User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 205

  1. #51
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    So if you can stop being a smart ass trying to make others look bad, you might be able to focus on the real problems facing humanity.
    Don't hold your breath.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #52
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    If CO2 was such a big problem, WHY isn't everyone growing plants and trees? If it was such a huge threat I think we would be ordered to start growing plants to photosynthesize some oxygen for us and lower CO2 levels in the atmosphere.

    That is unless the government doesn't really give a shit and they want us to die, and they just want to profit off our deaths by taxing us for killing ourselves. Or could it be that CO2 isn't really such a huge threat, and you've been lied to, to get taxed by blaming yourselves?

    Hmmm who KNOWS? It's silly that everyone thinks CO2 is the core problem, and the solution is right in front of their faces, but they don't do anything to fix it.
    Grow some plants then, make a greenhouse to fight the greenhouse effect!

  3. #53
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    If CO2 was such a big problem, WHY isn't everyone growing plants and trees? If it was such a huge threat I think we would be ordered to start growing plants to photosynthesize some oxygen for us and lower CO2 levels in the atmosphere.

    That is unless the government doesn't really give a shit and they want us to die, and they just want to profit off our deaths by taxing us for killing ourselves. Or could it be that CO2 isn't really such a huge threat, and you've been lied to, to get taxed by blaming yourselves?
    Stopping or even curtailing the effects of deforestation on a large scale would take massive government involvement and regulation of the economy, and conservatives, moderates, and libertarians are against anything like that. Our current rates of deforestation aren't sustainable.

    However, the stimulus bill is putting billions towards environmental restoration, you can thank Obama for that. So that's a good step.

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    Hmmm who KNOWS? It's silly that everyone thinks CO2 is the core problem, and the solution is right in front of their faces, but they don't do anything to fix it.
    Grow some plants then, make a greenhouse to fight the greenhouse effect!
    The rapid increase in CO2 emissions in the 20th century is the exact reason for the rapid increase in global warming in the 20th century, due to the greenhouse effect.

  4. #54
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Stopping or even curtailing the effects of deforestation on a large scale would take massive government involvement and regulation of the economy, and conservatives, moderates, and libertarians are against anything like that. Our current rates of deforestation aren't sustainable.

    However, the stimulus bill is putting billions towards environmental restoration, you can thank Obama for that. So that's a good step.



    The rapid increase in CO2 emissions in the 20th century is the exact reason for the rapid increase in global warming in the 20th century, due to the greenhouse effect.
    like I said, I never said CO2 doesn't add to the problem. But if we fixed our Co2 levels in one day somehow, do you really think the globe would return to normal? There might be cosmic activity that is causing us to heat up, you didn't check that up did you? Also all the concrete construction is creating the giant heat soaking mechanism, you didn't address this factor either. CO2 is not the only problem and you are failing to address this at all, you are just spitting out the CO2 propaganda because that's what big brother told you.

  5. #55
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    like I said, I never said CO2 doesn't add to the problem. But if we fixed our Co2 levels in one day somehow, do you really think the globe would return to normal? There might be cosmic activity that is causing us to heat up, you didn't check that up did you? Also all the concrete construction is creating the giant heat soaking mechanism, you didn't address this factor either. CO2 is not the only problem and you are failing to address this at all, you are just spitting out the CO2 propaganda because that's what big brother told you.
    CO2 is the problem. Even if we were to assume that your cosmic activity theory (you also believe in telekinesis, just sayin) is valid and that it played a role in the recent 20th century warming... government couldn't do anything about that.

    How we burn fossil fuels on earth is something that can be addressed, unless you have a special NASA project in mind.

  6. #56
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    CO2 is the problem. Even if we were to assume that your cosmic activity theory (you also believe in telekinesis, just sayin) is valid and that it played a role in the recent 20th century warming... government couldn't do anything about that.

    How we burn fossil fuels on earth is something that can be addressed, unless you have a special NASA project in mind.
    jeesh you people base your judgments are irrelevant topics like my TK, and I don't believe in it, I KNOW it. What does TK have to do with global warming? You are now judging the person instead of the argument. So if it wasn't a person who talks about TK then I guess all of a sudden you would be more open to hearing their points? That doesn't really make sense.

    You don't need to assume things when you know the facts, every other planet in our solar system has had increasing temperatures along with our own planet, look it up, stop being ignorant. Exactly, government can't do anything about it, so why are they blaming us and taxing us for something that might not be our faults to begin with?

    It's not that I don't agree that something should be done to help mother earth heal herself, it's that people are being narrow minded and only looking to fix one aspect of the problem. If we keep expanding with our current construction methods, it's not helping, if we keep burning "fossil fuels"/petroleum (you should look up the "fossil fuel" thing too) then yes not only does it consume oxygen and release CO2 but it also releases other harmful gases like NOX.

    People are afraid of uncertainty so they latch on to anything that seems to make sense on the surface, people who admit to uncertainty are being realistic, but it's not very appealing to the masses who are desperately searching for a savior. I'm only promoting the idea that there needs to be MORE research done on this to really get to the root of the cause, and I think you fail to realize that I'm not against making the planet a better place to live. We have more in common than you realize but you are just being ignorant to the other possible causes of global warming.

    Newest Giant Heat Sinks


  7. #57
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    jeesh you people base your judgments are irrelevant topics like my TK, and I don't believe in it, I KNOW it. What does TK have to do with global warming? You are now judging the person instead of the argument. So if it wasn't a person who talks about TK then I guess all of a sudden you would be more open to hearing their points? That doesn't really make sense.

    You don't need to assume things when you know the facts, every other planet in our solar system has had increasing temperatures along with our own planet, look it up, stop being ignorant. Exactly, government can't do anything about it, so why are they blaming us and taxing us for something that might not be our faults to begin with?

    It's not that I don't agree that something should be done to help mother earth heal herself, it's that people are being narrow minded and only looking to fix one aspect of the problem. If we keep expanding with our current construction methods, it's not helping, if we keep burning "fossil fuels"/petroleum (you should look up the "fossil fuel" thing too) then yes not only does it consume oxygen and release CO2 but it also releases other harmful gases like NOX.

    People are afraid of uncertainty so they latch on to anything that seems to make sense on the surface, people who admit to uncertainty are being realistic, but it's not very appealing to the masses who are desperately searching for a savior. I'm only promoting the idea that there needs to be MORE research done on this to really get to the root of the cause, and I think you fail to realize that I'm not against making the planet a better place to live. We have more in common than you realize but you are just being ignorant to the other possible causes of global warming.
    Maybe you can use your telekinesis to prevent the cosmic activity from heating the world up, but in case that doesn't work, let's take care of these emissions.

    Have you ever met a fringe theory you didn't like? Cryptozoology? The Illuminati? Healing crystals?

  8. #58
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Maybe you can use your telekinesis to prevent the cosmic activity from heating the world up, but in case that doesn't work, let's take care of these emissions.

    Have you ever met a fringe theory you didn't like? Cryptozoology? The Illuminati? Healing crystals?
    umm yea... still returning to the same tactics huh? Still have nothing to say about the other planets heating up and still nothing to say about expansion of modern construction. Round and round we go, I'm done here, I'm sure you get the point, just your ego flaring up now.

  9. #59
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The rapid increase in CO2 emissions in the 20th century is the exact reason for the rapid increase in global warming in the 20th century, due to the greenhouse effect.
    That is the current leading theory, yes. Thank you.

  10. #60
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | What happened to global warming?

    What happened to global warming?

    By Paul Hudson
    Climate correspondent, BBC News

    Planet Earth (Nasa)
    Average temperatures have not increased for over a decade

    This headline may come as a bit of a surprise, so too might that fact that the warmest year recorded globally was not in 2008 or 2007, but in 1998.

    But it is true. For the last 11 years we have not observed any increase in global temperatures.

    And our climate models did not forecast it, even though man-made carbon dioxide, the gas thought to be responsible for warming our planet, has continued to rise.

    So what on Earth is going on?

    Climate change sceptics, who passionately and consistently argue that man's influence on our climate is overstated, say they saw it coming.

    They argue that there are natural cycles, over which we have no control, that dictate how warm the planet is. But what is the evidence for this?

    During the last few decades of the 20th Century, our planet did warm quickly.
    The Sun (BBC)
    Recent research has ruled out solar influences on temperature increases

    Sceptics argue that the warming we observed was down to the energy from the Sun increasing. After all 98% of the Earth's warmth comes from the Sun.

    But research conducted two years ago, and published by the Royal Society, seemed to rule out solar influences.

    The scientists' main approach was simple: to look at solar output and cosmic ray intensity over the last 30-40 years, and compare those trends with the graph for global average surface temperature.

    And the results were clear. "Warming in the last 20 to 40 years can't have been caused by solar activity," said Dr Piers Forster from Leeds University, a leading contributor to this year's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

    But one solar scientist Piers Corbyn from Weatheraction, a company specialising in long range weather forecasting, disagrees.

    He claims that solar charged particles impact us far more than is currently accepted, so much so he says that they are almost entirely responsible for what happens to global temperatures.

    He is so excited by what he has discovered that he plans to tell the international scientific community at a conference in London at the end of the month.

    If proved correct, this could revolutionise the whole subject.

    Ocean cycles

    What is really interesting at the moment is what is happening to our oceans. They are the Earth's great heat stores.

    Pacific ocean (BBC)
    In the last few years [the Pacific Ocean] has been losing its warmth and has recently started to cool down

    According to research conducted by Professor Don Easterbrook from Western Washington University last November, the oceans and global temperatures are correlated.

    The oceans, he says, have a cycle in which they warm and cool cyclically. The most important one is the Pacific decadal oscillation (PDO).

    For much of the 1980s and 1990s, it was in a positive cycle, that means warmer than average. And observations have revealed that global temperatures were warm too.

    But in the last few years it has been losing its warmth and has recently started to cool down.

    These cycles in the past have lasted for nearly 30 years.

    So could global temperatures follow? The global cooling from 1945 to 1977 coincided with one of these cold Pacific cycles.

    Professor Easterbrook says: "The PDO cool mode has replaced the warm mode in the Pacific Ocean, virtually assuring us of about 30 years of global cooling."

    So what does it all mean? Climate change sceptics argue that this is evidence that they have been right all along.

    They say there are so many other natural causes for warming and cooling, that even if man is warming the planet, it is a small part compared with nature.

    But those scientists who are equally passionate about man's influence on global warming argue that their science is solid.

    The UK Met Office's Hadley Centre, responsible for future climate predictions, says it incorporates solar variation and ocean cycles into its climate models, and that they are nothing new.

    In fact, the centre says they are just two of the whole host of known factors that influence global temperatures - all of which are accounted for by its models.

    In addition, say Met Office scientists, temperatures have never increased in a straight line, and there will always be periods of slower warming, or even temporary cooling.

    What is crucial, they say, is the long-term trend in global temperatures. And that, according to the Met office data, is clearly up.

    To confuse the issue even further, last month Mojib Latif, a member of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) says that we may indeed be in a period of cooling worldwide temperatures that could last another 10-20 years.
    Iceberg melting (BBC)
    The UK Met Office says that warming is set to resume

    Professor Latif is based at the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences at Kiel University in Germany and is one of the world's top climate modellers.

    But he makes it clear that he has not become a sceptic; he believes that this cooling will be temporary, before the overwhelming force of man-made global warming reasserts itself.

    So what can we expect in the next few years?

    Both sides have very different forecasts. The Met Office says that warming is set to resume quickly and strongly.

    It predicts that from 2010 to 2015 at least half the years will be hotter than the current hottest year on record (1998).

    Sceptics disagree. They insist it is unlikely that temperatures will reach the dizzy heights of 1998 until 2030 at the earliest. It is possible, they say, that because of ocean and solar cycles a period of global cooling is more likely.

    One thing is for sure. It seems the debate about what is causing global warming is far from over. Indeed some would say it is hotting up.

Similar Threads

  1. What is some viable proof of Global Warming?
    By Blackout in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 05-25-2016, 09:40 PM
  2. Data on Global Warming is being Faked!!!!!!!!!
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 11:41 AM
  3. The Great Global Warming Swindle
    By reason in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM
  4. Conspiracy theories cluster - global warming hoax is among them.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 06:42 AM
  5. Global warming
    By Nocapszy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO