User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTx

It would seem odd, to me, to see a random guy carrying a knife or gun on his belt. I'm not sure how I would feel about that. Nervous perhaps. The only people who openly carry knives around where I live are bikers.

Edit: A little research on local knife laws has been interesting. There are no restrictions on size or materials, but there are restrictions on type, purpose, and concealment. The knife has to have a utilitarian purpose.. carrying the knife for self-defense counts as a weapon which then makes it illegal.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

personally i don't like switchblades. that's just my first gut reaction to weoponry. guns are too fast and blunt imo. hammers are better, more judicious weopons. metal poles are also ok by me, though you'd have to be sneakier with them. plus they are heavy. badges don't carry as much weight but noone take them as seriously these days. dunno. caught in a loop.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Our country was founded on the principle that above all else a man or woman can pursue their life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness (or property). How else can man pursue these without first being able to defend his life against all enemies, foreign and domestic, to the utmost of his capacities?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    It would seem odd, to me, to see a random guy carrying a knife or gun on his belt. I'm not sure how I would feel about that. Nervous perhaps. The only people who openly carry knives around where I live are bikers.

Edit: A little research on local knife laws has been interesting. There are no restrictions on size or materials, but there are restrictions on type, purpose, and concealment. The knife has to have a utilitarian purpose.. carrying the knife for self-defense counts as a weapon which then makes it illegal.
    I sometimes see a random person with a gun in their belt. Of course, I also live in West Virginia.

MBTI
    INFJ

The laws here in NZ are pretty strict. That said, if someone was out in the bush hunting people probably wouldn't think much of it. We don't have too much violent crime, although I hear that domestic violence is relatively high. So nobody thinks much of it. Concealed weapons are definitely illegal.

W.r.t. the lady in the shop. Someone could understand that there's a need for personal protection and still be concerned in case it was a red herring explanation. As banana mentioned, it's ambiguous.

As she had heard about recent stabbings in the area, she may also have been worrying about it before you came in. On a dark night with no company

Totally get your POV though. I'd feel more comfortable carrying some form of self-defence mechanism too.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

You need to understand right now that carrying a big knife like that around all the time is very strange. It's creepy, that's all there is to it. Self-defense preparation is one thing, but that usually consists of like a pocket knife or pepper spray or something along those lines. Imagine someone with ninja stars on a utility belt walking around all the time like that. For pete's sake, you look like a jackass. Nobody goes around wielding a shotgun slung around their back! If you use the knife it's one thing, but leave it in your car or at home. It's not good manners to carry weapons into public establishments, unless you are a duly appointed law enforcement officer.

Just lose the knife.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    You need to understand right now that carrying a big knife like that around all the time is very strange. It's creepy, that's all there is to it. Self-defense preparation is one thing, but that usually consists of like a pocket knife or pepper spray or something along those lines. Imagine someone with ninja stars on a utility belt walking around all the time like that. For pete's sake, you look like a jackass. Nobody goes around wielding a shotgun slung around their back! If you use the knife it's one thing, but leave it in your car or at home. It's not good manners to carry weapons into public establishments, unless you are a duly appointed law enforcement officer.

Just lose the knife.
    I think the fact people think its creepy is the problem.
    Besides, have you ever heard about the former texas senator who left her gun in her car regulary, to have a maniac drive into a resteraunt, execute people and kill both her parents? Yeah, leaving it the car does a whole lot of good.

YouTube - Mass Murders
    Here is her talking about it.

Also I've never, NEVER agreed with "nobody does this" as a valid argument for not being allowed to do something. Its ridiculous. I was also told that once when it came to teachers showing favoritism in high school, i thought it was blatant, and wrong, so i started a petition, many student also argued vehemetly with me based on "no one else cares". That doesnt change if its wrong or not. I guarentee every big issue that people have championed against, there were people who said "nobody ccares" or "nobody does this"
    I dont believe things because of what other people think

Also, I do use the knife. I use knife all day long in many different ways, like I said its turned into a many-tools-in-one type object for me. They are highly versatile, and a large carbon steel knife can sustain the amount of work i put it through (Not to mention actually cut things) as opposed to a little stainless steel 5 dollar pocket knife.

Another thing, point blank, i would never depend on pepper spray for my life.
    YouTube - Cop fight
    The cop sprayed the guy with pepper spray, only to get the fuck beat out of him.
    As for pocket knives, they are deadly weapons still, but one thing I have found from research/talking to people is that a fight will break out, and only after will someone realize they have been stabbed.
    I gaurantee it wasnt will a ka-bar. Someone would notice that.
    And i know having a ka-bar or a gun isnt a sure thing for winning, and that people have used pocket knives and pepper spray effectivly, but i am not going to wager my life on pepper spray.

And I also dont agree that police should be the only ones with weapons, I dont agree that a group of people who can break laws, abuse thier power and then claim its for the law be the only ones with guns. Another thing to note is even in the past many conquering and oppresive nations outlaw the normal person to have weapons, note this is where most stick fighting martial arts developed from (Bo staff, shillelaghs)

Another thing. ITS LEGAL. I am legally allowed to do it. There is nothign wrong with it, my personal beliefe is that open carry laws are atrophied due to lack of use, but I am legally allowed to do it. I dont think laws=the right thing to do, but its worth noting.

I would love to carry it concealed. To make it less "creepy". Unfortunantly its illegal. I have had a concealed FIREARMS permit before (contrary to popular belief, at least in my state, there is no blanker concealed WEAPONS of all kind permit) and it still wouldnt let me.

And carrying a knife for self defense is not considered the same thing as carrying it to plan to do harm to someone, because you dont cause the situation, i dont remember the legal jargon about it but thats what Ive found everywhere Ive looked.

Do you have any arguements other than "Im a sheep i trust my shepards"
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    I think the fact people think its creepy is the problem.
    Besides, have you ever heard about the former texas senator who left her gun in her car regulary, to have a maniac drive into a resteraunt, execute people and kill both her parents? Yeah, leaving it the car does a whole lot of good.

YouTube - Mass Murders
    Here is her talking about it.

Also I've never, NEVER agreed with "nobody does this" as a valid argument for not being allowed to do something. Its ridiculous. I was also told that once when it came to teachers showing favoritism in high school, i thought it was blatant, and wrong, so i started a petition, many student also argued vehemetly with me based on "no one else cares". That doesnt change if its wrong or not. I guarentee every big issue that people have championed against, there were people who said "nobody ccares" or "nobody does this"
    I dont believe things because of what other people think

Also, I do use the knife. I use knife all day long in many different ways, like I said its turned into a many-tools-in-one type object for me. They are highly versatile, and a large carbon steel knife can sustain the amount of work i put it through (Not to mention actually cut things) as opposed to a little stainless steel 5 dollar pocket knife.

Another thing, point blank, i would never depend on pepper spray for my life.
    YouTube - Cop fight
    The cop sprayed the guy with pepper spray, only to get the fuck beat out of him.
    As for pocket knives, they are deadly weapons still, but one thing I have found from research/talking to people is that a fight will break out, and only after will someone realize they have been stabbed.
    I gaurantee it wasnt will a ka-bar. Someone would notice that.
    And i know having a ka-bar or a gun isnt a sure thing for winning, and that people have used pocket knives and pepper spray effectivly, but i am not going to wager my life on pepper spray.

And I also dont agree that police should be the only ones with weapons, I dont agree that a group of people who can break laws, abuse thier power and then claim its for the law be the only ones with guns. Another thing to note is even in the past many conquering and oppresive nations outlaw the normal person to have weapons, note this is where most stick fighting martial arts developed from (Bo staff, shillelaghs)

Another thing. ITS LEGAL. I am legally allowed to do it. There is nothign wrong with it, my personal beliefe is that open carry laws are atrophied due to lack of use, but I am legally allowed to do it. I dont think laws=the right thing to do, but its worth noting.

I would love to carry it concealed. To make it less "creepy". Unfortunantly its illegal. I have had a concealed FIREARMS permit before (contrary to popular belief, at least in my state, there is no blanker concealed WEAPONS of all kind permit) and it still wouldnt let me.

And carrying a knife for self defense is not considered the same thing as carrying it to plan to do harm to someone, because you dont cause the situation, i dont remember the legal jargon about it but thats what Ive found everywhere Ive looked.

Do you have any arguements other than "Im a sheep i trust my shepards"
    +1000

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Slavery used to be legal.

You can't go around town strapped with a ka-bar knife and expect everyone to think nothing of it. It's weird. And it probably should be illegal. Carrying a weapon into a public place, especially a store, is intimidating and makes others ill at ease. It poses obvious dangers. It's not arbitrary that people think it's weird.
    If you want to believe the sun rises in the west, go right ahead...
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Slavery used to be legal.

You can't go around town strapped with a ka-bar knife and expect everyone to think nothing of it. It's weird. And it probably should be illegal. Carrying a weapon into a public place, especially a store, is intimidating and makes others ill at ease. It poses obvious dangers. It's not arbitrary that people think it's weird.
    If you want to believe the sun rises in the west, go right ahead...
    Every man thinks the ways of his hearth and village are the ways of the world.

[sigh]