User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    This is a huge generalization. As you say, human psychology isn't that simple. Perverted people seek positions of authority--it doesn't mean that this isn't one hypothetical example, and I think that your analysis is accurate for some individuals, but (a) they don't just let anyone enter the priesthood and (b) you can get married if it's important to you, and then become a priest. No one is demanding that these individuals choose this lifestyle, people choose it voluntarily because it's important to them.
    I'm with you on that... it's not merely twarted sexuality, people with perversion have poor mental/psycological health not just people going with out it.... A fair few preists are not all that celebrate.

I don't think the bolded bit is actually true within catholisisim.

It takes 7 years to study to become a catholic preist and they can bail out at any time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I'm with you on that... it's not merely twarted sexuality, people with perversion have poor mental/psycological health not just people going with out it.... A fair few preists are not all that celebrate.

I don't think the bolded bit is actually true within catholisisim.

It takes 7 years to study to become a catholic preist and they can bail out at any time.
    It's true when you take it with the second half of the sentence,
    and then become a priest.
    They don't exclude already married people, they just don't let them get married once they sign on.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP

It's true when you take it with the second half of the sentence, They don't exclude already married people, they just don't let them get married once they sign on.
    Yes I beleive they do unless they have no dependants at all.... at least as far as I am aware... has it changed?

And sorry I meant to highlight the whole sentence.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Yes I beleive they do unless they have no dependants at all.... at least as far as I am aware... has it changed?

And sorry I meant to highlight the whole sentence.
    oh--maybe i am misinformed then. i'm not catholic. i know a priest who is married, though he has no kids.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Sniffles

Well I guess you must've got bored with posting thread after thread about gay rights. :rolli:

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    It just seems to happen far more than just a small percentage when it concerns flds, jehovah's witnesses, and catholics.
    There's actually higher rates of pedophiles within public schools than churches.

As to why pedophiles tend to drawn to the priesthood, I addressed that in an another thread:
    It should also be noted why pedophiles often are drawn to the priesthood. I actually watched one documentary about this and they interviewed a convicted pedophile priest why he decided to join the priesthood. He talked about his personal struggles with his tendencies and felt deeply that a life devoted to God and high ideals would help him overcome it. Of course, we're all human and we all have spiritual laspes. That's why the Church provides the sacrament of reconcilliation, so people can once again unite themselves with God. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If we take this view, then it changes the picture. Pedophiles are not monstors, they're humans like anybody else. This basic fact is lost in much of the media sensationalism on this issue. Catholicism doesn't think that way.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post227460

MBTI
    ENTP

oh--maybe i am misinformed then. i'm not catholic. i know a priest who is married, though he has no kids.
    I haven't practiced in eons, I don't beleive it has changed. My Bro was a preist who left to get married.... the scandal that caused was unbeleivable.

I think it is about zero dependants, it may be that your friend moved over from the anglican church or along those lines, which I beleive is allowable - strangley enough....

On the whole it doens't happen. Many preists ahve a huge mother complex....

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    You speak of "these maggots" as if they're somehow unusual or not commonplace.
    By most estimates, they're not actually.

I suspect that many of these violators are not even pedophiles in the first place, but rather find themselves with no outlet for their sexual desires except children because of the Catholic church's ludicrous rules involving priests and celibacy.
    No, as I mentioned above, the testimony of many of these pedophiles actually points to the opposite. They're struggling with their pedophile tendencies and seek a religious way of life in order to help overcome them.

If the Catholic church would just drop the archaic bullshit about priests not being able to marry or have families, a lot fewer of them would feel the need to take out their sexual frustrations/massive guilt complexes for even HAVING sexual feelings in the first place on young children.

Isn't it obvious by now?
    No it isn't, since there's actually more incidents of pedophile activity within not only public schools but even churches that do allow for married priests.

Sniffles

They don't exclude already married people, they just don't let them get married once they sign on.
    Depends. This is especially true with the Eastern-rites, as long as the priest remains below the rank of Bishop. And I've also heard that married Anglican priests who join the church can remain married.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    There was a recent explosion about this in Ireland when a commission found systemic institutional abuse, primarily of boys over some 60 years that was studied for the last 9. Before it broke I had long heard stories about it from an Irish friend who said it was common.

Here's an article about it: BBC NEWS | Europe | Irish church knew abuse 'endemic'
    Yes, it was institutional. And it included the Roman Catholic Church and the Government of Ireland working together to abuse children over a long period of time.

It is an enormous betrayal of trust and of course it was covered up for a very, very long time.

And this betrayal of trust and the cover up were only possible by group bullying.

This is why we should come to understand group bullying. And a good place to start is, "Odd Girl Out - The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls", by Rachel Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No, as I mentioned above, the testimony of many of these pedophiles actually points to the opposite. They're struggling with their pedophile tendencies and seek a religious way of life in order to help overcome them.

No it isn't, since there's actually more incidents of pedophile activity within not only public schools but even churches that do allow for married priests.
    Yes, both of these things are true.

But there are two things that shock us with paedophile rings within the Roman Catholic clergy.

The first is the betrayal of trust and the second is the cover up. And the third, interestingly, is the theological implications.