User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default The Knife and Gas Station

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I tried my best.

Basically the other night, around 2:30 in the morning me and my friend were walking around town. I, as always, carried my ka-bar knife (3/4 the size of the full size kabars) on my belt. It is legal to do so in my state.

I went into a gas station, and even though my friend in I carried along with a pleasent converstaion and I directly got a ice tea, and had the money to pay for it in my hand, the woman at the counter looked funny

Took me a second to realize that she was probably scared, thought I would rob her or something. After I politely greeted her and put the ice tea and money on the counter, she relaxed some, but still looked very tense, though the knife was on my belt, in a sheath, buckled in, and my hands were on the counter. I personally think that she is smart to have noticed, and didnt really act any different than i would. She was being wary.

The thing is though, she asked "Do you always carry a big knife strapped on your belt" I said Yes, she asked somethin to the equivalent of "why" and i said, i dont know, for different reasons. I didnt want to get into h0w I use my knife constantly through the day as a sort of tool-in-one for many diff problem (none violent lol) when she said

"there were two stabbings up the road a few nights ago" IN a way that spelled out "Your wierd for having it/dissaproving that I wore it"
    I highly doubt I missread that, and my friend thought the same thing

I said "Well I guess thats a pretty good reason to have it, now im less likely to be a stab victim" To which she didnt respond and looked at me wierd.. I paid and left.

...Can someone explain the rationale today that is basically that "good" people dont have/need weapons. That only "bad" people and cops do? I live in an area where it is normal to see a guy with a knife, (it is more the fact im 19 and look kinda mean and it was 230 that did it) because we are fairly rural.
    Im not debating being wary of me, she should have been I was out at night nad had a knife, but what is this lack of understanding of

"If a bad person has a knife, I too would like a knife to equalize it and to not let myself be as easy a victim, if at all"

Not to mention the fact that knives have a variety of uses, and i feel lost without mine lol.

Also, does anyone else feel like the American government, at least, wants the citizens to be sheep unable to protect themselves, and only wants people tehy have direct control of to be dangerous? Or as my friends put it, they want to neuter us unless we work for them.

And before anyone says anything about "less weapons equals more peace" I live in a state with VERY lax gun and weapon laws, and we have one of the most peacful states to live in.

Disclaimer: Please, don't lecture me on things like "You know you cant use a knife legally in blah de blah" and "what if they had a gun" or stuff like that. I know the laws, and have a working head on my shoulder.
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Population density
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

Some people are sheep, and some people aren't.

The sheep depend on the non-sheep for their ongoing well-being... an arrangement which tends to annoy the sheep, when they notice it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

It's all self-reinforcing.

Your state has lax gun control laws, so people there are more familiar with guns and their uses besides just robbing banks. A place with stricter gun control laws is going to feel less safe about guns because more people will get them illegally to do illegal things with, like robbing banks.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It's all self-reinforcing.

Your state has lax gun control laws, so people there are more familiar with guns and their uses besides just robbing banks. A place with stricter gun control laws is going to feel less safe about guns because more people will get them illegally to do illegal things with, like robbing banks.

This. In most cases, the stricter the gun control, the more people are used to encountering them in a highly negative situation.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    And before anyone says anything about "less weapons equals more peace" I live in a state with VERY lax gun and weapon laws, and we have one of the most peacful states to live in.
    If we look at the firearms death rate per 100,000, the states that have the least firearm deaths are:

Hawaii
    Massachusetts
    Connecticut
    New Jersey
    New York

These states have some of the strictest gun laws in the US.

And the states with the most gun deaths, not surprisingly, also tend to have the loosest gun laws, like Tennessee, Wyoming, Arizona, and Nevada.

Firearms Death Rate per 100,000 (most recent) by state - StateMaster.com

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If we look at the firearms death rate per 100,000, the states that have the least firearm deaths are:

Hawaii
    Massachusetts
    Connecticut
    New Jersey
    New York

These states have some of the strictest gun laws in the US.

And the states with the most gun deaths, not surprisingly, also tend to have the loosest gun laws, like Tennessee, Wyoming, Arizona, and Nevada.

Firearms Death Rate per 100,000 (most recent) by state - StateMaster.com
    Yeah... and I noticed your post carefully excluded the District of Columbia, which until recently had an outright ban on handguns and has very strict regulation of long guns, and yet has a higher gun deaths rate by far than any state.

And this is from your source.

Like the old saying says... "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure." You've proven it yet again.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yeah... and I noticed your post carefully excluded the District of Columbia, which until recently had an outright ban on handguns and has very strict regulation of long guns, and yet has a higher gun deaths rate by far than any state.

And this is from your source.

Like the old saying says... "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure." You've proven it yet again.
    Crime in D.C. is a special case. You seem to be ignoring the obvious overall trend.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Crime in D.C. is a special case. You seem to be ignoring the obvious overall trend.
    Correlation, you mean. And why exactly is crime in DC a special case?

Enneagram
    1w2

Aren't there already several threads about gun control...which is the direction this thread is headed?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3