User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Yes, so why not embrace our animal instincts?

And I don't think humans are social animals, but just band together due to our destructive nature. I'm not social at all. I'm independent.
    Humans are highly interactive with each other and to the point of having a distinct society, so by definition we are social animals. Choosing not to interact with the group and be independent just makes you an individualist. However, since you choose to live with society and enjoy the benefits of the society, there is an unspoken agreement that you have obligations to the society, and you will follow the laws set down by the society. Choosing to act on your animals instincts over those obligations is a breach of contract and society reserves the right to punish or expel you.

Of course, if you have any sense of spirituality, then you choose to act above your animal instincts because you believe in the eternal, personal integrity of your spirit. You follow ethical principles for the sake of preserving your humanity and not regressing back into an uncivilized beast.

MBTI
    INFP

I could be seen by many as holding very prejudice views and being a bigot, but my prejudice is against bigots themselves. Unfortunately I apply that prejudice through stereotyping, and personally I don't feel bad for doing so.

My prejudice relates to what I know through 31yrs of experience with this particular grouping of people, not only does the stereotype fit, but it fits like a glove.

I am a bigot when it comes to this grouping of people, because they themselves run on bigotry and hypocrisy, on prejudices so bad that they will murder for them.

I think that's pretty fair for me to be a bigot about them right back.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, so why not embrace our animal instincts?
    Elaborate... what are you picturing when you say this? You could mean anything from simply living alone, to going back to not learning and running around in loincloths.
    And I don't think humans are social animals, but just band together due to our destructive nature. I'm not social at all. I'm independent.
    Some humans like to band together. Whether it's really to destroy someone else or not doesn't matter to me. I like having my friends around to talk to, because it makes me feel more secure, and provides interesting conversation/thought, and that's all that matters to me.

Independence is okay for you, though. If you don't want people around, you can go and avoid them. No one else cares if you do.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    No one else cares if you do.
    I think that depends on whether he is just sticking to himself or sitting alone in a cabin in Montana plotting.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm going to jump in here to share something in response to the OP.

I once heard a rather hilarious but brilliant speach based around the statement:
    "I'm not a bigot; I hate everyone equally!"

The statement almost speaks for itself. The gist was that sometimes it is just as problematic to call someone a bigot as it is to be a bigot. In my opinion, the problem isn't 'bigotry' so much as the hatred which forms the core of the prejudice. Given the idea of a 'bigot' as someone who has unsubstantiated hatred for a certain group of individuals...if someone hates everyone equally, then is this person a bigot? The irony is that just because he or she is not a "bigot" doesn't mean that the problem of hatred has disappeared. So, it illustrates how often times people can be bigots about bigots and therein lies the humorous irony.

I think the key is to be able to express and explain your ideas about groups of people openly while still remaining respectful of individuals. The trouble only seems to arise when one group of people wishes to assert their will over another group. Unfortunately, human civilization seems to make this an inevitable result of many diverse cultural groups living in close proximity. *shrug* So it seems that, though we may never solve the problem of prejudice, bigotry, racism and sexism... we can at least fight it intelligently rather than setting ourselves up as the other side of the prejudice.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I say give racism a fighting chance.

MBTI
    OMNi

I say give racism a fighting chance.
    Says the young, white, straight, middle class man.

Admit it!

(That or you are playing one hella evil devil's advocate.)

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a nihilist, I think it's impossible to eliminate racism, sexism and other kinds of prejudice. Humans are social animals and like all social animals, they will congregate in groups. Congregation requires discrimination...we have to arrange our groups based on some critera. Color, gender and religious belief make for easy criteria to apply. I really think it's as simple as that.
    We should make a distinction between discrimination and prejudice. Discrimination is differentiating different types of people. Prejudice is discriminating someone on the basis of race, sex, etc.

It is natural to discriminate- not necessarily a sign of higher intelligence. When we notice reds in the sky as opposed to blues, that is discrimination. When we choose not to get into the elevator because it's making odd mechanical sounds- that is discrimination. When choosing which university to attend on the basis of their courses offered, that is discrimination.

However, not liking someone one has never interacted with on the basis of his race, sex, etc is prejudice.

Making things worse, humans are also violent by nature and will fight with those they don't congregate with. The argument that "we are intelligent enough to overcome our nature" sounds like a pipe dream to me. I think our hard-wiring is much more resilent than that. Every now and then, with effort, we can rise above our nature and do a noble thing. But most of the time we're stuck in the muck with everyone else.
    I disagree. Most people will do the noble thing as their primary instinct. However, they become conditioned to do the opposite.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Says the young, white, straight, middle class man.
    You got three of them right...I'm hardly middle class, though...but I don't live in an old pick-up truck.

I'm actually in favor of placing importance on the homeless, the poor, and the prison population. I think they can be of great value to humanity. They are of the class that should be subject to scientific experiments -- leave those poor rats alone!

Experimentation on people produces much more accurate results than experimentation on other animals.

MBTI
    INTP

You got three of them right...I'm hardly middle class, though...but I don't live in an old pick-up truck.

I'm actually in favor of placing importance on the homeless, the poor, and the prison population. I think they can be of great value to humanity. They are of the class that should be subject to scientific experiments -- leave those poor rats alone!

Experimentation on people produces much more accurate results than experimentation on other animals.
    Come out in the open.
    Do not hide.

Be brave.