User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

You guys need to keep in mind this woman is from the Texas board of education. In Texas 90% of American History is really Texas History.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That's interesting. After I traveled outside of the U.S., I had a much greater appreciation for how great it is here.
    I don't mean that American is bad, I just mean that the way school taught people to think about America in school wasn't accurate.

For anyone to claim their country is 'greatest' seems laughable to me... It's not like there's an objective standard to measure against. *shrug* I guess I find patriotism annoying.

(not that any of this is the sole domain of America of course. I haven't had in depth experience of many countries, but New Zealand has its fair share of issues too )
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    For anyone to claim their country is 'greatest' seems laughable to me... It's not like there's an objective standard to measure against. *shrug* I guess I find patriotism annoying.
    Oh come on. The idea that America is the "greatest" is the best thing holding us together as a nation right now. Well, at least that's better than footy for the Nigerians, eh?

I remember before high school history classes only went up to Reconstruction and then stopped. It was like that every year. Then, in 9th grade, we went all the way up to the present, and we finally understood why. *twitch.*

Ever since then all Language Arts classes are about how terrible we are.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Based on your propensity toward antisemitic conspiracy theories, I'm not surprised....
    The way you throw that word out is stupid, the only reason people feel sympathy for them is the whole genocide shit from ww2. The Jews have been kicked out of a lot of countries throughout history and probably for a good reason, why don't you take a look at their real history instead of one little segment of it. I'm pretty sure you have no fkin clue you stupid ignorant stereotypical american.

It's a good thing that I didn't eat up the propaganda they try to feed you in school. That way when I find out the truth about history I can interpret it without a biased opinion that wasn't mine to begin with. The history as you know it is fkin propaganda, I bet you think George Washington cut down a cherry tree huh? moron...

and before anyone says anything about me being heartless about the genocide of the Jews, remember that they were not the only ones who were imprisoned during the war, Americans acted no better than the Germans because they in turn imprisoned the Japanese and MY native country was imprisoned by the Japanese! So if anything, I can relate to the Jews in this aspect more than most of you EVER can! So just shut your mouth before you make superficial judgments and REALLY know your shit before making an informed one.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    The Jews have been kicked out of a lot of countries throughout history and probably for a good reason...
    Judaism and Jews have been persecuted in the West because they were accused of being Deicides.

And Judaism and Jews have been persecuted in the Middle East because they are Dhimmis who refused to convert to Islam.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Many of our American "heroes" are anything but. And many of our "villains" are actually good people.

I agree with both your points, there are many bleak period of US history and indeed modern history....

hmmmm ....what were the so call weapons of mass distruction that were found as the cause of invading a country.....

McCarthy is just medievil, Hoover's regime wasn't exactly lilly white, vietnam, history of native americans is not exactly touted as glory days...

Basically US foriegn policy has always been some what ropey at best.... agressive pursuit of democracy is no different from the UK history of colonialisim.

Pretty much all countries have history that can be viewed in harsh light....

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

History was always one of my favorite subjects in school, but I remember feeling very disconnected from the stories. By high school, I had lost most interest. My interest was re-sparked after reading Lies My Teacher Told Me and A People's History of The United States.

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    History was always one of my favorite subjects in school, but I remember feeling very disconnected from the stories. By high school, I had lost most interest. My interest was re-sparked after reading Lies My Teacher Told Me and A People's History of The United States.
    We have had our history wars here. And they still seems to be continuing.

On the one hand we have the black armband view of history. And on the other the appreciation of our achievements.

I must say I prefer to hear two historical voices rather than one. Even though they tend to be in conflict.

And conflicting views produces not only heat but light as well. And we need the light to see.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

LOL. I could go into tirades about how over confidant america is and how indicative of it's problems this jingoistic woman is but there's a more important issue in my opinion.

History means nothing if it's not providing context. Sure it's nice to store all of that information (regardless of accuracy) but it really serves no purpose unless it all links together. By trying to rewrite history this is advocating shifting the understanding of the origins of pretty much everything and I'm not sure why some seem to think this is something new. How long has it been taught that the Vietnam war was either won or was a respectful draw? To most military minded people I know that's a ludicrous claim to say the least.

It's not more isolation and feeling special that america and americans need, more like they need challenging. To be given the space to actually be free, to make sure that the dumb and dangerous are tackled without resort to knee jerk, blanket "solutions" which usually end up creating as many problems as they solve. Take gun ownership... that's just silly in 99% of the cases...

America is not special, it's not revolutionary and it's most certainly not free. No where with that kind of intrusive presence where everyone with a badge suddenly tries to look like Arnie when he's in that "I'll be back face" even if they're just a librarian. It's just another buch of ESTJs who think that because they're thinking works in their paradigm it's the best thing since sliced bread. The isolationist attitude simply allows most people to remain comfortably blind.

Oh and if you're thinking I'm overly harsh and hate americans... one big reason that I dislike this attitude is that firstly when I was young I thought america was the bee's knees (boy was that a let down) and secondly I know several very intelligent americans. They're the one's who I both respect and find awkward as I keep hitting a wall of trained reflexes where there's all these supposed toos and "well that's what you do" responses. As a country of people who support "alternative" music in all varieties, oh boy do you need to wake up a bit.

Mind you, ignorance is bliss and I shouldn't really expect people to question when the answers are so easily available....
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Default The Kangaroo and the Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    America is... not revolutionary
    The Revolution of 1776 had reached into every corner of life. Even the very English spoken was revolutionised by the lexicographer Noah Webster.

And it is most important to realise it was a bourgeois revolution. It was not a proletarian revolution.

But once the bourgeoise had violently overthrown legitimate authority, they feared that they in turn could be just as easily overthrown by a proletarian revolution.

So ever since they have feared the Union movement. So they have neutered the Union movement and prevented it from forming a political party that might challenge the bourgeois ascendancy.

So they are insecure bourgeois revolutionaries.

And being bourgeois they are also mercantilists. And they are greatest mercantile empire the world has ever seen.

Fortunately this suits us as we now have a free trade agreement with them in order to further our own mercantile ambitions.

The kangaroo and the eagle are now eating at the same table.