User Tag List

First 123 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Actually, almost all criminologists will tell you it's not a deterrent.

Death Penalty Does Not Deter Murder, According to New Survey of America's Leading Criminologists

WASHINGTON, June 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Eighty-eight percent of the country's top criminologists do not believe the death penalty acts as a deterrent to homicide, according to a new study published today in Northwestern University School of Law's Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology authored by Professor Michael Radelet, Chair of the Department of Sociology at the University of Colorado-Boulder, and Traci Lacock, an attorney and Sociology graduate student in Boulder.

Coming on the heels of New Mexico's abolition of the death penalty and amid a national trend away from capital punishment because of concerns about its high costs, executing the innocent, unfairness in application, failure to provide "closure" for victims, and other issues, the study entitled "Do Executions Lower Homicide Rates? The Views of Leading Criminologists" undermines deterrence as a rationale for maintaining the punishment.

Eighty-seven percent of the expert criminologists believe that abolition of the death penalty would not have any significant effect on murder rates. In addition, 75 percent of the respondents agree that "debates about the death penalty distract Congress and state legislatures from focusing on real solutions to crime problems."

The survey relied on questionnaires completed by the most pre-eminent criminologists in the country, including: Fellows in the American Society of Criminology; winners of the American Society of Criminology's prestigious Southerland Award; and recent presidents of the American Society of Criminology. The American Society of Criminology is the top professional organization of criminologists in the world. Respondents were not asked for their personal opinion about the wisdom of the death penalty, but instead to answer the questions only on the basis of their understandings of the empirical research.

The study concludes: "Our survey indicates that the vast majority of the world's top criminologists believe that the empirical research has revealed the deterrence hypothesis for a myth... [T]he consensus among criminologists is that the death penalty does not add any significant deterrent effect above that of long-term imprisonment."
    Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well... the criminologists might be mistaken. I'll stick to questioning the direct evidence.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

A September 2000 New York Times survey found that during the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48 to 101 percent higher than in states without the death penalty.

FBI data shows that 10 of the 12 states without capital punishment in 2007 had homicide rates below the national average.

The murder rate in non-Death Penalty states has remained consistently lower than the rate in States with the Death Penalty.

The Death Penalty and Deterrence

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Stay away from science.
    But of course.*smirks even more*

Also, determining the truth by vote, even if the vote comes from experts, is probably not a good idea. If I were I to do that, then I would have to stop believing that the moon landing was a hoax, since most people think it really happened.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    But of course.*smirks even more*

Also, determining the truth by vote, even if the vote comes from experts, is probably not a good idea. If I were I to do that, then I would have to stop believing that the moon landing was hoax, since most people think it really happened.
    Also, stay away from statistics.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    A September 2000 New York Times survey found that during the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48 to 101 percent higher than in states without the death penalty.
    So you believe the death penalty causes more people to murder.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

FBI data shows that 10 of the 12 states without capital punishment in 2007 had homicide rates below the national average.

The murder rate in non-Death Penalty states has remained consistently lower than the rate in States with the Death Penalty.

The Death Penalty and Deterrence
    These graphs show a correlation and not a causation. For example states with higher murder rates might choose to have a death penalty simply because murder is more of an issue there. What is more enlightening is to look at statistics before and after times where states instituted or revoked capital punishment.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    These graphs show a correlation and not a causation. For example states with higher murder rates might choose to have a death penalty simply because murder is more of an issue there. What is more enlightening is to look at statistics before and after times where states instituted or revoked capital punishment.
    I think you're misinterpreting the data, it's suggesting a lack of causation. Causation that would support the death penalty = crime deterrence theory.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think you're misinterpreting the data, it's suggesting a lack of causation. Causation that would support the death penalty = crime deterrence theory.
    Heh, I think we are just arguing semantics at this point. Let me clarify my point. Your data is incomplete. You cannot draw a meaningful conclusion from it. The more relevant data involves looking at murder rates before and after a state instituted or revoked a death penalty.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Heh, I think we are just arguing semantics at this point. Let me clarify my point. Your data is incomplete. You cannot draw a meaningful conclusion from it. The more relevant data involves looking at murder rates before and after a state instituted or revoked a death penalty.
    Simply put, the conclusion it draws is that over that last 20 years, the death penalty hasn't been shown to lower murder rates. No casual relationship is evident.

I'd be interested in data that suggests otherwise though.