User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Aww shit I don't belong here then, Victor.
    'Course you do mate.

You are simply confused between your personal beliefs and your global identity.

And remember your global identity is your surfboard to ride the waves of globalisation.

Surf's up.

MBTI
    INTP

This stinks of sensationalism, I bet they can't find a distributor because the movies sucks, so they claim its controversial in order to get people to watch it.

Sniffles

Oh please.....we've had plenty of anti-religious films shown here in America. Like Bill Maher's Religulous.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    And to people who don't live in the US but assume that it is quite religious, I'm afraid you might be a bit mistaken.
    Yes and no. I often notice that the American version of religion is some vague sense of therapeutic pantheism or deism mixed up with references to Jesus and sometimes Buddha as well. All that in-between handling poisonous snakes while shouting "Hallelujah".

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    This stinks of sensationalism, I bet they can't find a distributor because the movies sucks, so they claim its controversial in order to get people to watch it.
    From the reviews, critics were complaining that it wasn't controversial enough. So yeah, I agree. The movie probably is shit. America only cares about one thing and that is $$$

ALSO statistically speaking, only 25% of Americans don't believe in evolution... So I think that entire argument is invalid.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    From the reviews, critics were complaining that it wasn't controversial enough. So yeah, I agree. The movie probably shit. America only cares about one thing and that is $$$
    This.

America has only one God and that God is green and papery.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    From the reviews, critics were complaining that it wasn't controversial enough. So yeah, I agree. The movie probably is shit. America only cares about one thing and that is $$$
    Don't be silly.

America cares about salvation and prosperity.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    America has only one God and that God is green and papery.
    C'mon, open your wallet and take out a dollar bill and on it you will find, "In God We Trust".

You are holding in your hand the genius of America - the marriage of religion and prosperity.

And by their fruits shall ye know them. For we have overcome scarcity for the first time in human history.

But alas our minds are conditioned to live in scarcity. And we haven't yet been able to get our minds around the fact that we are surrounded by plenty.

And so we act as though we are surrounded by scarcity.

We are, in a strict sense, neurotic.

Fortunately neurosis is eminently curable.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We are a pretty religious country, but it's not nearly as fundamentalist as people might believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes and no. I often notice that the American version of religion is some vague sense of therapeutic pantheism or deism mixed up with references to Jesus and sometimes Buddha as well. All that in-between handling poisonous snakes while shouting "Hallelujah".
    Yes, our identity is associated with it and there are many who are firmly religious, but most of the younger generation doesn't seem to buy into any of it. There is a distinctly anti-religion attitude that seems to be quite commonplace, at least where I come from. Essentially, I simply do not buy that we are as religion-driven as many seem to think we are (insert "our nation was founded on Judeo-Christian values" fine print, yatta yatta, as were many European countries that now have moved into a less religious culture).

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am afraid you are living too close to your own country to see it clearly - after all, you are standing in it.

It is simply an internal myth, an internal way of looking at yourselves, that says America is not religious.

From the outside it is plain America is part of Western Civilization and Western Civilization is based on Christianity.

Of course from the inside you see how many people go to Church and how many are pious and how many profess Christianity. But this is simply myopic.

But globalization is correcting our vision. And no matter what any particular American may profess, globalization has given you an identity. And that identity is American and Christian.

And in exactly the same way globalization has given Indians an identity as Indian and Hindu, and given Chinese an identity as Chinese and Confucian.

Look poppy, you are not Chinese and Confucian, you are not Indian and Hindu, so there is only one identity left for you and me.

And just as globalization has given us our identity, it is taking away the identity of muslims.

And now we can see our global identity in contrast to the Muselmann.
    The fact that non-Americans see us as religious has no impact on whether or not American companies will or will not pick up a movie with pro-evolution content. The fact that non-Americans think that we have a very strong religious identity doesn't mean much to me, frankly.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    C'mon, open your wallet and take out a dollar bill and on it you will find, "In God We Trust".

You are holding in your hand the genius of America - the marriage of religion and prosperity.

And by their fruits shall ye know them. For we have overcome scarcity for the first time in human history.

But alas our minds are conditioned to live in scarcity. And we haven't yet been able to get our minds around the fact that we are surrounded by plenty.

And so we act as though we are surrounded by scarcity.

We are, in a strict sense, neurotic.

Fortunately neurosis is eminently curable.
    You're obviously the neurotic one
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    The fact that non-Americans think that we have a very strong religious identity doesn't mean much to me, frankly.
    The fact is that whatever non-Americans think doesn't mean much to you.

Unfortunately for you this is a global site and is full of non-Americans.

And we do not take kindly to xenophobia.