User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Correlation, you mean. And why exactly is crime in DC a special case?
    Because it's a city without a state to buffer the numbers. That list would nearly invert if you change a couple things around, like when I searched for Gun homicides/ gun crime instead of just pure deaths, Wyoming, Vermont, Alaska wind up on the bottom with Tennessee and Nevada being in the middle, but New York jumps near the top.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Correlation, you mean. And why exactly is crime in DC a special case?
    The strong correlation could be pure coincidence, or the gun laws a state adopts are indeed relevant to the gun deaths in the state. The latter would seem more likely.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Those numbers also don't mention whether the firearms deaths are violent crime or not. I'd be willing to bet that Alaska has high numbers of accidental hunting deaths and suicides by gun compared to most places in America. And going by state is a silly way to look at this. Los Angeles has MUCH harsher gun control than California does at the state level. If you go by the murder rate, it's D.C. way up at the top, then Louisiana (New Orleans post-Katrina is easily the most violent major city in America), Maryland (Baltimore and poor D.C. suburbs), Alabama, New Mexico. There is no correlation between strict gun control laws at the state level and more/less gun violence. There is CLEAR correlation between strict gun control laws at the municipal level and high violent crime rates.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Im not sure if this is right, need to look it up, but i saw somewhere that suicides make up like 50% of gun deaths, or a sizable portion, and that you are more likely to kill yourself with a gun because it is quick and painless, supposedly.

I plan to look more into it
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    Im not sure if this is right, need to look it up, but i saw somewhere that suicides make up like 50% of gun deaths, or a sizable portion, and that you are more likely to kill yourself with a gun because it is quick and painless, supposedly.

I plan to look more into it

Men are also far more likely to use guns to commit suicide, and it's one reason they are far more "successful."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Men are also far more likely to use guns to commit suicide, and it's one reason they are far more "successful."
    Men tend to "really mean it" when they make the attempt. None of this swallow-fifty-pills-and-dial-nine-one-one stuff...

MBTI
    YaYa

G-day Mick. Have the roos bit your bum yet?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Whether it's good, bad, or ugly.

I wouldn't be afraid to carry a knife around, but I would let it be seen. I would only use it defensively, but I would use it. Self defense and awareness are part of having a strong will to survive.

You never know when someone is going to mess with you. You never know when someone is going to slap you up one too many times. And when there are reports of stabbings in the area, you're right- all the more reason to have it.

I think that this justifies the right to carry a knife.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    NICE

Carrying a knife openly is an ambiguous statement. Carrying one, albeit covertly, is not - it is not, even, in fact a statement.

Presumably a thief would like to project two contradictory posititions: I look innocent and wouldn't hurt a fly (the lead up); I am a mean muthu who will kill ya (the execution). Rarely is this successful, as it requires a formidable degree of subterfuge, which most armed robbers, hyped-up, are incapable of maintaining.

Peope of a nervous disposition should avoid such occupations as late night service staff.

People who carry knives openly should appreciate that their ambiguous statement can be read in several ways. Which is, of course, the intention.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Carrying a knife openly is an ambiguous statement. Carrying one, albeit covertly, is not - it is not, even, in fact a statement.

Presumably a thief would like to project two contradictory posititions: I look innocent and wouldn't hurt a fly (the lead up); I am a mean muthu who will kill ya (the execution). Rarely is this successful, as it requires a formidable degree of subterfuge, which most armed robbers, hyped-up, are incapable of maintaining.

Peope of a nervous disposition should avoid such occupations as late night service staff.

People who carry knives openly should appreciate that their ambiguous statement can be read in several ways. Which is, of course, the intention.

I wish i could wear it concealed, but its against the law where i live. DOesnt matter the blade length, but it must not be concealed.

I also agree, my problem was more of the fact she acted like because there were stabbings i SHOULDNT have a knife...lol i didnt understand the reasoning of that.
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."