User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

I wish somewhere on the news some talking head would just say this is entire SWINE FLU PANDEMIC!!!!!!!!! is heaping load of garbage. But as most us know in the news world ratings are far more important than the actual news.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

If we stand united, we can win it! One swine at a time!
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I mean, I wouldn't want to get it anyway, because having the flu sucks, but...

during a normal flu outbreak not even half the population gets it. In the influenza outbreak of 1918 affected over 25% of the US population.

50>25.

...wtf.
    Lets see the problems with this...

1. It's basically a warning. Meaning it might or might not(Hint: The latter) happen.

2. A flu virus infecting nearly 150,000,000 people is absolutely absurd. The Idea of it killing anywhere near close to that number with symptoms of the regular flu is even more absurd. Even if it did some how by the wrath of some angry God infected half of America and kill 90,000 to boot, that's a .0006% death rate!

3. It was 1918. They were treating scrapes with heroin and medical technology is not nearly as advanced as it is now. Unless you have no immune system and/or live impossibly far away from a Clinic/Pharmacist/Walmart, you shouldn't worry.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Swine flu? But but....I'm still worried about the Bird Flu and West Nile.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    Lets see the problems with this...

1. It's basically a warning. Meaning it might or might not(Hint: The latter) happen.

2. A flu virus infecting nearly 150,000,000 people is absolutely absurd. The Idea of it killing anywhere near close to that number with symptoms of the regular flu is even more absurd. Even if it did some how by the wrath of some angry God infected half of America and kill 90,000 to boot, that's a .0006% death rate!

3. It was 1918. They were treating scrapes with heroin and medical technology is not nearly as advanced as it is now. Unless you have no immune system and/or live impossibly far away from a Clinic/Pharmacist/Walmart, you shouldn't worry.
    This is ill-informed opinion, though.

No one is concerned about this strain of flu being a big deal, people are concerned about this strain MUTATING (which is very possible, and perhaps likely given the number of people that will contact this weak version of it).

The problem is that it could easily mutate into a very lethal version. That is the problem. The more people that get it, the more it increases the chance of mutating into a lethal version.

And re: the comment about immune systems, the healthier you are, the more concerned you should be. Why? Because the way a cytokine storm functions (which is how swine flu functions) is that it uses your own strength against you. Ever heard of autoimmune disorders? Similar idea. Your body attacks itself. The stronger you are, the more violently your body attacks itself. It's a positive feedback loop.

Does this all mean that we should throw our hands up in panic? Absolutely not. But does it mean we should wash our hands regularly and be conscious of the potential seriousness? Yes. Also, because of air travel, if it was like the Spanish Flu that killed a huge fraction of the world, it would do more damage because air travel includes another factor that would exponentially adversely affect the world's prognosis.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INXP

Yeah, it's real. We had an outbreak at my workplace, and people who got it were pretty damned sick. No-one died, but it was apparently very unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    ^ This.

Isn't the normal flu supposed to be worse?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was hellishly sick for about three weeks earlier in the summer. I wonder if I already had it. I hope so.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    ^ This.

Isn't the normal flu supposed to be worse?
    The normal flu is currently worse. Definitely.

Swine flu, however, has the potential to seriously kick the ass of humans if it mutates badly. (Doesn't mean it will, of course. Just means that it COULD be real bad news.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Yeah, it's real. We had an outbreak at my workplace, and people who got it were pretty damned sick. No-one died, but it was apparently very unpleasant.
    They all went to a doctor and got a verfied test that said absolutely they had H1N1?

Because I my husband was sick last August for about a month with respritory flu symptoms and no one tested him for anything, just said "yeah, flu--- nothing we can do." They never tested him, he could have had anything. Lots of viruses go around and make people sick. Unless they test, they can't know what is influenza and what is something else like an adenovirus or etc.