User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Did ACORN get too big for its own good? - Yahoo! News

The more I read about ACORN, the more it makes me feel that it really should disappear.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

It is disgusting, but altogether not too unexpected. We've known ACORN was bad for a long time.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

"Republicans are using ACORN to portray Democrats as corrupt and distract Obama from his policy agenda..." (from linked yahoo article)

I find this aspect more unsettling. This is much more superfluous than Halliburton ever was in its manipulation of government via Dick Cheney. The manipulation. There is something in most U.S. courts where evidence is thrown out if prejudicial value of evidence outweighs the probative value. The media and the politicians not only hold the prejudicial out to the public to distract/justify their agendas, they amplify it then distort it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    "Republicans are using ACORN to portray Democrats as corrupt and distract Obama from his policy agenda..." (from linked yahoo article)

I find this aspect more unsettling. This is much more superfluous than Halliburton ever was in its manipulation of government via Dick Cheney. The manipulation. There is something in most U.S. courts where evidence is thrown out if prejudicial value of evidence outweighs the probative value. The media and the politicians not only hold the prejudicial out to the public to distract/justify their agendas, they amplify it then distort it.

What?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What?

Jules: [Jules shoots the man on the couch] I'm sorry, did I break your concentration? I didn't mean to do that. Please, continue, you were saying something about best intentions. What's the matter? Oh, you were finished! Well, allow me to retort. What does Marsellus Wallace look like?
    Brett: What?
    Jules: What country are you from?
    Brett: What? What? Wh - ?
    Jules: "What" ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?
    Jules: English, motherfucker, do you speak it?
    Brett: Yes! Yes!
    Jules: Then you know what I'm sayin'!
    Brett: Yes!
    Jules: Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!
    Jules: Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Jules: [Jules shoots the man on the couch] I'm sorry, did I break your concentration? I didn't mean to do that. Please, continue, you were saying something about best intentions. What's the matter? Oh, you were finished! Well, allow me to retort. What does Marsellus Wallace look like?
    Jules: What country are you from?
    Brett: What? What? Wh - ?
    Jules: "What" ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?
    Jules: English, motherfucker, do you speak it?
    Brett: Yes! Yes!
    Jules: Then you know what I'm sayin'!
    Brett: Yes!
    Jules: Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!
    Jules: Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!

I've seen that movie. I meant, "what are you trying to say in this post?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

What I am trying to say is, as I noted in an earlier post that the emphasis on ACORN is a pretense.

That institutions getting government funds and pocketing them/wasting the funds/using the funds to pay politicians to get more funds is the systemic problem. The widespread problem however is not institutions using government funds to advise pimps how do their taxes and institute brothels.

To focus on this one institution which most people associate with Obama's because his presidential run campaign hired an ACORN affiliate for $800,000 to conduct a get-out-the-vote effort is more than suspect.

This was an association that occurred prior to his presidency and opposed to Halliburton appearance of impropriety with Bush/Cheney.

The story becomes a story not in itself but by the negative association it casts on Obama by the tone of the debate.

Such tactics as quoted in your hyperlink to a Yahoo news story regarding ACORN.

My issue is that those who have issue with Obama should come right out and say what their issue is an not use this creepy round about guilt by distant association tactic which, as the news story you cited, appears to be used.

In other word the prejudice is the guilt by association with a group because their affiliate’s pre inauguration business with Obama, the probative value is how the alleged actions of ACORN (besides the demagoguery it caused) affect how our government is being run today and whether more probative and newsworthy story’s are getting the relative degree of attention.

PS. No offense with the Pulp fiction quote I just love to segue in any Pulp Fiction quote into any post that I can.

MBTI
    ESFJ

What I am trying to say is, as I noted in an earlier post that the emphasis on ACORN is a pretense.
    How is the emphasis on ACORN a pretense when we are talking about an ACORN scandal?

That institutions getting government funds and pocketing them/wasting the funds/using the funds to pay politicians to get more funds is the systemic problem. The widespread problem however is not institutions using government funds to advise pimps how do their taxes and institute brothels.
    But ACORN does ALL of those things, and commits voter registration fraud to boot.

To focus on this one institution which most people associate with Obama's because his presidential run campaign hired an ACORN affiliate for $800,000 to conduct a get-out-the-vote effort is more than suspect.
    Not really. A) The fact that Obama's campaign team used ACORN SHOULD make him look bad; and B) Obama has represented ACORN in a lawsuit in the past. To his credit, though, Obama is recommending investigations into ACORN's activities.

This was an association that occurred prior to his presidency and opposed to Halliburton appearance of impropriety with Bush/Cheney.
    "What other people have done is worse" doesn't make this situation any less bad. That is a completely fallacious tactic.

The story becomes a story not in itself but by the negative association it casts on Obama by the tone of the debate.
    Says you. I don't care much about how this affects Obama. What I care about is that my tax money has been funding these assholes for years.

Such tactics as quoted in your hyperlink to a Yahoo news story regarding ACORN.

My issue is that those who have issue with Obama should come right out and say what their issue is an not use this creepy round about guilt by distant association tactic which, as the news story you cited, appears to be used.
    There are plenty of other reasons that Obama sucks that have nothing to do with ACORN.

In other word the prejudice is the guilt by association with a group because their affiliate’s pre inauguration business with Obama, the probative value is how the alleged actions of ACORN (besides the demagoguery it caused) affect how our government is being run today and whether more probative and newsworthy story’s are getting the relative degree of attention.

PS. No offense with the Pulp fiction quote I just love to segue in any Pulp Fiction quote into any post that I can.
    You must have a very flexible brain, because you are competing in high-level mental gymnastics. Are you honestly suggesting that this scandal should be a non-story because it could make Obama look bad, and it's not enough of his fault that he should get any dirt on him? This is a huge story and I think that it's great that a couple of kids younger than I am were able to break it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

No I have no trouble with dirt on Obama but I don't believe burying more important stories like the half a trillion dollar Wall Street bailout with essentially no accounting, a story that will not only implicate Obama but many others in power. This story by comparison would be less than a drop in a bucket.
    Nice dissecting but it doesn’t take "high-level mental gymnastics" to realize this is another one of those can't see the wood for the trees discussion.

MBTI
    ESFJ

No I have no trouble with dirt on Obama but I don't believe burying more important stories like the half a trillion dollar Wall Street bailout with essentially no accounting, a story that will not only implicate Obama but many others in power. This story by comparison would be less than a drop in a bucket.
    Nice dissecting but it doesn’t take "high-level mental gymnastics" to realize this is another one of those can't see the wood for the trees discussion.
    The bailout was "buried?" Are you serious? I just posted a link to the 9/12 protests and half the signs have "No Bailouts" on them. That was a gigantic news story and everyone knows about them. I (along with many others) were posting on this site about how terrible TARP and the auto bailouts were when they were first proposed. I honestly do not see what you are getting at here.