User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Is the government out to get me?

I live with a whole family full of conspiracy theorists. They read every little conspiracy article on the internet and pile it all away. If you talk to one of them you will hear a lot of interesting beliefs.

1. Ancient royal bloodlines descending from the beginning of civilization continue to control the world through secret organizations like the Free Masons and Illuminati.
    2. Earth has a secret space fleet and we are currently engaging in trade with extra terrestrials.
    3. The Real ID is a ploy to put chips in every human being so that the government can track our every move and purchase.
    4. Cell phone towers are being used at certain frequencies to alter human consciousness.
    5. Planes are spraying harmful barium and aluminum particles in the air in chem trails in order to protect us from the spread of fallout from a nuclear explosion that the government is planning to perpetrate and blame on Iran.
    6. AIDs was manufactured as a means of controlling the African and gay population.

I am incredibly skeptical of this craziness, but my family holds to their convictions so strongly that I can't close my mind completely to the ideas. So how likely is it that big brother is out to get us? Is there any way to talk a person out of a conspiracy theory once they have one?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I barely consider those in government competent enough to organise a piss up in a brewery, nevermind anything on that list.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes, the government is out to get you.

You know those specs of dust floating around in your living room? Those are actually tiny cameras the government uses to watch your every move.

And boogers are actually pieces of your brain falling out. The truth is that if you eat them, you recycle your brain, reducing your risk of Alzheimer's disease. To ensure that the people remain stupid and clueless, it is considered to be socially acceptable to use Kleenex.

Right now, people are only brainwashed to think eating boogers is gross. Eventually, when people get out of that rut, the government will begin interrogating, torturing, and executing people for being picker-eaters.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    I barely consider those in government competent enough to organise a piss up in a brewery, nevermind anything on that list.
    I agree... although I might have said it more nicely.

I think that there might be organizations that promote their agendas unbeknownst to us, but I don't think they're part of the actual government. I think they're probably either criminal organizations, or corporations.

But in the federal government?

TINC

It's honestly not that powerful or well-run.

MBTI
    INTJ

If AIDS was manufactured to control any population...it wouldn't have been wasted on Africa.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTP

Conspiracies are very possible... but we don't call them conspiracies.

The wake up call was the police action in Montreal, posing as protestors and aiming to incite a riot. This was the first full discovery since it was said to have happened in the US a few times. The marginalized protest groups were not listened to under the title of conspiracy.

Just as 9/11 was a conspiracy.

Conspiracies happen all the time - but they are generally in board rooms, or a small gang in some restaurant. It's not a large shadowy movement, although it can be... plenty of those kinds of para-military operations that were off the books and strictly speaking, illegal.

What do you call Enron? Or the various propoganda/insurgency campaigns "off the CIA" books?

Anyway, the question is how realistic these views are, not if they are conspiracies. The RFID tag was actually tried already and some companies are doing it. Conspiracy? Not really, unless it was unlawful (which I believe is still grey area).

But aliens and the rest? Yeesh.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    it certainly seems that way...
    theres a pyramid structure hidden in there somewhere, and at the top, the eye sees all. each level below, knows nothing more than it should, until you get to the very bottom, the little politicians trying to do good for the people....puppets, the minds of a toy, and if they do well, for the eyes of the eye one above them, they get eyed,
    and eye eye,.....up one wink they go, bit like my workplace botty lickin' good.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

It's honestly not that powerful or well-run.
    really,....???

'in politics, nothing happens by chance'. president F D roosevelt

MBTI
    OMNi

Alright, I was feeling bad for being so skeptical, and "close minded" as my family often calls me, so it's nice to hear that the government is probably too disorganized to get me. Let's keep it that way.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Alright, I was feeling bad for being so skeptical, and "close minded" as my family often calls me, so it's nice to hear that the government is probably too disorganized to get me. Let's keep it that way.
    The man agrees.

One way to make sure crime doesn't pay would be to let the government run it. - Ronald Reagan
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume