User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    I'm not the one coming to any conclusions, you are. All I see is someone coming to a conclusion and pretending to thoroughly understand scientific research while having no real grasp of how climate models work.
    You've never seen me actually argue the issue. If that is the pleasure you seek, you'll have to refer to some of my much older posts on the topic. You sure as hell wont see me argue it in any future time frame, kind of like how you wont see any warming in any future time frame (except after a few decades of cooling).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    But anyway. Just so you know there's an interesting correlation between pollution and global warming. So maybe you should investigate the issue more thoroughly.
    Some "greenhouse gases" are pollutants, but labeling carbon dioxide as a pollutant is a lot like labeling oxygen as a pollutant. Personally, I'm a big fan of applying cost/benefits analysis to environmental issues, and the hysteria over carbon dioxide is extremely likely to be counter-productive. Also, the self-rightous demonization that has been directed at people who, say, oppose the Kyoto Protocol has been extremely annoying. Risen is being hyperbolic, but his point concerning the mainstream media's silence (at best) about information that is less than wholly supportive of that particular agenda is valid.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    You've never seen me actually argue the issue.
    This is true. What I often see from you are just shrill quotes from mostly fringe/marginal sources. I've even seen your fellow "conservatives" on this site trying to let you know you're just embarrassing yourself.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    This is true. What I often see from you are just shrill quotes from mostly fringe/marginal sources. I've even seen your fellow "conservatives" on this site trying to let you know you're just embarrassing yourself.
    Embarrassment would be giving credence to your religious convictions by gracing you with an argument/debate on the actual facts of global warming. I don't like having egg on my face. I'd much rather sit back and throw eggs at the angry little pit bulls on the other side of the fence and enjoy watching them squirm and writhe in agony over not being able to control a damn thing.

You are in my game, I control the rules of engagement.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Even if global warming is on hold or whatever, aren't there still plenty of, you know, other consequences to polluting that are bad? Like lead in the water and air quality?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Even if global warming is on hold or whatever, aren't there still plenty of, you know, other consequences to polluting that are bad? Like lead in the water and air quality?
    Why on earth do your brains insist on drawing that fallacious connection between policies meant to stop the production of CO2 so that the earth doesn't warm (in itself a false argument for the reasons of making the policies and for the premise itself) and policies meant to stop the corrosion of the environment through the introduction of UNNATURAL chemicals and and physical destruction? Why does it make you feel so good to believe that you are helping mother earth by eliminating what mother earth makes constantly (CO2)? Why do you focus on something that has never killed or harmed a god damn thing in the ecosystem, and take attention away from all the trash and REAL pollutants we still dump into our oceans!? Why do you guys hate nature so much?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Why on earth do your brains insist on drawing that fallacious connection between policies meant to stop the production of CO2 so that the earth doesn't warm (in itself a false argument for the reasons of making the policies and for the premise itself) and policies meant to stop the corrosion of the environment through the introduction of UNNATURAL chemicals and and physical destruction? Why does it make you feel so good to believe that you are helping mother earth by eliminating what mother earth makes constantly (CO2)? Why do you focus on something that has never killed or harmed a god damn thing in the ecosystem, and take attention away from all the trash and REAL pollutants we still dump into our oceans!? Why do you guys hate nature so much?
    Oh, I thought we were talking about ozone...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    That's where cost/benefits analysis comes in; things like mercury are long-term problems that get worse over time...air quality, not so much. Many people may reasonably prefer a good economy over pristine air, and most pollutants only become a problem after a certain saturation point. Carbon dioxide has nothing to do with the types of consequences you mentioned, in any event.

Edit: Wow, 1,000 posts!
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 09-26-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: self-evident.

MBTI
    XNXP

I can agree that "hurting/destroying the earth" and "making things uncomfortable or unsafe for humanity" are often two different things. There are certainly Leftist "pitbulls" who conflate the two.

One sees extremists on both sides. A member of my own family said that she thought it wouldn't matter too much how bad things got here on ol' earth, since Rapture was coming soon anyways...

The Washington Independent
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I can agree that "hurting/destroying the earth" and "making things uncomfortable or unsafe for humanity" are often two different things. There are certainly Leftist "pitbulls" who conflate the two.

One sees extremists on both sides. A member of my own family said that she thought it wouldn't matter too much how bad things got here on ol' earth, since Rapture was coming soon anyways...
    Those rapture people get on my nerves... Jesus Christ, it's the ultimate fucking pass to do whatever the f*** they want while thinking they wont be held accountable for their own contributions to the state of the world cus they think they'll be magically taken away from it all. And the bible barely even has a shred of wording to support this cockamamie idea. I've got people in my own family who believe this, and aren't doing crap in their lives cus they think they wont even be here much longer. They're no different than man made global warming believers (ok, maybe sliiiightly worse, like by a 10^-26 nanometer margin).