User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 76

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    However, I think that survival is far more easy and established now and these mechanisms are of little or no use anymore.
    Don't be so sure.

    The fact that certain people exist makes me unhappy. The only antidote to that is to destroy them.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Don't be so sure.

    The fact that certain people exist makes me unhappy. The only antidote to that is to destroy them.
    Yours, or anybody's, personal happiness is not good enough reason for destruction of "certain people". It's merely a personal preference of yours.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    When all is said and done, education is for people who are too lazy and too stupid to think for themselves.
    Actually education teaches tolerance. Is it any wonder or coincidence that the highest numbers of prejudiced people tend to come from the uneducated groups of people who never attended college?

  4. #24
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    After reading all this I think I have to conclude that prejudice is the tool of the weak. It belongs to people who are too weak minded to have the patience to learn to understand and tolerate differences. Call it a mental shortcut, clan mentality, your God given right to generalize and discriminate, or whatever justification you think suits it. All it really amounts to is a truly sad sense of narrow mindedness which some weaker minded people use because they think they gain something by denying respect and compassion to their fellow human beings.

    It's an illusion of power and choice, a personal act of tyranny, and the only solution is to wean them from that illusion by giving them the sympathy, tolerance, and patience that they deny others. And that is how it is, because I can't help but feel sorry for intolerant people. They deny themselves, hurt themselves, so much because they give in to their fear. It's so incredibly sad, but I can tolerate their intolerance because I hold to that corny belief that truth always avails.

    Yay! Personal resolution!

  5. #25
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    Actually education teaches tolerance. Is it any wonder or coincidence that the highest numbers of prejudiced people tend to come from the uneducated groups of people who never attended college?
    How so? I've taken sociology, history, and world cultural geography in college, and all I can say is that I have become more critical about academia. I think it's simply a scientifically-biased viewpoint that makes as much and as little sense as religion.

    Statistics are irrelevant. They are a bias conceived in the scientific community. Science is the ultimate stereotyper. Through science, we have a study consisting of 5 or 6 individuals, even other animals, and that study is automatically linked to 6 billion people.

  6. #26
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,123

    Default

    actually I think you may be interpreting education a bit narrowly! I would consider experience to be education as well, and people can develop, or lose prejudices through experiences. I spent a few months a while back in a country that was NOT fond of Americans- I went about my life there, talking to people, hanging out with them, eating everything they forced me to and trying to learn as much about their culture as I could. In the end at least 20 people said that they decided that not all Americans can be evil, because for some strange reason they liked me!
    On the other hand people can learn prejudices through negative experiences with people who are different than them.
    I'm not saying that prejudice is a good thing, but it does seem to be human nature to have an ingroup/outgroup related attitude and fear that which is different than them.

  7. #27

    Default

    At the risk of sounding like a nihilist, I think it's impossible to eliminate racism, sexism and other kinds of prejudice. Humans are social animals and like all social animals, they will congregate in groups. Congregation requires discrimination...we have to arrange our groups based on some critera. Color, gender and religious belief make for easy criteria to apply. I really think it's as simple as that.

    Making things worse, humans are also violent by nature and will fight with those they don't congregate with. The argument that "we are intelligent enough to overcome our nature" sounds like a pipe dream to me. I think our hard-wiring is much more resilent than that. Every now and then, with effort, we can rise above our nature and do a noble thing. But most of the time we're stuck in the muck with everyone else.

  8. #28
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a nihilist, I think it's impossible to eliminate racism, sexism and other kinds of prejudice. Humans are social animals and like all social animals, they will congregate in groups. Congregation requires discrimination...we have to arrange our groups based on some critera. Color, gender and religious belief make for easy criteria to apply. I really think it's as simple as that.
    I agree with this part to some extent... sadly.

    Making things worse, humans are also violent by nature and will fight with those they don't congregate with. The argument that "we are intelligent enough to overcome our nature" sounds like a pipe dream to me.
    I don't agree with this, however. There may well be people I don't like/trust based on such criteria, but I would be civil to them, and not harm them unless they harmed me first.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a nihilist, I think it's impossible to eliminate racism, sexism and other kinds of prejudice. Humans are social animals and like all social animals, they will congregate in groups. Congregation requires discrimination...we have to arrange our groups based on some critera. Color, gender and religious belief make for easy criteria to apply. I really think it's as simple as that.

    Making things worse, humans are also violent by nature and will fight with those they don't congregate with. The argument that "we are intelligent enough to overcome our nature" sounds like a pipe dream to me. I think our hard-wiring is much more resilent than that. Every now and then, with effort, we can rise above our nature and do a noble thing. But most of the time we're stuck in the muck with everyone else.
    Yes, well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't agree with this, however. There may well be people I don't like/trust based on such criteria, but I would be civil to them, and not harm them unless they harmed me first.
    I think at some point it becomes complicated to figure out "who started it". Each party can claim they were harmed first in one way or another - morally or physically.

    I see your point that you would not attack others and seek to do no harm to them. I would like to think that we're all this way...

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a nihilist, I think it's impossible to eliminate racism, sexism and other kinds of prejudice. Humans are social animals and like all social animals, they will congregate in groups. Congregation requires discrimination...we have to arrange our groups based on some critera. Color, gender and religious belief make for easy criteria to apply. I really think it's as simple as that.

    Making things worse, humans are also violent by nature and will fight with those they don't congregate with. The argument that "we are intelligent enough to overcome our nature" sounds like a pipe dream to me. I think our hard-wiring is much more resilent than that. Every now and then, with effort, we can rise above our nature and do a noble thing. But most of the time we're stuck in the muck with everyone else.
    Yes, so why not embrace our animal instincts?

    And I don't think humans are social animals, but just band together due to our destructive nature. I'm not social at all. I'm independent.

Similar Threads

  1. Pride and Prejudice Character Types
    By celesul in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-23-2017, 02:01 AM
  2. Racism and MBTI
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 10:36 PM
  3. Nepotism, Classism, Racism and how family ties determine where we go in life
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 05:03 PM
  4. Globalisation and Internalised Racism?
    By The_World_As_Will in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM
  5. Avatar causing depression and inciting racism?
    By ProperDave in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO