User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I see nothing wrong with people practicing the "be fruitful and multiply" idealogy so long as they (esp the women) are happy doing it. I do, however, think there is something majorly wrong with incest and inbreeding. That's disgusting not to mention it encourages genetic problems.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wow. That's insane.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I see nothing wrong with people practicing the "be fruitful and multiply" idealogy so long as they (esp the women) are happy doing it. I do, however, think there is something majorly wrong with incest and inbreeding. That's disgusting not to mention it encourages genetic problems.
    You don't have to say that twice.

In this case, though, there isn't much information about how close cousins they actually were. And that's not the point I want to make here.

I'm not at all that familiar with this kind of Ultra-Orthodox Judaism they practiced and what goes on in these communities. 80 years ago, when they got married, I can imagine how restricted the community they were living in was. I mean, most probably fixed marriages and so on.

According to Wikipedia (a trustworthy source, I'm sure, but that's the best I've got at the moment and I'm skimming it as it is ):
    Jewish law, known as halacha is considered a set of God-given instructions to effect spiritual, moral, religious and personal perfection. As such, it includes codes of behavior applicable to virtually every imaginable circumstance (and many hypothetical ones), which have been pored over and developed throughout the generations in a constantly expanding collection of religious literature.

Halacha is a guide for everything the traditional Jew does from the moment of awakening until the moment of sleep. It is a body of intricate laws, combined with the reasoning on how such conclusions are reached. Halacha incorporates as rules many practices that began as customs, some passed down over the centuries, and an assortment of ingrained behaviors.
    So, taking the above into consideration, all this "commandment to be fruitful and multiply" thing, I don't know, I don't really feel comfortable with it because I hate to be "commanded" to do anything.

But since I have no personal experience with it or any extensive knowledge about it, I wouldn't know how things really are with it. I don't have any kind of religious background and I can't evaluate how much happiness is actually involved with what seems to be such a strict religion.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    So, taking the above into consideration, all this "commandment to be fruitful and multiply" thing, I don't know, I don't really feel comfortable with it because I hate to be "commanded" to do anything.

But since I have no personal experience with it or any extensive knowledge about it, I wouldn't know how things really are with it. I don't have any kind of religious background and I can't evaluate how much happiness is actually involved with what seems to be such a strict religion.
    Hi Sky.

Some people are happy to follow their religious beliefs, even if they are strict. The saving grace here, imo, is that not everyone is religious and not everyone who is religious will want to multiply fruitfully, and aside from third world countries, as someone else pointed out, we have freedom of choice in what religion we want to practice or not. That certainly helps to control potential population problems.

As for whether the "be fruitful and multiply" practice is "right or wrong", I think it's been debated a lot with regards to the Mormon religion. As far as I know, they are also instructed to "be fruitful and mulitply" and once a male Mormon (a father himself) told me that they treat the women like sows and he feels sorry for them. A husband and wife are frowned upon in that religion for not having as many children as they possibly can.

I love children myself and will have them someday, but being forced to have 8, 9... 14 of them would be out of the question for me. In fact, I rather like so many things about the Mormon religion how it is today and have considered joining it if it weren't for that one specific practice that they have. As for those who multiply fruitfully by command, I just say "to each their own".

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I was reading the story today about an actress who supposedly had concensual sex with her father (and am, as I'm typing this, hearing another story about an incestuous couple who moved to another country), and saw some people commenting on the topic. One person said, "To our grandparents, interracial marriage was shocking and disgusting. To our parents, homosexual marriage was shocking and disgusting. To us, incest is shocking and disgusting." Implying that, innevitably... yea, you get the picture. And I don't at all doubt it considering how a completel lack of social boundaries, particularly in the sexual arena, seems to be the order of the day. It's even more evident when people completely gloss over that element of the story as if it were all normal. So, I predict that within the next generation or two, incestuous relationships may be comparable to what homosexuality is today. Widely accepted in the culture and not too uncommon. It'll either be incest or some other sexual deviance which I don't want to entertain the thought of becoming normalized...