User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Whitewashing negatives in US History Texts

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfdz7b8jNnc"]Board of Education member wants to "take out the negatives" and "start when they are younger" with whitewashing US history[/YOUTUBE]
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

For our status as a super power, our history is rather clean when compared to others, besides the point, as a realist I accept the negatives and positives as part of our country as part of what makes us dynamic.

If she is referring to elementary kids, sure maybe they don't want to start off and shock them with brutality, mass murders, cruelty, etc, that I can understand.

If she is talking about high school, then yes this is a problem. as it is just simple leaving out a huge picture.

At least in retrospect to my education, it started out with basic history guidelines covering several centuries, then they work on filling the spaces, then you get the gruesome facts.

Overall, I don't believe she has a lot of sway, so the issue is a mute point.

My $.02 anyways

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

"Our students have to learn about American exceptionalism and how unique our country is... that needs to be stressed more"

America needs to do stress this more?! Educators need to "take out the negatives"?! This woman is advocating ignorance, blind pride and brainwashing.

Isn't it better that kids learn about how great America is despite its faults? Isn't it better that kids learn to ask questions of their government and its institutions and to demand more from them? Isn't it better that kids grow up hoping to improve their country, to change their country for the better?

Are there really people like this woman out there?

For our status as a super power, our history is rather clean when compared to others, besides the point, as a realist I accept the negatives and positives as part of our country as part of what makes us dynamic.
    You are joking, right?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post

You are joking, right?
    You seek to compare 200 something years, to that of Europe's or Asia's? I grantee you I can find darker pieces of history on super powers on those continents than you could on the US. The US is a super power yet is still an extremely young country, the US's rap sheet is not as long when compared to any other past or current super power.

As a super power, our history will naturally be full of conflict, fights out of self interest, lies etc. but if you believe our history is darker than other super powers you are sadly mistaken.

Edit:

good vs evil, paints things as black and white, which is far from the case, each super power has played saint and sinner, sometimes at the same time, this leads to more dynamic politics or a more dynamic understanding of politics.

not sure what part you found humorous the dynamic part, or comparing history, I'm assuming the later.

MBTI
    ESFJ

There are lot of negative things about American history that should be included in textbooks. Actually, a lot of negative things about the federal government are not covered in textbooks even still. Of course, American kids don't learn nearly enough about the negatives of other countries other than maybe Germany and the Soviet Union.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

She's a Nazi.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    You seek to compare 200 something years, to that of Europe's or Asia's? I grantee you I can find darker pieces of history on super powers on those continents than you could on the US. The US is super power yet is still an extremely young country, the US's rap sheet is not as long.

As a super power, our history will naturally be full of conflict, fighting out of self interest, lies etc. but if you believe our history is darker than other super powers you are sadly mistaken.

Edit:

good vs evil, paints things as black and white, which is far from the case, each super power has played saint and sinner, sometimes at the same time, this leads to more dynamic politics.
    Perhaps the US has done a little better than some (I wouldn't go so far to say that their record is compartively cleaner), mostly because it has taken power in a time when there are higher expectations of behaviour. But many of the terrible acts performed were done less openly and have been downplayed or ignored altogether. A lot of the things done in the Cold War (playing poor developing nations as pawns, providing funding and/or arms to warlords in order to start coups or civil wars etc) that have gone under the radar are very worrying. Of course there is only so much that can be discussed because information is scare in places (due to CIA secrecy acts etc) but there is still plenty of evidence about.

Like every country, it is so important for the US to own up to their previous mistakes. Education is a good place to start.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Perhaps the US has done a little better than some, mostly because it has taken power in a time when there are higher expectations of behaviour. But many of the terrible acts performed were done less openly and have been downplayed or ignored altogether. A lot of the things done in the Cold War (playing poor developing nations as pawns, providing funding and/or arms to warlords in order to start coups or civil wars etc) that have gone under the radar are very worrying. Of course there is only so much that can be discussed because information is scare in places (due to CIA secrecy acts etc) but there is still plenty of evidence about.

Like every country, it is so important for the US to own up to their previous mistakes. Education is a good place to start.
    I don't disagree, though the main topic or the main question to the topic is how well can 5 to 12 year olds grasp concepts beyond good vs evil and us vs them, childen at such an age are extremely hedonistic and their views on life reflect that.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Many of our American "heroes" are anything but. And many of our "villains" are actually good people.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

As far as my knowledge goes, early school seeks to cover a large span of history, then as you go on in levels, they fill in the blanks, for example in school the civil war was merely a war to free the slaves, yet it took until the early 20th century to gain legal rights and then 50-60 years later to enforced legal rights? Wait a second, wasn't this about freeing the slaves? Later on, other interests in the Civil war are explained, once you get further into your education.

Now, why do you think that is? This is easier for those with hedonistic tendencies to comprehend, as our mental development progresses, we gain the ability to discern things and to critically think, thus why they gives us the skeleton and then fill it up with meat, once we can critically think vs just accecpting items as 100% facts.