User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 41

  1. #21
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    What the HELL! The doctors should not just be giving the information to the Parents and in fact THEY should not be informed unless the kid wants them to know. He's an adult for god's sake! Not a very responsible adult, but an adult nonetheless! Give the man his diagnosis!
    I agree.
    At 19, he has a right to know.
    I could throw a spin on this story and say charges could be filed against the parents,
    if it could be proven the child had no idea he even had a liver problem.
    By not being told, he then went out and drank alcohol without any idea of the consequences.
    Inadvertently, his own parents will have killed him.

    Where's the public outcry?
    We just don't have the facts at our disposal.

  2. #22
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    Best post evar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Gareth's father Brian Anderson said his son is totally unaware that his days are numbered.

    "We haven't told him and we are not going to tell him," he said.

    That means, this kid is completely unaware of the seriousness of his condition.
    That kid probably wasn't even told not to drink, because his parents kept him in the dark.
    That makes his parents negligent idiots.

    Frankly, I think there is much more to this story than meets the eye.
    I cannot render a final opinion, without all the relevant facts.
    This kid could have an auto-immune disease that attacked his liver,
    or for all we know, be an undiagnosed diabetic with liver problems.

    The whole story has gaping holes in it.
    To pass judgment on the kid without knowing the truth, is reckless.
    I think drinking to the point of intoxication is reckless. Saying this kid isn't aware of a liver condition doesn't mean it takes the responsibility of drinking out of his hands.

    Clearly, after I put in my "I think" two cents, I said judging the kid doesn't do much good. The situation is, a kid's dying and needs a liver. So, I hope he gets one and does the right thing.

    But, not drinking underage, following the rules, being responsible.. these things could have given someone in need of a liver the one the kid took. That's all I said. I don't think it was a reckless thing for me to say either.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #23
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    something sounds wrong with this story. There are hundreds of thousands of teens/college students puking thier guts out each saturday and sunday morning across the world from having drank way too much the night before.

    Death from acute alcohol poisening-sure?
    Liver failure-doesnt cirrosis take like ten or fifteen years to develop?

    There is something else wrong with this kid. Perhaps he has a metabolic defect that causes his body to process the alcohol poorly-like an issue with AlDH levels or has an autoimmune condition. There is more to this story than as binge drinking 19 year old.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Sometimes Darwin needs to be right. *sigh*
    No kidding.


    I have no sympathy for the guy. He shouldn't receive a donation that would go to others that were possibly more careful with their health.

  5. #25
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    Liver failure-doesnt cirrosis take like ten or fifteen years to develop?
    If this kid has been a heavy drinker since 5-10, that's the parent's fault.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #26
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    I don't even see why we're having this conversation.
    It isn't a case of 'big mean guy with illimited supply refuses you a liver'.
    It's a case of scarcity where livers aren't really growing on trees and they need to have some selecting criterias.

    A guy who drank his liver to death sure isn't lucky, and maybe he had some previous liver malfunction he didn't know about.
    The thing is, for every such a guy, there's another one who has been eating healthy food and taking care of his body and still needs a liver.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #27
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    someone has to set an example.
    otherwise we wouldn't have any videos to watch during health class.
    we fukin won boys

  8. #28
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I don't even see why we're having this conversation.
    It isn't a case of 'big mean guy with illimited supply refuses you a liver'.
    It's a case of scarcity where livers aren't really growing on trees and they need to have some selecting criterias.

    A guy who drank his liver to death sure isn't lucky, and maybe he had some previous liver malfunction he didn't know about.
    The thing is, for every such a guy, there's another one who has been eating healthy food and taking care of his body and still needs a liver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    someone has to set an example.
    otherwise we wouldn't have any videos to watch during health class.
    It is less a case of whether the kid will actually get a liver transplant and more whether he will be set up as a kind of reverse-martyr for anyone anywhere who is against the consumption of alcohol when there is probably more here than just a kid going binge-drinking too much.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #29
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    he's 19 in college of course he's likely to drink, its part of college life. And I mean this is whats wrong with the world is acting like its the end of the world if you drink underage. He probably like everyone else said has something else wrong with his liver beyond the fact he drank alcohol, so I say he should get a liver and find out what else is wrong. Quit persecueting him, and others just because he drank underage. It's fucking elitist and annoying, so get off your high horse and before you judge him get to know him beyond the article,fuck I hope all you people who might need a liver in the future get rejected, because you're too lame to live.

    Sorry my point is he's 19 and in college its very likely he's going to drink, especially if he wasn't expecting liver failure. And so many people binge drink at 19 and never need new livers, so yeah quit saying it's because he drank. Most of you when you say stuff like this don't know what you're talking about or you get the facts skewed to fit your view. There's not a enough info on this kid, to say whats wrong so I don't know whats wrong, but I'm willing to bet he's an average 19 year old who will party for a few years then graduate school, have to get a career and probably have a family and decide to not drink as much.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  10. #30
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It is less a case of whether the kid will actually get a liver transplant and more whether he will be set up as a kind of reverse-martyr for anyone anywhere who is against the consumption of alcohol when there is probably more here than just a kid going binge-drinking too much.
    listen dr. mrs. the monarch, it's a joke.
    but seriously we do need examples. there's nothing moral about it.
    we need examples.

    i also would have accepted "he can still be an example whether he gets the liver or not" as an appropriate response.

    this thread is tard.
    we fukin won boys

Similar Threads

  1. how picky are you when it comes to alcohol?
    By prplchknz in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM
  2. On the day you are due to die...
    By Kalach in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM
  3. Question Related To Alcohol And Personality..
    By Mondo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 12:48 AM
  4. Geoff's Pics in Nova Scotia, part 2 due to popular demand
    By Geoff in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO