User Tag List

Default Identity Politics (restarted)

Identity politics is the politics du jour so for many it is still simply invisible.

Identity politics stirs strong inchoate feeling in us. And we don't have the experience or the time to process them so we act precipitately.

Rather than taking our time to understand this new global politics, we react to it emotionally. And worse, we act out.

But all of us are starting to be involved in the volatile politics of identity.

So we need cool heads to understand what we are doing.

And in understanding what we are doing, we can work together creatively and productively.

And if we get the politics right, most other things follow.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 09-14-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Thread restarted on topic.

Sniffles

Globalism and identity politics thrive off each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Globalism and identity politics thrive off each other.
    Yes, against expectations, globalisation has heightened our sense of identity.

And I would go further and say that we now need our global identity to meet one another in the global village.

And this is the global village. So it is vital we understand our global identity.

Prior to globalisation we identified ourselves within our civilization. And our identities were well known and reasonably fluid. But here we are plunged into the global village. And the first question they ask you is not what do you do, but who are you?

This is major change. When I go to parties here they still ask me, what do you do? But in the noosphere, on the internet, they want to know who am I.

Just look around you. This whole site is devoted to answering the question, who am I? We do test after test. We discuss them in minute detail. All to discover who am I.

Well the game's changed and we are now asking the question globally. So answers in terms of personality, personal answers, will seem more and more inadequate. And soon will sound ridiculous.

Right now we are in the global village. And the global village is changing us. And we need to know how it is changing us as we talk amongst ourselves.

And everyone can hear.

Default Seeing the book, and hearing the telephone

Yes, everyone can hear in the global village.

Why, just yesterday our High Court Judge, Justice Michael Kirby, told old people to get on to twitter and start expressing their views.

Justice Kirby said that old people and their views are often overlooked. And old people are not aggressive in putting their views forward. But now the world is changing and all of us can express our views in soundbites on twitter.

But what is most interesting is that all literate people can see, but in the global village, we can all hear.

We can all hear one another, just like a village. And villages are designed to be built within sound of the human voice. So we can all hear how we feel until there is no more privacy, no more literate individuals reading their books alone. No, we will all share one feeling at the same time.

To the ear, everything happens all at once. While for the literate eye, everything happens sequentially at a distance.

And distance has been abolished by the ear.

You are listening to me all the way across the world.