Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    However, I think that survival is far more easy and established now and these mechanisms are of little or no use anymore.
    Don't be so sure.

The fact that certain people exist makes me unhappy. The only antidote to that is to destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Don't be so sure.

The fact that certain people exist makes me unhappy. The only antidote to that is to destroy them.
    Yours, or anybody's, personal happiness is not good enough reason for destruction of "certain people". It's merely a personal preference of yours.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    When all is said and done, education is for people who are too lazy and too stupid to think for themselves.
    Actually education teaches tolerance. Is it any wonder or coincidence that the highest numbers of prejudiced people tend to come from the uneducated groups of people who never attended college?

MBTI
    OMNi

After reading all this I think I have to conclude that prejudice is the tool of the weak. It belongs to people who are too weak minded to have the patience to learn to understand and tolerate differences. Call it a mental shortcut, clan mentality, your God given right to generalize and discriminate, or whatever justification you think suits it. All it really amounts to is a truly sad sense of narrow mindedness which some weaker minded people use because they think they gain something by denying respect and compassion to their fellow human beings.

It's an illusion of power and choice, a personal act of tyranny, and the only solution is to wean them from that illusion by giving them the sympathy, tolerance, and patience that they deny others. And that is how it is, because I can't help but feel sorry for intolerant people. They deny themselves, hurt themselves, so much because they give in to their fear. It's so incredibly sad, but I can tolerate their intolerance because I hold to that corny belief that truth always avails.

Yay! Personal resolution!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    Actually education teaches tolerance. Is it any wonder or coincidence that the highest numbers of prejudiced people tend to come from the uneducated groups of people who never attended college?
    How so? I've taken sociology, history, and world cultural geography in college, and all I can say is that I have become more critical about academia. I think it's simply a scientifically-biased viewpoint that makes as much and as little sense as religion.

Statistics are irrelevant. They are a bias conceived in the scientific community. Science is the ultimate stereotyper. Through science, we have a study consisting of 5 or 6 individuals, even other animals, and that study is automatically linked to 6 billion people.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

actually I think you may be interpreting education a bit narrowly! I would consider experience to be education as well, and people can develop, or lose prejudices through experiences. I spent a few months a while back in a country that was NOT fond of Americans- I went about my life there, talking to people, hanging out with them, eating everything they forced me to and trying to learn as much about their culture as I could. In the end at least 20 people said that they decided that not all Americans can be evil, because for some strange reason they liked me!
    On the other hand people can learn prejudices through negative experiences with people who are different than them.
    I'm not saying that prejudice is a good thing, but it does seem to be human nature to have an ingroup/outgroup related attitude and fear that which is different than them.

At the risk of sounding like a nihilist, I think it's impossible to eliminate racism, sexism and other kinds of prejudice. Humans are social animals and like all social animals, they will congregate in groups. Congregation requires discrimination...we have to arrange our groups based on some critera. Color, gender and religious belief make for easy criteria to apply. I really think it's as simple as that.

Making things worse, humans are also violent by nature and will fight with those they don't congregate with. The argument that "we are intelligent enough to overcome our nature" sounds like a pipe dream to me. I think our hard-wiring is much more resilent than that. Every now and then, with effort, we can rise above our nature and do a noble thing. But most of the time we're stuck in the muck with everyone else.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a nihilist, I think it's impossible to eliminate racism, sexism and other kinds of prejudice. Humans are social animals and like all social animals, they will congregate in groups. Congregation requires discrimination...we have to arrange our groups based on some critera. Color, gender and religious belief make for easy criteria to apply. I really think it's as simple as that.
    I agree with this part to some extent... sadly.

Making things worse, humans are also violent by nature and will fight with those they don't congregate with. The argument that "we are intelligent enough to overcome our nature" sounds like a pipe dream to me.
    I don't agree with this, however. There may well be people I don't like/trust based on such criteria, but I would be civil to them, and not harm them unless they harmed me first.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Making things worse, humans are also violent by nature and will fight with those they don't congregate with. The argument that "we are intelligent enough to overcome our nature" sounds like a pipe dream to me. I think our hard-wiring is much more resilent than that. Every now and then, with effort, we can rise above our nature and do a noble thing. But most of the time we're stuck in the muck with everyone else.
    Yes, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't agree with this, however. There may well be people I don't like/trust based on such criteria, but I would be civil to them, and not harm them unless they harmed me first.
    I think at some point it becomes complicated to figure out "who started it". Each party can claim they were harmed first in one way or another - morally or physically.

I see your point that you would not attack others and seek to do no harm to them. I would like to think that we're all this way...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Yes, so why not embrace our animal instincts?

And I don't think humans are social animals, but just band together due to our destructive nature. I'm not social at all. I'm independent.