User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 90

  1. #11
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    So you assume the worst and attack the burglar until you kill him?

    Some things to consider:
    1. If the burglar had a gun, the sword would have made a small difference. The person would have been dead regardless and be called foolhardy for going out and trying to confront an armed burglar.
    2. If the burglar did not have a gun, four people could have pinned him down and waited for the police
    3. The person, if an experienced swordsman, could have injured him and not killed him.
    Yeah that's nice monday quarterbacking, but such situations often occur within mere seconds, and if the burglar did attack them - then the main issue at that point is to stop the attacker. Sure you can try to injure him, but that cannot be fully assured in such moments.

  2. #12
    triple nerd score poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    2,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    So you assume the worst and attack the burglar until you kill him?

    Some things to consider:
    1. If the burglar had a gun, the sword would have made a small difference. The person would have been dead regardless and be called foolhardy for going out and trying to confront an armed burglar.
    2. If the burglar did not have a gun, four people could have pinned him down and waited for the police
    3. The person, if an experienced swordsman, could have injured him and not killed him.
    All perfectly good points, but not something you'll likely be thinking about when a potentially dangerous person breaks into your house.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

  3. #13
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    I wonder whether the burgler was lunging at the guy trying to hurt him or if he was attempting to escape. If he was attempting to escape then surely the guy had no right to hurt him, let alone kill him.

    I dislike people taking the law into their own hands (pun unintended) especially when it results in death. I could understand it if he injured the guy but I'm not sure that killing him was necessary.

    I guess we will have to wait for more details.

  4. #14
    triple nerd score poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    2,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I wonder whether the burgler was lunging at the guy attempting to hurt him or if he was attempting to escape. If he was attempting to escape then surely the guy had no right to hurt him.
    Just out of curiosity, are you saying that if someone breaks into your house, they are acquitted of that crime by leaving? Because they would just leave, and it is quite possible that the police would not catch them.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

  5. #15
    Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Oh snap! I always wanted to take fencing...
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

    Read my Blog.

  6. #16
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you saying that if someone breaks into your house, they are acquitted of that crime by leaving? Because they would just leave, and it is quite possible that the police would not catch them.
    No, I meant it in legal terms. If the burgler was killed to prevent him from getting away rather than for self-protection purposes it would be illegal, right? It would be attacking someone purely because the burgled your house - perhaps not with the intention of killing him but there was use of a deadly weapon which means the intent to kill is implicit (ie. at least manslaughter).

    Again. More details are necessary before we know exactly what happened.

    *Sigh* I've watched far too many episodes of Law and Order. I should stop acting like I actually know about this stuff

  7. #17
    Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    834

    Default

    He shouldn't have killed the poor dude, but he shouldn't have been trespassing on someone's property.

    Flight or fight... I guess the swordsman fought... And Killed someone :o I guess no one would be bothering them for awhile.

    Anyway, personally speaking... from my own experiences when my house was robbed when my brother and I were still in the house... I am not bothered at all that he accidentally killed him. If that very same situation was going to happen to me again, you bet your sweet ass I would do the same.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

    Read my Blog.

  8. #18
    triple nerd score poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    2,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    No, I meant it in legal terms. If the burgler was killed to prevent him from getting away rather than for self-protection purposes it would be illegal, right? It would be attacking someone purely because the burgled your house - perhaps not with the intention of killing him but there was use of a deadly weapon which means the intent to kill is implicit (ie. manslaughter). If he was tackled and held down it would be different.

    Again. More details are necessary before we know exactly what happened.

    *Sigh* I watched far too many episodes of Law and Order. I should stop acting like I actually know about this stuff
    Yes, I see what you mean. However if the burglar lunged at the man in an attempt to escape (as per your post) then the man would surely have reason to suspect himself in danger, whether the burglar was openly brandishing a weapon at him. So, unless the burglar ran out the back door away from them, that point is simply moot.

    (Also I personally would prefer to let a burglar get away rather than kill him, but not if they were coming at me. At that point I'd be damned scared.)
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

  9. #19
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yeah that's nice monday quarterbacking, but such situations often occur within mere seconds, and if the burglar did attack them - then the main issue at that point is to stop the attacker. Sure you can try to injure him, but that cannot be fully assured in such moments.
    Yes, I imagine the police are also doing similar Monday morning quarterbacking in deciding whether to press criminal charges against the student (reported in the same CNN article).

    The broader point is about a citizen taking the law into their own hands. There is a reason we have the judicial system and laws governing punishment. Burglary is not one that is punishable by death, as terrifying as it may be for the victims. We don't yet have proof of the burglar being armed or having attacked the student. Until we have more information, there is no reason to clearly support the student.

  10. #20
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Yes, I imagine the police are also doing similar Monday morning quarterbacking in deciding whether to press criminal charges against the student (reported in the same CNN article).
    That is if they can establish probable cause; which I somewhat doubt they will. But what would I know, I only have a degree in Criminal Justice.

Similar Threads

  1. Six Oregon occupiers arrested, one person killed in confrontation with police
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 10:54 PM
  2. [SP] Any SP art students? Do you struggle with it?
    By SwimmerGal97 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2015, 04:49 AM
  3. Beauty Queen Kills Home Invader With Pink Gun
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 05:00 AM
  4. Bush apparently now OK with Mercury for Children
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 12:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO