123 Last

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Default Charles Darwin film controversy in the USA

Here's the article: Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' - Telegraph

In summary, the film inspired religious outrage due to the fact that the protagonist loses his faith in religion. Way to go, America?

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Hooray for the religious right! Making progress in America! Although it's better than sharia law I'll tell you that

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    Here's the article: Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America' - Telegraph

In summary, the film inspired religious outrage due to the fact that the protagonist loses his faith in religion. Way to go, America?

America as a whole isn't really to blame here. I am an entertainment industry guy, and the blame falls at the feet of industry bigwigs who are scared to death of challenging material. Also, the cynical side of me wonders how much of this "controversy" is the making of the filmmakers themselves. It's an easy way to increase interest in a film that probably had very little audience here before this. Remember the "record company won't release Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" story with Wilco? That turned out to be nonsense.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Default Identity

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post

There is so much to fascinate me about America, not least American identity.

For to be American and Christian is now an identity, in the same way being Indian and Hindu, or Chinese and Confucian, is an identity rather than a chosen belief.

I used to think that being American and Christian was a chosen belief, particularly for born-again Christians. But Americans now no longer choose, they are chosen by globalisation and given the mark of an identity - American and Christian.

This is reassuring to me as there had never been an civilization not based on a religion - and Western civilization is based on Christianity, just as Indian civilization is based on Hinduism and Chinese civilization is based on Confucianism. But alas, arabic Islam is not a civilization but only a political religion.

And as the world globalises we look back to the roots of our civilization to find stability.

The West, India and China are lucky for each of us has our own civilization in which to successfully ride the waves of globalization.

But not so arabic Islam as globalisation is drowning Islam. And what we are seeing is the dying struggles of a political religion. The continuing Islamic violence we see across the world is simply the struggle to breathe as globalisation floods in. And muslims have no civilization to keep them afloat. And so each wave of globalisation chokes in their throat. Water-boarding is the perfect symbol for what is happening to muslims every day - they feel they are drowning.

And the fact that Americans identify as American Christians is only natural in a globalising world that will be left with three poles of power - the Christian West, Hindu India and Confucian China.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Evolution is taught in every public school in America, to the best of my knowledge.

Maybe it's just because I've lived my whole life on the west coast, but I have a hard time believing that Americans would be outraged by such a film since there are documentaries on the same subject that appear on television.

Plus one to what Merc said.

And to people who don't live in the US but assume that it is quite religious, I'm afraid you might be a bit mistaken.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Evolution is taught in every public school in America, to the best of my knowledge.

Maybe it's just because I've lived my whole life on the west coast, but I have a hard time believing that Americans would be outraged by such a film since there are documentaries on the same subject that appear on television.

Plus one to what Merc said.

And to people who don't live in the US but assume that it is quite religious, I'm afraid you might be a bit mistaken.

We are a pretty religious country, but it's not nearly as fundamentalist as people might believe.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I am afraid you are living too close to your own country to see it clearly - after all, you are standing in it.

It is simply an internal myth, an internal way of looking at yourselves, that says America is not religious.

From the outside it is plain America is part of Western Civilization and Western Civilization is based on Christianity.

Of course from the inside you see how many people go to Church and how many are pious and how many profess Christianity. But this is simply myopic.

But globalization is correcting our vision. And no matter what any particular American may profess, globalization has given you an identity. And that identity is American and Christian.

And in exactly the same way globalization has given Indians an identity as Indian and Hindu, and given Chinese an identity as Chinese and Confucian.

Look poppy, you are not Chinese and Confucian, you are not Indian and Hindu, so there is only one identity left for you and me.

And just as globalization has given us our identity, it is taking away the identity of muslims.

And now we can see our global identity in contrast to the Muselmann.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Hmmm, I think they haven't picked it up yet because the movie is still getting mixed reviews (some of those being bad). I don't buy it at all. Especially since Religulous was released here. I honestly do not believe that it has to do with how "religious" this country is (even though Christianity has gone down by 12% in the past 10 years, while atheism is on the rise). I mean, yes the majority of the country is religious, but I'm sure everyone would watch the movie just because it's controversial.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Aww shit I don't belong here then, Victor.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We are a pretty religious country, but it's not nearly as fundamentalist as people might believe.
    C'mon, being religious is not synonymous with being fundamentalist.

This is simply an internal American way of looking at things.

I am inviting you to look at things from a global perspective.

And I am saying that seeing religion as a personal choice is merely an internal view, while from an outside perspective, you have already been given your identity.

And from here on in, in the global village, it is identity politics.