User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default ACORN prostitution scandal

Has anyone seen the damning videos of acorn that have been shown on fox and the internet (no other news network, apparently) where ACORN employees are shown to be aiding in the development of child prostitution? I'm curious if something this interested hasn't been posted yet because:

1. It's not as interesting as water quality.

2. Nobody has heard it because nobody watches a form of media that isn't primarily democratic.

3. Nobody wants to talk about it because it's rather damning to the administration and such.

or 4. People don't care when an organizations shows a systematic problem of assisting (or being willing to assist) people in bringing in child sex slaves.

In any case, I'm benevolent enough to (perhaps wastefully) spend my time posting it for you.

ACORN Story Grows But Mainstream Media Refuse to Cover It - FOXNews.com

ACORN Story Grows But Mainstream Media Refuse to Cover It

This story has everything you could ever want – corruption, sleazy actions at tax-funded organizations, firings, government ties, sex, hookers. It is a network news director’s dream. Imagine the ratings. But almost no one is covering it.

* print
    * Email
    * Check recommend (46)

Decrease Font A A A Increase Font

Bruce Springsteen once wrote: “From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come).” I doubt he expected that story of love gone wrong would become ideal political commentary for the group known as ACORN.

The small scandal showing an embarrassing video of Baltimore ACORN staffers looking like they were giving tax advice on how to set up a brothel, is now national news. -- This story has everything you could ever want – corruption, sleazy actions at tax-funded organizations, firings, government ties, sex, hookers. It is a network news director’s dream. Imagine the ratings!

Only almost no one is covering it.

This is the news media in the era of Van Jones and President Obama. The major outlets cover what they want and create the themes they want. When they find something inconvenient, they let it pass. They didn’t like the Van Jones story, so they ignored it. The network news media liked the financial entity known as Fannie Mae, so they ignored that scandalous organization for years. ACORN is getting the same treatment.

But it isn’t working any more. The ACORN fiasco has now impacted three offices – Baltimore, Washington and New York – with laugh-out-loud videos reminiscent of the hookers and pimps from the 1970s “Starsky and Hutch” show. Huggy Bear returns! Four employees have been fired, with more likely to come. And the controversy was so laughably bad that the Census Bureau cut off all ties to the group known formally as the "Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now." -- They called it the “tipping point” to shed themselves of ACORN. More nuts for someone else, I guess.

And yet. And yet it’s still been ignored by the network news. Nothing on ABC, CBS or NBC. The only thing any one of the three broadcast networks has done appeared in a blog post by ABC’s Jake Tapper. It's hardly worth noting except to show that the networks know about what’s going on. They just don’t care to report it. Only FOX News has bothered to report on the controversy.

The video scandal is only part of the fiasco that is this Saul Alinsky-esque community group. Just last week CNN reported that other ACORN employees were arrested in Florida. “Arrest warrants were issued Wednesday for 11 Florida voter registration workers who are suspected of submitting false information on hundreds of voter registration cards, according to court documents,” said CNN.

That’s typical. The Web site "Rotten ACORN" is devoted to election fraud complaints against the organization. The site’s map shows 14 different states where complaints have been filed. The last time any one of the broadcast networks talked about that was before the 2008 presidential election. That was NBC on Nov. 1. Nothing since.

Yes, the newspapers have taken a passing glance at the video story. The Post wrote about the firings in D.C. The New York Times ran a story by the Associated Press. Nothing more. I am underwhelmed. At least the Times covered it this time. With Jones, the Times waited until he had resigned to report he was under fire.

What’s worse with ACORN is that we’re paying for all this. At least in part. The Washington Examiner writes that they “found that ACORN has received at least $53 million in federal money since 1994.”

For its own part, ACORN naturally blamed someone else. In this case, FOX News, calling itself “their Willy Horton for 2009.” The ACORN state reads like a paranoid’s interpretation of the videos. Here’s Bertha Lewis, Chief Organizer, for the group:

“The relentless attacks on ACORN's members, its staff and the policies and positions we promote are unprecedented. An international entertainment conglomerate, disguising itself as a ‘news’ agency (FOX), has expended millions, if not tens of millions of dollars, in their attempt to destroy the largest community organization of Black, Latino, poor and working families in the country. It is not coincidence that the most recent attacks have been launched just when health care reform is gaining traction. It is clear they've had these tapes for months.”

Yeah, all that about under-aged prostitution, corruption and government connections isn’t news. People are just out to get ACORN. No wonder their name symbolizes a kind of nut. Too bad the rest of the media don’t want us to know that.

Dan Gainor is The Boone Pickens Fellow and the Media Research Center’s Vice President for Business and Culture. His column appears each week on The FOX Forum and he can be seen on FOXNews.com’s “Strategy Room.”
    [YOUTUBE="ZvcZZf4OtYI"]ACORN[/YOUTUBE]

And you can find all the other vids on youtube if you just hate the person above. In any case, ACORN has so far fired 4 people, two each of their employees shown in the first two videos released, and likely 3 more from a more recent video. Congress has voted to stop funding ACORN. The CENSUS bureau has stated they are going to ban acorn from helping with the census. This is real shit. I just wish I were posting threads about these people the whole time so I could point to myself and say "I'm right" once again. Yea, I'm that arrogant, but I'm putting forth the effort to post this because the whole thing disgusts me between what is really going on and how nobody in the media wants to tell people the truth because it hurts their agenda.
    Last edited by Risen; 09-15-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: fixed title typo

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

ACORN to Sue Fox News, Senate Blocks Funding, DA Investigates - Gothamist

The right-wing smear campaign against community organizing group ACORN is having the desired effect; yesterday the Senate voted 83-7 to deny housing and community grant funding to the non-profit organization. The vote—prompted by last week's arrest of ACORN employees in Florida accused of falsifying hundreds of voter applications last year—came as an unflattering secret camera video shot in ACORN's Brooklyn office surfaced. The video shows two ACORN employees advising a young couple, posing as prostitute and pimp, how to falsify documents to get a mortgage and tax breaks for a brothel housing El Salvadoran teens.

Yesterday's vote caused the first split between Senator Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, with the former voting to block funding, and the latter backing ACORN. Gillibrand's office released a statement calling the actions of certain ACORN employees "reprehensible" but added, "The truth remains that thousands of New York families who are facing foreclosure depend on charitable organizations like ACORN for assistance." Other politicians piled on ACORN at the local level; Democratic State Senator Bill Perkins of Harlem now wants to reverse a $10,000 grant he awarded to ACORN's New York sponsor, the New York Agency for Community Affairs. And the Brooklyn DA is conducting an investigation.

In her previous statement, ACORN chief organizer Bertha Lewis would not defend the employees in the video, but insists that the videos "are doctored, edited, and in no way the result of the fabricated story being portrayed by conservative activist ‘filmmaker’ [James] O’Keefe and his partner in crime. And, in fact, a crime it was—our lawyers believe a felony—and we will be taking legal action against Fox and their co-conspirators." A lawyer for ACORN tells Politico that previous hidden-camera videos shot by O'Keefe in ACORN's offices in Maryland and the District of Columbia were illegal because undercover filming is prohibited. The group intends to sue Fox News and BigGovernment.com, which aired clips of the videos.

BigGovernment.com, which launched last Wednesday, is a project of Andrew Breitbart, the founder of Breitbart.com. To its credit, the new website also makes room for a "Counterpoint" column from Laurie Essig. She's a Sociology professer at Middlebury, so you won't be too shocked at her take on this whole thing:

In the "gee, I made this not very smart person look really stupid" genre of film making—the sort of "ask stupid questions and play ridiculous characters and edit to make funny" made most famous by Sacha Baron Cohen—comes "Baltimore Acorn Workers support prostitution."... According to the news stories, the video may show two (Black and seemingly not terribly educated) Acorn employees trying to help two (white and seemingly educated) young people figure out how to start a brothel with girls from El Salvador (who, not coincidentally, are here illegally). Within this fantasy is every fear and desire of the far right: evil Black women activists, poor people, illegal immigrants, and sex.

As for Hannah Giles, the "stupid" "whore" in the video, she righteously explains, "I saw the ACORN Housing location in Baltimore as a target — the den of a giant corrupt lion. We wanted to get a reaction and gauge the corruption. We came armed with the things necessary to cause a reaction; we came equipped with the things necessary to capture the reaction. We expected to be successful." Low five!
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

Sniffles

It's all a GOP conspiracy I tell you!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

FOX had nothing to do with funding the two people who went and did the videos, the GOP had nothing to do with it. You guys are forming a conspiracy theory every single time something like this breaks, and you're all looking like a bunch of ignorant ass holes trying to plug up your own shit with a crack pipe and a tin foil hat. None of it was staged or a smear. It was a trap attempt, assuredly, but when they keep falling into the traps 5 and more times in a row, and everyone is forced to react to it as a real problem (ACORN has so far fired 4 people, two each of their employees shown in the first two videos released, and likely 3 more from a more recent video. Congress has voted to stop funding ACORN. The CENSUS bureau has stated they are going to ban acorn from helping with the census), it's not a smear or any some such fabrication. It's a real, systemic problem in the organization, and a sickening one at that.

Sniffles

I was being sarcastic Risen.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I was being sarcastic.
    Oh I know you were, I was more addressing Decline's article.

Sniffles

Oh well in that case, can't forget the usual references to racism; I mean why else would you criticise a Black president. :rolli:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Oh well in that case, can't forget the usual references to racism; I mean why else would you criticise a Black president. :rolli:
    I remember blowing up on somebody in another thread some time back for the whole 'flinging around racism claims like monkey feces' issue that seemed to be springing up on the forum at the time. I wish somebody would...

Sniffles

I assume you heard Garofalo's remarks on that score.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I assume you heard Garofalo's remarks on that score.
    Actually, I haven't *checks google*.