User Tag List

First 234

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Every man thinks the ways of his hearth and village are the ways of the world.

[sigh]
    If you can form a town/state/country where all the residents think carrying weapons around is ok, then you're welcome to try to form it. It's just polite manners not to carry weapons around in the civilized world. Alas, there's no point to carrying on here...
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    If you can form a town/state/country where all the residents think carrying weapons around is ok, then you're welcome to try to form it. It's just polite manners not to carry weapons around in the civilized world. Alas, there's no point to carrying on here...
    Pardon me for saying so, but these places already exist, right here in the US.

...strange as it may seem to a provincial suburbanite...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    Also I've never, NEVER agreed with "nobody does this" as a valid argument for not being allowed to do something.
    But it means that you should be aware that "most people" will think that thing you're doing to be odd, out of the ordinary, and possibly suspicious, because they are not used to it. Meaning, it would help you to be aware of the reactions you're going to get from people because of your choices to go against the flow or against "popular wisdom."
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    But it means that you should be aware that "most people" will think that thing you're doing to be odd, out of the ordinary, and possibly suspicious, because they are not used to it. Meaning, it would help you to be aware of the reactions you're going to get from people because of your choices to go against the flow or against "popular wisdom."
    I understand, maybe I phrased it incorrectly.

Just because a few outspoken people say "NObody cares" has never seemed like a reason to NOT do something I believed in. Especially since on most issues there is an unspoken group of people who DO care.
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    You need to understand right now that carrying a big knife like that around all the time is very strange. It's creepy, that's all there is to it. Self-defense preparation is one thing, but that usually consists of like a pocket knife or pepper spray or something along those lines. Imagine someone with ninja stars on a utility belt walking around all the time like that. For pete's sake, you look like a jackass. Nobody goes around wielding a shotgun slung around their back! If you use the knife it's one thing, but leave it in your car or at home. It's not good manners to carry weapons into public establishments, unless you are a duly appointed law enforcement officer.

Just lose the knife.
    All this. Regardless of it being legal and your right to protect yourself, one day you will be singled out simply because no one can be positive YOU didn't commit the last stabbing homicide someone heard about when they see you walking around with a knife on display.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

OP should not be surprised that people give him funny looks when they notice a huge fucking knife sticking out of his belt. Conversely, OP has the right to carry said knife, and it's obviously his right/choice to do so. I don't understand why this conversation has dragged on as far as it already has.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4