User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Nuclear Energy

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Nuclear Energy

Why hasn't the option of expanding the use of nuclear energy become a hot contemporary topic? The technology is already there requiring no capital investment for R&D.

Nuclear energy appears at the moment to be our most logical alternative to fossil fuel power plants for generating grid electricity.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Go Gators!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I've always wondered this myself, however I'm not knowledgeable enough regarding the economics and mechanics of Nuclear Power to understand why it isn't a far more attractive or prevalent power source.

I have an inkling it is more politically motivated than anything else, however it might also have to do with a general public fear of the word "Nuclear."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I've always wondered this myself, however I'm not knowledgeable enough regarding the economics and mechanics of Nuclear Power to understand why it isn't a far more attractive or prevalent power source.

I have an inkling it is more politically motivated than anything else, however it might also have to do with a general public fear of the word "Nuclear."
    This is pretty much exactly what I feel is going on.

Here's an interesting article on nuclear power.
    Idaho Samizdat: Nuke Notes: Obama’s climate policy needs nuclear energy

MBTI
    ESFJ

Between negative public sentiment and very high capital costs of building a plant, there hasn't been a new nuclear power plant approved since the Three Mile Island incident, to the best of my knowledge. The safety regulation got very tight after that.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    This is pretty much exactly what I feel is going on.

Here's an interesting article on nuclear power.
    Idaho Samizdat: Nuke Notes: Obamas climate policy needs nuclear energy
    Way too many baby boomers in the progressive caucus to push nukes at this point. The opposition to nuclear energy was one of their key organizing principles back in those days. Any change is going to have to be incremental so as not to raise alarm. The Left was not pro-science for many decades, though that has significantly changed.

It doesn't help that many swing states tend to be heavy coal producers. Nevada's objections over Yucca Mountain has also (imo inappropriately) publicized waste storage and disposal while downplaying reprocessing (once again, due to environmentalist objections).

MBTI
    YaYa

It still generates spent fuel rods which we have no way of safely disposing of.

The mining for uranium can degrade its natural ambient environment.

It might be an option. But we have to recognize its costs also.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am no enemy of nuclear energy, but I am no fan either. The worst thing I see so far is that a nuclear power plant produces around 4 cin (50m) of radioactive waste per year, which is a dice of 14 feet (4m) per side. According to my numbers there are around 210 nuclear power plants working at the moment worldwide. So this makes up for 840 cin (10500 m) of radioactive waste per year.

I dont think, in the long run, its such a great idea..
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I am no enemy of nuclear energy, but I am no fan either. The worst thing I see so far is that a nuclear power plant produces around 4 cin (50m) of radioactive waste per year, which is a dice of 14 feet (4m) per side. According to my numbers there are around 210 nuclear power plants working at the moment worldwide. So this makes up for 840 cin (10500 m) of radioactive waste per year.

I dont think, in the long run, its such a great idea..
    Just chuck it on the next space shuttle mission. Why we don't use space or the moon as a giant garbage dump is beyond me.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Nuclear reactors do have some very major advantages... the vast majority of their energy is clean, and the nuclear emmissions from a properly running fission reactor is *LESS* than that of a COAL reactor. Yes, a nuclear reactor doesn't produce as much radiation as coal. Go figure.

The vast abundance of power capable, and that the contaminated water used in the process can be treated until it's safe to actually drink, are also rather useful benefits.

So whot're the downsides?

Well, the control rods are neutron magnets basically... and that means that they essentially suck up ALL the radioactivity... those things are highly dangerous, and letting them get free is not good in the slightest. Their containment is not really perfect, and ocne they're made, really the only thing yeu could honestly do with them is launch them into the sun or something, since that'd pretty much prevent them from making a mess. If we simply just made a gauss riflesque design to launch them out there, problem would be solved. That technology is completely possible and already exists, so no reason it can't be done with very little modification. Only downside is firing a weapon of that type requires ridiculous amounts of energy... which oddly enough, the nuclear generator itself would provide; problem solved.

Public opinion: people have been subject to nuclear tests, seen horrible pictures of the effects of radiation, went through the cold war, and generally have been misinformed and lied to about the benefits and detriments of nuclear power constantly. The biggest issue to overcome here is willful ignorance; not only are they ignorant, they KNOW they're ignorant and they LIKE it that way, and have no intent on learning otherwise. "Don't confuse me with the facts!"

Alternative sources of energy, such as coal reactors, would be phazed out as they're inferiour technology, and far more dangerous to the environment, and supply vast amounts of the materials to create smog and acidic rain. However, this would mean laying off all the people who live based on these reactors... and they probably won't be capable of being upskilled (ew management hotwords) into being nuclear certified. This would flat out kill off several towns who rely on coal for their survival and their entire economy and job market. This would not go over well.

R&D costs are present, as the attempt to produce a FUSION reactor, as opposed to a FISSION one, is still present (fusion uses far less fuel at a time, so worst case scenerio of an explosion would be tiny compared to a fission one; they don't emit radiation, and their only emissions are water and hydrogen (which can actually also be used to power stuff), but so far the only way to produce fission is at well over any temperature that any metal can withstand so we have nothing to hold it in that wouldn't melt). And of course, despite that fusion would basically remove all need for fission reactors period, and more or less remove the need for pretty much any other source of power... they'd still suffer from fears of danger, and bad publicity.

All things considered, we should really just be investing in alternative sources of energy like solar power. Solar power USED to be difficult as hell to make use of... these days? It takes relatively little room, and provides a massive amount of power with some of the newer designs. From tidal force generators, to wind turbines and so on, these options are highly useful, especially if placed in areas of remoteness where they really won't bother many people.

That being said, there's no reason not to start implimenting solar panel shingles on houses, it's FREE electricity more or less... I wouldn't suggest it for where I live though (they'd die from the stupid amounts of snow) but in many areas this's perfectly viable and will greatly reduce electricity bills.

I mean come on, the ELECTRIC COMPANY has been using advertisements asking people NOT to use electricty... really... a company... asking yeu... to not buy their product. Do yeu think this might be just kiiiiiiiind of something that one may want to pay attention to? >.>;;