admit, I kind of missed school over the summer break, and really relied on school to bring me into contact with other people, even if I just listened to them and didn't interact. Summer break was so depressing and lonely... now my whole life is like that. I literally can't get anything anymore without asserting myself, and that's scary. I'm so unbelievably tired of being asked to find everything I need from within, and being given no help.

I hate the independent mindset and freedom of enough rope to hang myself. Why did they ever think freedom and democracy were good ideas for everyone?! I'm certainly not cut out for them.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    As long as it results in faster graduation or shorter class periods, why not?

I don't really see what difference it would make, really.
    Because faster graduation is not necessarily everyone's priority. There's a certain frame of mind that values faster graduation above all else.

If anything, I think it might create more high school drop-outs.