User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I want to know why extending the school day specifically is a bad idea?
    I am not particularly against year-round schooling but there are many reasons to be against extending the school day.

1) kids have more homework than ever. Longer school day = more classes so more homework with less time to do it in

2) extracurriculars are extremely important to the college application process. Longer school day = less time and less willingness for extracurriculars

3) teachers are overworked and underpaid as it is, and usually stay long hours after school anyway. This would mean they would have to stay even longer hours for grading/maintenance/etc, leading to more exhausted teachers

4) the school day is already mostly fluff. More fluff is not going to help anyone

5) College-bound kids already have enough trouble adjusting to the freedom of college once they get there. A longer school day would mean more hand-holding and an even more difficult transition

And I'm sure there are many, many more.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I am not particularly against year-round schooling but there are many reasons to be against extending the school day.

1) kids have more homework than ever. Longer school day = more classes so more homework with less time to do it in

2) extracurriculars are extremely important to the college application process. Longer school day = less time and less willingness for extracurriculars

3) teachers are overworked and underpaid as it is, and usually stay long hours after school anyway. This would mean they would have to stay even longer hours for grading/maintenance/etc, leading to more exhausted teachers

4) the school day is already mostly fluff. More fluff is not going to help anyone

5) College-bound kids already have enough trouble adjusting to the freedom of college once they get there. A longer school day would mean more hand-holding and an even more difficult transition

And I'm sure there are many, many more.
    this is pretty creative stuff. Does this just spill out of your brain without that much effort? I think ur english teacher should definitely sign u up for AP English writing. =)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    There's a personal finance class at my school and it's a joke.

Most of the classes at my school are a joke. About the only one that isn't is orchestra, and that's not a part of a standard curriculum.

American high schools are just there so you can get into a college. And, to get into a good one, you need to do stuff outside of school, too. Extending the school day will make it more difficult to develop any skills outside of school.
    That's too bad. I don't know that class is taught at your school, but I'm sure it could be better implemented. I doubt that lecturing on personal finance would work with children. They need a more hands-on approach.

I don't remember all of the details, but I recently heard a story about a primary school that gave each class $10,000 to invest when they entered the first grade, and at the end of sixth grade, the students were allowed to keep their profit (the original $10,000 was given to a new first grade class). This apparently was very successful in teaching the students how to manage their money. I know this didn't touch budgeting, but I think it's useful and a step in the right direction.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

brainheart

GRRR. If I would have had to go to school longer, without an extended break, I would have been even more miserable as a child than I already was. The only things that made childhood worthwhile for me were:

- free time to learn on my own because I wasn't being taught much at school, and at home I had the freedom to learn about the things I really cared about in depth;

- time to just be, either exploring or creating or imaginative play.

Kids already don't have enough unstructured time; everything is planned and organized anymore. Some of us get seriously stressed out by everything being planned and organized and not being able to make our own choices.

Maybe the solution, instead, would be to change who and what we esteem in this culture? Abraham Lincoln did just fine and he is said to have only had a full year of schooling throughout his life.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Maybe the solution, instead, would be to change who and what we esteem in this culture? Abraham Lincoln did just fine and he is said to have only had a full year of schooling throughout his life.
    Maybe Lincoln should have had more schooling considering the fact that he is the only president to ever suspend habeas corpus for US citizens. He even went so far as to defy the Supreme Court on the matter. The Supreme Court ruled his suspension unconstitutional, and he refused to obey. The least educated president in US history was also the most tyrannical.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Maybe Lincoln should have had more schooling considering the fact that he is the only president to ever suspend habeas corpus for US citizens. He even went so far as to defy the Supreme Court on the matter. The Supreme Court ruled his suspension unconstitutional, and he refused to obey. The least educated president in US history was also the most tyrannical.
    ever heard of the fallacy of false cause?

go read some of his speeches, or some of the famous debates he had. He was 100X more learned than any president we've had in the past 50 years. This is mainly due to our current culture being anti-intellectual. If any president were to sound as smart as Lincoln, people would think he was elitist.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    ever heard of the fallacy of false cause?

go read some of his speeches, or some of the famous debates he had. He was 100X more learned than any president we've had in the past 50 years. This is mainly due to our current culture being anti-intellectual. If any president were to sound as smart as Lincoln, people would think he was elitist.
    100 times? Really? Wow! I'll go pray at his grave tonight!

You've completely missed my point, but that's alright. It was probably just over your head.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    My point was that some of the brightest minds we've seen have been those who were self-taught. School can only do so much. You have to have the drive to learn things. It can't be shoved down your throat.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    My point was that some of the brightest minds we've seen have been those who were self-taught. School can only do so much. You have to have the drive to learn things. It can't be shoved down your throat.
    I'll never pass an on opportunity to bash Lincoln.

brainheart

Ok, here you go... Lincoln was, like, the best person ever! He was God incarnate, and we should, like, worship him. He is the definition of genius.

Have fun!