User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

My high school was full of hippie teachers who bitched non stop about the horrors of American war machine. Vietnam rapes this, Hiroshima victims that.

I didn't hear any bad shit about Hanoi Hilton or Nanjing massacre, though.

There has to be a happy medium (i.e. "hey kids, bad shit happens during a war, that's why they call it war")
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    This.

It's about "being an exception", as in, a lot of other nations have tried to use methods that we've used but it hasn't really worked very well for them.
    I would argue that this is primarily because other countries have combined our institutions with other institutions that don't mesh well. For instance, Presidential systems combined with proportional representation (as in most of Latin America) are a recipe for disaster, leading to excessive Executive power. Even things such as staggered elections for the different branches of government serve a vital function (ensuring that the Executive cannot rely on having his or her own political coalition in control of the legislature). For whatever reasons (and these are heavily disputed), the United States is very often the most notable exception to any theory in the realm of comparative politics.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I'm all for a non-party or a multi-party system...The two-party system is next to useless.
    I'm not, multi-party systems effectively necessitate that the Executive and Legislature occupy the same branch of government, and that representatives are beholden to the party leadership at the expense of their own constituents. Yet another example of "American exceptionalism" is the degree to which representatives are accountable to the voters rather than party elites.

Edit: In case in wasn't obvious, I'm opposed to the institutions that would lead to a multi-party system. I'm not opposed to the existence of popular third-parties for their own sake, but presidential systems with single-member districts will usually lead to two-party systems absent very strong centrifugal (i.e. secessionist or cultural separatist) pressures.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 09-22-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: clarification

lol.....ok
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    lol.....ok
    So, yeah, that was my comparative government class.

I think the lesson from that class was, "Okay, kiddies, now you know never to discuss your political views with foreigners, because no matter what side of the aisle you're on, you'll still sound like an idiot" because politics are not supposed to work this way.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

for or against, that's all you can be. We'll forever debate within the boundaries of a left and right in this country and most will never realize that there's more than two sides to any given issue.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I would argue that this is primarily because other countries have combined our institutions with other institutions that don't mesh well. For instance, Presidential systems combined with proportional representation (as in most of Latin America) are a recipe for disaster, leading to excessive Executive power. Even things such as staggered elections for the different branches of government serve a vital function (ensuring that the Executive cannot rely on having his or her own political coalition in control of the legislature). For whatever reasons (and these are heavily disputed), the United States is very often the most notable exception to any theory in the realm of comparative politics.
    Lowtech is spot on - it's the combination of institutions that leads to such different consequences in Latin America versus the United States, along with historical, economic, societal risk factors, a legacy of military dictatorships...

I'll elaborate on the consequences though:
    The combination of proportional representation and presidential systems lead to multiple parties and a likely split in control of parliament/congress and the presidency by different parties. If the same party controlled both, passing policy is easy. This is rarely the case with this strange combination. This is not necessarily going to lead to exaggerated executive power but more likely to lead to deadlock like we saw in Bolivia this past summer with Morales' new election laws (esp the one regarding his own reelection - nice South American practice). The President and parliament just refusing to agree on things and bringing politics to a standstill leading potentially to the fall of the government.

Excessive use of executive power is a problem in these presidential systems but its a problem because of some qualities inherent to presidential system that are uniquely dealt with in the United States. First, there is a LOT of power in a single executive position - this could easily be misused by the person in that position, to issue executive decrees, benefit their party, stay on in power etc etc...which we don't see done quite as easily in parliamentary systems. This is dealt with a basic respect for separation of powers in the United States which is not necessarily the case in other countries. Take Chavez's slow taking over of institutions in Venezuela. We've seen that before in other countries in the region. Secondly, fixed terms as the President, once elected is quite difficult to remove besides impeachment which rarely takes place. Parliamentary systems have the vote of confidence. These are all problems that are worsened in new democracies where these institutions don't necessarily provide incentives to cooperate and everyone is not yet fully invested in the institutions themselves but trying to get the biggest piece of the pie possible for themselves.

I feel like I should put up my own post before someone else does

Lowtech and Hazard - thanks for bringing up this subject. Makes me

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

THE USAs most GUARDED and PAINFUL secret that it never teaches its own citizens-->

the USA is responsible for WWII in MANY more ways than the US wants you to know:

1. Eugenics was pioneered in the USA.
    2. California forcefully sterlized THOUSANDS
    3. eventaully 25+ states had forced sterilization laws based on "racial hygiene"
    4. Everyone from Stanford Deans to researchers at Cold Spring Harbor (that really famous science place!) all praised eugenics. Highschool and college textbooks with names like "racial hygiene" or "intro to eugenics" were taught at IVY LEAGUES!!!
    5. The US supreme court found it legal to forcefully sterilize someone deemed to have "feeble minded heredity".
    6. Hitler STUDIED California and Virginia's sterilization laws, and was INSPIRED because it proved to him that it could be done on a large scale.
    7. It was not a fringe group. it was an unholy alliance between conservatives, liberals, traditionalists, progressives, elitists etc
    8. even county fairs would hold contests where they judged babies/families based on psudo science of eugenics (who was "fit"). they wrongly applied mendelian genetics to polygenic human traits.
    9. Rockefeller/Carnegie foundations/funds/banks directly funded MULTIPLE institutions in Germany that ultimately trained the top 4 Doctors who "legitimized" the Aryan race concept to the German people, by making it sound scientific (ie eugenics).

The USA legitimized Eugenics over 1900 to 1935. Hitler was only able to get the people on board with his "racial hygiene" by framing his ideas to be backed by science (eugenics). The USA bankrolled a lot of this "idea spreading". The USA NEVER teaches anyone this in highschool. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    THE USAs most GUARDED and PAINFUL secret that it never teaches its own citizens-->

the USA is responsible for WWII in MANY more ways than the US wants you to know:

3. eventaully 25+ states had forced sterilization laws based on "racial hygiene"
    4. Everyone from Stanford Deans to researchers at Cold Spring Harbor (that really famous science place!) all praised eugenics. Highschool and college textbooks with names like "racial hygiene" or "intro to eugenics" were taught at IVY LEAGUES!!!
    5. The US supreme court found it legal to forcefully sterilize someone deemed to have "feeble minded heredity".
    6. Hitler STUDIED California and Virginia's sterilization laws, and was INSPIRED because it proved to him that it could be done on a large scale.
    7. It was not a fringe group. it was an unholy alliance between conservatives, liberals, traditionalists, progressives, elitists etc
    8. even county fairs would hold contests where they judged babies/families based on psudo science of eugenics (who was "fit"). they wrongly applied mendelian genetics to polygenic human traits.
    9. Rockefeller/Carnegie foundations/funds/banks directly funded MULTIPLE institutions in Germany that ultimately trained the top 4 Doctors who "legitimized" the Aryan race concept to the German people, by making it sound scientific (ie eugenics).

The USA legitimized Eugenics over 1900 to 1935. Hitler was only able to get the people on board with his "racial hygiene" by framing his ideas to be backed by science (eugenics). The USA bankrolled a lot of this "idea spreading". The USA NEVER teaches anyone this in highschool. Why?
    And just as Eugenics was pioneered in the USA, so was MBTI.

And just as the history of Eugenics is not taught in High School, the history of MBTI is not taught here.

But most interestingly when the the history of MBTI is mentioned here, it is not heard.

And in particular, MBTI was written to complement Eugenics.

And while Eugenics is associated with the losing side of WW II, MBTI has become a world wide cult used by the military and business, but not Universities.

And also it has been forgotten that the Father of MBTI, Carl Jung, was an anti-semite who freely and enthusiastically supported the wrong side in WW II. And is has been conveniently forgotten that Carl Jung was a misogynist who sexually abused his female patients.

So it would be fair to say that Eugenics still lives today but in another guise.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post

The same reason why Sweden has only recently come clean about their forced sterilizations. It is politically embarrassing. Also, the U.S. likes the Progressive Era to sound like a triumph of sober, middle-class good judgment over the previous "Gilded Age." It's not so easy to paint that picture when many of the Progressives were racist, xenophobic extremists.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"