First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    In the US, 302 confirmed swine flu deaths out of 43,000 cases. It's not a high proportion. I suppose it depends on the infection rate? When it went rampant in the UK we had 100,000 new cases in a week and they stopped testing it.
    Yeah, but look up the figures--only about 4% of people who get swine flu even require hospitalization; for most it's just like the regular flu and goes away on its own in a couple weeks.

About .1% of cases result in death--302 deaths and we're seriously worried about this? 302 people die from coconuts falling on their heads each year, for crying out loud.

It's just like terrorism--you can't really say this in America without getting emotionally blackmailed by grieving widows, but has anybody ever noticed that, with the exception of 9/11, terrorism is just not that big a fucking deal?

I mean do you know what odds of being involved in a terrorist attack in the US are? (Not so good, and let's leave it at that.)
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP

I'm getting sick of these lame pandemics. Swine-flu? SARS? Can't we have a proper pandemic? What are we paying our governments for if not for the accidental release of horrific killer viruses on unsuspecting populations?

Does anyone here even know someone who's had verified swine-flu?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I'm getting sick of these lame pandemics. Swine-flu? SARS? Can't we have a proper pandemic? What are we paying our governments for if not for the accidental release of horrific killer viruses on unsuspecting populations?

Does anyone here even know someone who's had verified swine-flu?
    I know two confirmed with blood tests, and then each of those were in interaction with a handful of people who had similar symptoms and decided that once the two of them were confirmed positive to stay home on their own volition.

The problem is that the WHO keeps saying "this could be a big deal" (which they all COULD HAVE been) but then the media takes the story and abuses the ethics of communicating the WHO as literally as possible for ratings, and on top of that, the WHO hasn't been as mathematically precise as they could have been wrt predictions (though admittedly that's a really difficult thing to predict).

The warnings you hear from reputable places are not over-reactions; swine flu could very well be a big deal. Note the emphasis on "could" though; a lot depends on mutations, which is directly correlated to how often it has the opportunity to mutate, hence, people not spreading the currently mild version around more than is necessary.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Yeah, it reminds me of that South Park where they show a news story explaining that a possible plane crash was averted and that no one was hurt, but THIS IS HOW BAD IT COULD HAVE BEEN!! and proceed to show a dramatized video of the plane crashing into a school and everybody dying.

I swear, the US and its scaremongering media!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Yeah, it reminds me of that South Park where they show a news story explaining that a possible plane crash was averted and that no one was hurt, but THIS IS HOW BAD IT COULD HAVE BEEN!! and proceed to show a dramatized video of the plane crashing into a school and everybody dying.

I swear, the US and its scaremongering media!
    Normally I'd agree with you about the scaremongering media, but my sources are a Canadian and a New Zealand disease control official, with PhDs in the subject area who have post-doced on this very type of thing. They both seem a little more concerned than me.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Only-time-will-tell..!!!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    STFU

all that previous talk about bacon has me fiercely hungry.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INxJ

Oh, please.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Swine flu has the POTENTIAL to become far more dangerous... it just doesn't look like it's going to at this point.

I already caught it awhile ago, no real ill effects, other than it sucked a little more than the normal flu, but big deal.

The only thing really dangerous about it, is that it has a similar structure to worse strains, which means it is far more likely to be capable of mutating into a very, very dangerous strain. Chances are though, it's not going to happen at this point.

The media will hype it far worse than it really is though... a tens of thousands of people die every year from the flu anyways, and complications arising from such, in north america alone. Mostly, these are the elderly, and the exceptionally young, and those with otherwise compromised immune systems. The biggest risk of the swine flu is it has the potential to mutate in such a way that it triggers an overreaction in people with strong immune systems, to the point that those with really strong immune systems will actually kill themselves. For the most part, it hasn't really mutated to that degree, and while it does hold some small danger of it, it doesn't look likely to do so.

*IF* it does mutate heavily towards that direction, it could become a really nasty thing that could have a death toll of closer to 20% than 0.1% someone quoted earlier above me. This would be more than a little dangerous. Chances are it won't do that, but for every little death the media will hype it as if ZOMG SWINE FLU KILLS AGAIN! Really? Flu kills people all the time, it's not a big deal, be quiet about it until it swaps to being nasty as hell. If it doesn't mutate that way, noone cares.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Swine flu has the POTENTIAL to become far more dangerous... it just doesn't look like it's going to at this point.

I already caught it awhile ago, no real ill effects, other than it sucked a little more than the normal flu, but big deal.

The only thing really dangerous about it, is that it has a similar structure to worse strains, which means it is far more likely to be capable of mutating into a very, very dangerous strain. Chances are though, it's not going to happen at this point.

The media will hype it far worse than it really is though... a tens of thousands of people die every year from the flu anyways, and complications arising from such, in north america alone. Mostly, these are the elderly, and the exceptionally young, and those with otherwise compromised immune systems. The biggest risk of the swine flu is it has the potential to mutate in such a way that it triggers an overreaction in people with strong immune systems, to the point that those with really strong immune systems will actually kill themselves. For the most part, it hasn't really mutated to that degree, and while it does hold some small danger of it, it doesn't look likely to do so.

*IF* it does mutate heavily towards that direction, it could become a really nasty thing that could have a death toll of closer to 20% than 0.1% someone quoted earlier above me. This would be more than a little dangerous. Chances are it won't do that, but for every little death the media will hype it as if ZOMG SWINE FLU KILLS AGAIN! Really? Flu kills people all the time, it's not a big deal, be quiet about it until it swaps to being nasty as hell. If it doesn't mutate that way, noone cares.
    I see the point, but it is newsworthy...

It's happening in the middle of the Summer - as i said we had an estimated 100,000 cases in hot weather in July. The numbers were way higher than max winter conditions for a regular flu season. In July.

Secondly, it's causing fatalities at a low rate, sure, but in odd sectors.. instead of being the elderly - this time they seem to have higher resistance due to something they were exposed to if one is over 65 now.

instead it seems to hit pregnant mothers, kids and stuff. So *sure* it is small numbers, but when kids die of flu in the middle of summer, even in small numbers, and there are 100,000 cases in a week. Isnt that worthy of media and public concern? I think so.

Now, I dont think its worthy of hysteria however!