User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    2. Nobody has heard it because nobody watches a form of media that isn't primarily democratic.
    I saw it on John Stewart.

The problem of condoning illegal activity and the exploitation of children should be addressed. The woman in caught on tape is jaded beyond the point of any moral sense. It's not impossible she survived for a while using prostitution herself and has been exploited to the point that it appears normal and simply a part of anyone's life.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

"The bailout was "buried?" Are you serious? I just posted a link to the 9/12 protests and half the signs have "No Bailouts" on them. That was a gigantic news story and everyone knows about them. I (along with many others) were posting on this site about how terrible TARP and the auto bailouts were when they were first proposed. I honestly do not see what you are getting at here."

Yeah the invisible ongoing story on Faux news...its all over the 9/12 protest link...half a trillion compared to what...hmm....and at least with ACORN there are some verifiable good deeds done for the poor not some endless sinkhole with huge benefits for CEOs of failing corporations....regardless....wood for the trees...tunnel vision...people seeing what they want to see or not see...follow the demagoguery...the house is burning but your complaining the breakfast toast is overdone…now why has this specific story gotten your attention?...yeah, ahem...You honestly don't see what I am getting at hear?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    "The bailout was "buried?" Are you serious? I just posted a link to the 9/12 protests and half the signs have "No Bailouts" on them. That was a gigantic news story and everyone knows about them. I (along with many others) were posting on this site about how terrible TARP and the auto bailouts were when they were first proposed. I honestly do not see what you are getting at here."

Yeah the invisible ongoing story on Faux news...its all over the 9/12 protest link...half a trillion compared to what...hmm....and at least with ACORN there are some verifiable good deeds done for the poor not some endless sinkhole with huge benefits for CEOs of failing corporations....regardless....wood for the trees...tunnel vision...people seeing what they want to see or not see...follow the demagoguery...the house is burning but your complaining the breakfast toast is overdone…now why has this specific story gotten your attention?...yeah, ahem...You honestly don't see what I am getting at hear?

Yes, I really don't see what you are getting at here. The bailouts were extensively covered in every major media outlet (and decried often on Fox News). So, I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Ok it appears that the consensus is you have no idea what I am talking about and I don't understand your disproportional concern about a matter that is tailored to address the emotional knee jerk reaction of the uneducated and with minimal significance of the overall economic or social implications beyond the political gamesmanship to preserve factions within the status quo.(i.e. of all the trillions of dollars our tax dollars are spent, the relativly minimal on the funds set aside for ACORN which have already been decided to be cut/altered because by congress, puts a bee in your bonnet)

Maybe after a little time passes the realization of what each other opinions are will become more apparent. For right now I prefer to other trivial aspects of life which I find more entertaining.

Cheers

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Ok it appears that the consensus is you have no idea what I am talking about and I don't understand your disproportional concern about a matter that is tailored to address the emotional knee jerk reaction of the uneducated and with minimal significance of the overall economic or social implications beyond the political gamesmanship to preserve factions within the status quo.(i.e. of all the trillions of dollars our tax dollars are spent, the relativly minimal on the funds set aside for ACORN which have already been decided to be cut/altered because by congress, puts a bee in your bonnet)

Maybe after a little time passes the realization of what each other opinions are will become more apparent. For right now I prefer to other trivial aspects of life which I find more entertaining.

Cheers
    You clearly haven't read many of my posts, because you do not know anything about my position.

MBTI
    intp

Verrrry nice. Who needs soap operas?
    ACORN sues
    ACORN and two former employees of its Baltimore office filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit Wednesday against the makers of a hidden-camera video that showed the employees giving tax advice to a man posing as a pimp and a woman posing as a prostitute.

The liberal activist group contends that the audio portion of the video was obtained illegally because Maryland law requires the consent of both parties to record private conversations.

The employees seen in the video, Tonja Thompson and Shera Williams, were fired after it was posted online. Thompson and Williams are plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which says they suffered "extreme emotional distress with attendant physical symptoms and injury to their reputations."

The lawsuit names James O'Keefe III and Hannah Giles, who played the pimp and prostitute in the video, as defendants. It also names conservative columnist and blogger Andrew Breitbart of Los Angeles, who posted it on his Web site, biggovernment.com.

Brietbart said he would respond with his lawyer to a request for comment. O'Keefe and Giles could not immediately be reached. Asked by Fox News earlier this month about the possibility of a lawsuit, O'Keefe said, "Bring it on."

"It's not in their interest to attack me and Hannah," O'Keefe told Fox News. "If they want to equate sex trafficking of young girls with videotaping someone without their consent, that's their moral prerogative, but that just shows you how low they are."

In the video, the pair claimed they planned to employ teenage girls from El Salvador as prostitutes, and one of the ACORN employees suggested that up to three of the girls could be claimed as dependents.

O'Keefe and Giles made similar videos at ACORN offices in Washington, New York and San Diego, but the lawsuit, filed in Baltimore Circuit Court, involves only the Baltimore recording.

The lawsuit claims the video damaged ACORN's reputation and asks for injunctions barring its further broadcast or distribution. It seeks $2 million in compensatory damages — $1 million for ACORN and $500,000 for each of the two former employees — as well as $1 million in punitive damages from each of the three defendants.

Andrew D. Freeman — an attorney for ACORN, Thompson and Williams — said the former employees did not wish to comment but that the emotional distress claim "is not an exaggeration."

"They're doing their best not to watch television. They've sort of been prisoners in their own homes," Freeman said. "While everyone, including them, agrees that some of the things they said were dumb, in Maryland we have a right to say dumb things in the privacy of our homes and offices without fear of being taped and without fear of being splashed all over the Internet."

Maryland's wiretap law is sometimes called the "Linda Tripp law." Tripp, a Maryland resident at the time, was indicted, but not prosecuted, for secretly recording telephone conversations with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky in which they discussed Lewinsky's affair with former president Bill Clinton.

ACORN — which stands for the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now — bills itself as the nation's largest advocacy group for the poor. It started in 1970 in Arkansas and is now a a national, multimillion-dollar conglomerate.

The videos sparked outrage on Capitol Hill, where the House and Senate voted last week in separate bills to deny federal funds to ACORN. Maryland does not fund the group.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe
    Equivocation
    This could have been material for a modern Alan Funt; a more sophisticated production of Jackass. A prostitute and pimp asking for startup capital? Imagine bank employees blanching when they hear the proposition, then stammering as they politely explain to these customers that their institution doesn't abet illegal activities, while trying to flag down the nearest manager to call the police.

That is the expectation, because most people have very little experience with lawbreaking, let alone human trafficking. But titled ACORN employees in at least three offices were both receptive to and familiar with shuttling kids into the sex trade. To someone who is not a criminal or an apologist, it's unthinkable -- unless, of course, the institution is corrupt.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    This could have been material for a modern Alan Funt; a more sophisticated production of Jackass. A prostitute and pimp asking for startup capital? Imagine bank employees blanching when they hear the proposition, then stammering as they politely explain to these customers that their institution doesn't abet illegal activities, while trying to flag down the nearest manager to call the police.

That is the expectation, because most people have very little experience with lawbreaking, let alone human trafficking. But titled ACORN employees in at least three offices were both receptive to and familiar with shuttling kids into the sex trade. To someone who is not a criminal or an apologist, it's unthinkable -- unless, of course, the institution is corrupt.

I can't help but get the feeling from some that if ACORN were a profit-making enterprise, they'd be FAR more up in arms.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I can't help but get the feeling from some that if ACORN were a profit-making enterprise, they'd be FAR more up in arms.
    It's not a feeling! It's an accurate read on coverage priorities for networks and newspapers.

I count just over 100 ACORN offices nationwide.

Meanwhile, there are more than 13,380 McDonald's restaurants in the United States.

Imagine if, say, Morgan Spurlock released videos from visits to half a dozen McDonald's outlets in which employees on break were asked about prime neighborhood spots to deal dope, and each obliged. Prosecutions, Congressional hearings, fines, histrionic Time and Newsweek covers, a dedicated segment on Oprah.